Forum Home» Motoring

How much for a car wash / mini valet?

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

How much for a car wash / mini valet?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
32 replies 27.4K views
robatworkrobatwork Forumite
5.8K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
Just wondering what's the going rate around the country for a hand car wash including a polish / hoover inside. This wasn't a full valet by any means but I was pretty pleased with £8 for the above - was in Luton.

Replies

• A mini valet is about £20 round here.

Just a wash is £3 and wash and dry is £5 so you did well for £8!
  • Will you still be pleased next time the suns out and it looks scratched to fcuk?
  • andygbandygb Forumite
    14.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will you still be pleased next time the suns out and it looks scratched to fcuk?

:beer:

Exactly, where do we start with this thread?
  • robatworkrobatwork Forumite
    5.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think there is any logic to saying a £20 or £50 valet is less likely to result in scratches than an £8 one. I don't believe the person doing it is rationalising to themselves "This is a cheapo so I will use the extra abrasive sponge".

The only guarantee is to do it yourself.

I remember seeing a TV show about the guy who does Rod Stewart's cars a few years ago - his services were something ludicrous like £2000 per car. I guess if there are people stupid enough to buy "Do ya think I'm sexy" then there is a pop star stupid enough to want his cars cleaned with a toothbrush.

Maybe even he had an off day and scratched Rod's 18th Ferrari with a hangnail.
  • WantToBeSEWantToBeSE Forumite
    7.7K posts
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I pay £5 for a wash, £9 for wash and wax, £12 for wash wax and hoover.
    A proper valet costs about £30 and they do an amazing job!
  • £15 for a mini valet and £50 for a steam valet in the closed down petrol station near here.

Never been disappointed by the £15 version so never bothered paying £50.

Never scratched.
  • Costs me my time, other than some water and detegent and the use of the vacuum cleaner and interior/glass cleaners.

Be a cold day in hell before i let such as the typical roadside car wash crew loose on my vehicles.

I see the typical car wash customers as i drive past, often they are slouched/leaning on the wall in all their rotund glory watching (phew must be tiring for them), good wall that to stand the strain.
  • Costs me my time, other than some water and detegent and the use of the vacuum cleaner and interior/glass cleaners.

Be a cold day in hell before i let such as the typical roadside car wash crew loose on my vehicles.

I see the typical car wash customers as i drive past, often they are slouched/leaning on the wall in all their rotund glory watching (phew must be tiring for them), good wall that to stand the strain.

Heaven forbid someone takes their car to a car wash, they must be fat and/or lazy to do so.

What a knob
  • sinbad182 wrote: »
    Heaven forbid someone takes their car to a car wash, they must be fat and/or lazy to do so.

What a knob

Touched a nerve...:rotfl:

Which is, of course, the correct MSE approach to the task.
    Typical? I'm a tad rotund myself, but enjoy dropping my car off in the morning and collecting it in the evening.

The walking I do in the hours between will do me far more good than cleaning the car.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support