PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

party food on a seriously tight budget

Options
gayle1
gayle1 Posts: 242 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 31 January 2014 at 12:00PM in Old style MoneySaving
please please please help
its my 2 boy birthdays on the 23rd of february and i really need help in planning food i have a budget 0f £30 for food cakes ordered halls paid for it includes bouncy castle.
it mostly needs to be pork free so no sausage rolls/ham sandwiches or sausages on sticks please help.
theres 20 kids 2 diiferent ages one age 8 and one age 6

Comments

• Little_Vics
    Little_Vics Posts: 1,516 Forumite
    Options
    for how many children? How old are they? Sometimes instead of having a buffet it's better to plate up the food so you can control portions - and give every kid a plate with the same stuff on it.

Things that immediately spring to mind:

Pizza - cut up into bite size portions
    a couple of chicken dippers
    wedges (make your own)
    bite size raw veg - carrots, tomatoes cucumber
    Nachos/handful of crisps

Do Iceland still have their cheap party packs?
  • Ladyluck1
    Options
    Cheese straws are easy to make, mini pizzas out of breakfast muffins, cupcakes. Big bag of crisps to dip into!
    I'm C, Mummy to DS 29/11/2010 and DD 02/11/2013

Overdraft PAID OFF
    CC PAID OFF
    GC Sept £141.17/200
  • sooty&sweep
    sooty&sweep Posts: 1,316 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    What time is the party. The reason I ask is alot are 2 - 4 and so after lunch but before tea so they only really want to nibble rather than huge lunch. At alot of parties I went to far too much food was done and so masses of leftovers / waste so watch the amount you do.
    Whatabout sliced up french stick with cheese spread or just butter.
    Jen
  • gayle1
    edited 31 January 2014 at 12:45PM
    Options
    does iceland stuff not have pork?in the partypacks party is 2/4 on a sunday need to see if i can bake muffins was going to do cheese tuna and jam sandwiches pizza but need to look for veggi ones cause of the ethnic minority that dont eat porky.
    i have cups plates napkins ill do tea/coffee and maybe a sandwich 4 mums 2 my boys can eat a fair bit when its buffet ive witnessed the aftermath at china buffet king
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi

What time is the party?

Do you need to provide a birthday cake from the £30? Or two?

Do you need to provide partypacks for the kids to taqke away?

Will the kids actually eat food or is this for show and for them to throw at each other?
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • gayle1
    Options
    no cakes seperate dont need partybags got that covered to bubbles tattoo whistle and a packet of sweets please be nice im not a wasteful person and don't appreciate comments that they would throw food they are nice kids who were brought up not dragged up
  • madnotstupid
    Options
    I wondered about chicken wings, you can buy a big pack cheaply, bake them in BBQ sauce.aldi do frozen pizzas, three in a box, they are just cheese and tomato so no pork. They are also pretty good for crisps, tortilla chips, and I think they often have boxes of mini muffins. In the afternoon you're not trying to provide them with a meal so I would have thought half a dozen pizzas would give 20 kids a slice or two each, add a few more toppings if you have cash left, a couple of types of crisps, biscuits or muffins, carrot sticks and plum tomatos if you have enough ££- and think they'll eat them! sorry not to have prices, I was just thinking you don't need to get too much.
  • skogar
    skogar Posts: 602 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you want to do cold food or hot food?

How old are the children who are going to come?

Children are usually happy eating the types of food they usually eat and are familiar with.

If you are able / want to do hot food could have pizza and / or jacket potatoes and a selection of fillings for them to choose from. That would be fairly cheap.

I know you are trying to avoid pork products but if you only have a few who don't eat pork you could all have hotdogs but have veggie sausages for the non meat / pork eaters.

If cold you could do a selection of sandwiches, crisps, Delia has a recipe for cheese sausage rolls, I've made they are really nice, http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/pastry/vegetarian-sausage-rolls.html

Of course the hedgehog made from a potato covered in foil (although half an orange looks better) with glace cherries for eyes covered in cheese and pinapple, cheese and pickled onions, (cheese and cherry tomatoes) etc. etc. was always a party staple when I was a kid. You could always try the sausages on sticks thing with veggie sausages.

Jam tarts are nice and quick and easy to make, chocolate buns with a little bit of chocolate on top and a smartie. Flapjacks are quick and easy too, cut them into little squares and dip in chocolate if liked. Jelly and icecream - you can get veggie jelly, I think Holland and Barrett sell it.

Hope that helps
    2024 Fashion on the Ration - 61.5/66.5 coupons remaining
    1 cardigan
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    Make lots of jelly and fairy cakes, sausage rolls, cheese straws, crisps and sandwiches. When my two were little we only had the same amount of children as their age so when they were 2 we had two 3 three and so on, we never hired a hall that is just a waste of money we had our parties in the house
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    Not all pizzas have pork products on . You could always have chicken and mushroom or pineapple , sardine or tuna go well with pineapple too.
    Remember not all kids will eat cheese.
    Those little crisp type snacks that are shaped are good for parties,hula hoops etc.
    How about little pots of fruit salad?
    If you did juice and /or water/fruit squash to drink,you wont have to cope with the mad caffeine or sugar rush of some fizzy pop.
    There is going to be cake anyway so they will be full enough.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure