Chess telecom

Options

Comments

• AH-1111
    Options
    My IT service provider was acquired by Chess earlier this year. Since then I have had my subscription to Microsoft Office cancelled without notice - twice. Both times it has been Chess's error. No real explanation, no apology. Monthly direct debits were taken on time & in full.

On a separate matter, Chess asked me to set up a new direct debit to the new Chess bank account. I had to pester them 3 times for such a form to complete their request. When they did send me a form it was a completed one with another customer's bank account details and signature.

IT services and telecommunications are critical platforms. It is impossible to trust Chess to deliver these. It is also impossible to trust them with bank account details too.
  • Rebbe
    Options
    Help
    I have called chess to tel them that i am thinking to go VOIP they told me i am tied in to a 3 year contract and another year to go and to cancel the contract will cost £1000!!! i have never signed a conrcat and never been sent terms and conditions and looked up and saw that he terms and conditions were changed earlier this year ad was nt advised either!!!
    Do i have any rights???
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Rebbe wrote: »
    Help
    I have called chess to tel them that i am thinking to go VOIP they told me i am tied in to a 3 year contract and another year to go and to cancel the contract will cost £1000!!! i have never signed a conrcat and never been sent terms and conditions and looked up and saw that he terms and conditions were changed earlier this year ad was nt advised either!!!
    Do i have any rights???
    Read your contract.
    What does it say about the term?
    You do not have to sign a contract for an agreement to be in place.

What was the change to T&Cs earlier this year?

You need to read the T&Cs that were applicable at the time you started this contract. I know you say they never sent any, but did you ask for the T&Cs?

Is this a business to business arrangement?
    ~£80 a month seems high for a consumer situation.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    Absolutely none. It was your responsibility to read the contract and decided heather if was a good deal for your business or not. I suggest you actually read what you agreed and then note the dates to ensure a cost free departure on your terms, not theirs.
  • Rebbe
    Options
    Hi
    this is a business line
    we do not have a contract!it was just a couple of emails
  • Rebbe
    Options
    at no time did they advise whee to find terms and conditions
  • wealdroam
    edited 23 November 2014 at 10:11PM
    Options
    Hi
    this is a business line
    Then you have no consumer rights.

we do not have a contract!it was just a couple of emails
    You do have a contract.
    The fact that you have been paying for two years confirms this.

It does appear that you do not know the terms of your contract, so this will make it very difficult to enforce your rights if you have no idea what they are.

at no time did they advise whee to find terms and conditions
    And they may say "at no point did the customer ask for a copy of the T&Cs".
    It is very difficult to prove negatives.

If you have no idea of the cancellation terms of your contract, you are in no position to argue against what CT might be saying.

At least you need to read their current T&Cs and see if their cancellation fee matches that. Having said that, of course the contract you agreed to may be different.

Sorry, but without knowing anything about the terms of your contract, you cannot dispute what they are saying.

I would suggest that you give them notice of your intention to terminate and continue to use their services for the remainder of the current three year term.
  • mr_upset
    Options
    wow Chess are clever (!!!!!!) ...

so, wealdroam, i have no consumer rights as its business to business, this actually is news to me, how i pity myself one step from handicapped and 'cos I don't know the fine points of procedure it seems I have to hand over £1,300 to a bunch of money grabbing !!!!!! ....

and in fact this I probably will now do as I want to be rid of this anxiety.

remember, they thrust themselves upon me, I never asked for them, I wasn't even aware until then that my previous (easy in easy out supposedly) providers had gone down .... and it was not my choice my workshop of thirty years has been sold to a housing developer.

seems i am well and truly hammered in my aversion to paperwork ...

Chess I hope rot in hell ...

GOD HOW I DETEST THE TELEPHONE IN ALL ITS FORMS>..
  • wealdroam
    edited 23 November 2014 at 10:55PM
    Options
    mr_upset wrote: »
    wow Chess are clever (!!!!!!) ...

so, wealdroam, i have no consumer rights as its business to business, this actually is news to me, how i pity myself one step from handicapped and 'cos I don't know the fine points of procedure it seems I have to hand over £1,300 to a bunch of money grabbing !!!!!! ....

and in fact this I probably will now do as I want to be rid of this anxiety.

remember, they thrust themselves upon me, I never asked for them, I wasn't even aware until then that my previous (easy in easy out supposedly) providers had gone down .... and it was not my choice my workshop of thirty years has been sold to a housing developer.

seems i am well and truly hammered in my aversion to paperwork ...

Chess I hope rot in hell ...

GOD HOW I DETEST THE TELEPHONE IN ALL ITS FORMS>..
    Hey... hey... lots of new information in there.

Firstly, are mr upset and Rebbe the same person?

If you are acting as a business, then clearly you are not acting as a consumer, so your rights are as spelt out in the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982, but excluding those sections specifically relevant to consumers.

Just because that information is "news to you", that does not mean it is not applicable.

Sorry to hear that you are "one step from handicapped", but I cannot understand why you think that is relevant.

Who said you had to hand over any money for nothing to anybody?
    Did you read my post in full?

Sorry you don't like the message, but that's no reason for your outburst.

Your aversion to paperwork is your downfall.
  • 4TheLittleMan
    Options
    [FONT=&quot]We are also looking into Chess Telecom (Chess Ltd) for their practices in regards to Business Acquisitions. We are interested to hear from anyone who has sold their business or a customer base to Chess in the last 6 years and who is having issues with their contract terms being met by Chess.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Please message me for details if you are in this situation.[/FONT]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure