PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheapest recipies.

Options

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi countrymusicfan,

Perhaps if you were to post what you bought in the Grocery Challenge thread we could have a look and see if there are ways that you could cut back.

It's also worth taking a look at Martin's article on Supermarket Shopping: Halve your weekly bill by beating the systemto see if you can pick up any tips.

Pink
  • BAGGY
    BAGGY Posts: 522 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How about brocolli pasta?
    Cheep Pasta
    1/2 tub of Philadlephia cheese
    splish of milk
    frozen brocolli
    Cook pasta, cook brocolli til slightly over done, mash brocolli with cheese and water down with milk if required, stir into pasta. Also nice with cooking bacon scraps stirred through.
  • BAGGY
    BAGGY Posts: 522 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    oops - dunno what happened there ?
  • countrymusicfan
    Options
    Hi countrymusicfan,

Perhaps if you were to post what you bought in the Grocery Challenge thread we could have a look and see if there are ways that you could cut back.

Where do I find this thread? I am a fairly newbie and thought I found all the threads, but this one I haven't seen yet.
    Time is more valuable than money. You can get more money but you can't get more time
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's a sticky - right at the top of the forum listing.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • madge7
    madge7 Posts: 133 Forumite
    Options
    has anyone got a recipe for a good and cheap mushoom dopiaza oer any mushroom curry for that matter?

thanks x
    :T
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think so. I'll look it out and post it when I get home. It's probably a variant of my beef curry recipe. It uses a little bit of fresh ginger: it makes all the difference and the last "knobble" I bought cost me the princely sum of 3p. It also uses separate chilli powder, garam masala and turmeric: this means that you can adjust the heat, spiciness and colour respectively in future, instead of being left with tubs of ready-made curry powder of different strengths which you are never going to use again.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have a very quick and easy mushroom spicy dish. It's from a Curry Club book by Pat Chapman. The protocol seems to be that I can write a list of ingredients but not instructions. I hope that is right.

Mushroom Balti Bhajee

2 tbsp ghee or vegetable oil.
    4oz onions chopped
    1lb button mushrooms ( I use whatever is available)
    1 tbsp mild curry paste
    salt to taste.

He gives a recipe for curry paste, but I just use whatever I have. Sometimes a bit of garlic as well, also black pepper.

Cook in a frying pan or wok. Doesn't take long at all.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think so. I'll look it out and post it when I get home. It's probably a variant of my beef curry recipe. It uses a little bit of fresh ginger (it makes all the difference and my last "knobble" I bought cost me the princely sum of 3p). It also uses separate chilli powder, garam masala and turmeric, so you can adjust the heat, spiciness and colour respectively in future, instead of being left with tubs of ready-made different strengths of curry powder, which you are never going to use again.

That sounds nice, will have to try that.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • madge7
    madge7 Posts: 133 Forumite
    Options
    thanks guys. think i am going to give it a go tonight ... stephen - the ginger sounds interesting!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure