We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Paying cash for fuel - no receipt

13»

Comments

  • Would you?

    There are plenty of reports when people have driven until the vehicle has cut out.
    Ah, OK fair enough, the comment was based on a couple of folk who've told of their misfuelling woes and didn't get far at all.
  • TrickyWicky
    TrickyWicky Posts: 4,025 Forumite
    Quentin wrote: »
    Ask them for a receipt.

    I always do this. There is one lady at a certain supermarket petrol station near me who just can't be bothered to give a receipt. She's one of those smiley up herself types. Anyway whenever I don't get my receipt I simply say "My receipt?" and it promptly gets handed to me.

    I have a receipt for everything whereever I buy it. Withdrawals from the ATM, purchases for a sandwich, fuel, stupid little things.. I have envelopes full of the things lol.
  • londonTiger
    londonTiger Posts: 4,903 Forumite
    fuel contamination is extremely rare.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 20 January 2014 at 12:08AM
    As I understand it (happy to be corrected), it is the law that a receipt must be given after a transaction if the purchaser asks for it. It's not optional for the retailer, but if you don't ask they don't have to force one on you.

    I suspect the issue is mainly litter. Many point of sale machines will give a receipt automatically, and the cashier just takes the receipt and bins it under the counter if you don't ask for it. My local filling station always asks if I want a VAT receipt, so perhaps that is an option on the PoS.

    On the mileage issue, I can be very precise. In my diesel Mondeo, I filled with unleaded, reset the trip, and got precisely 6.3 miles before it ground to a halt. At my usual mpg, that suggests a volume of about 0.57 litres in the pipework and filter.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.