We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Paying cash for fuel - no receipt
Comments
-
I think many of you are missing the point.
My concern is if you do not request a receipt, and I am sure that there are many who do not request a receipt. You will probably find that you will not have any comeback (compensation claim) if the fuel station do mix up the fuels in their tanks, it does happen and the usual request from the garage is proof of purchase of fuel with a receipt before any compensation claim is paid out.0 -
I think many of you are missing the point.
Everyone seems to have usderstood your point which is why you have been told that if you want a receipt, ask for one.
As has already been mentioned a few times, there is no legal obligation for a seller to give you a receipt unless asked, so if someone doesn't ask for one and later has problems because of their lack of action, it is only their fault.0 -
I think many of you are missing the point.
My concern is if you do not request a receipt, and I am sure that there are many who do not request a receipt. You will probably find that you will not have any comeback (compensation claim) if the fuel station do mix up the fuels in their tanks, it does happen and the usual request from the garage is proof of purchase of fuel with a receipt before any compensation claim is paid out.
The point is, it's the same for all sorts of things
If you buy a burger from a van and it gives you food poisoning, you have no proof that you bought it there.
You buy loads of stuff every week that could potentially cause you harm - physical or financial - without getting a receipt, why is petrol such a concern?
Some countries have mandatory receipts and the legal responsibility is on both parties to make sure it's done.
It's done to combat tax evasion in the main though, not to protect you from dodgy goods.Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.0 -
How many garages don't have ANPR cameras these days?
I use a fuel card so all my transactions are fully traceable but the people who wander in jump the queue and say "pump 4 £20" don't get a receipt as they don't want to wait.
If you don't ask for a receipt they probably won't give you a receipt but asking solves this problem.0 -
I think many of you are missing the point.
My concern is if you do not request a receipt, and I am sure that there are many who do not request a receipt. You will probably find that you will not have any comeback (compensation claim) if the fuel station do mix up the fuels in their tanks, it does happen and the usual request from the garage is proof of purchase of fuel with a receipt before any compensation claim is paid out.
As has been said everyone gets the point and it easy to ask for a receipt.
Do you get or ask for a receipt for absolutely everything you purchase
Yes you may buy some dodgy fuel sometime but is it likely? I drive 30000 to 50000 miles a year and have done for a long time and haven't had any dodgy fuel yet0 -
There was a case (in Swindon?) where the cashier was not issuing receipts because any cash that came in went straight into her handbag.I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.0
-
I always ask for a receipt if I don't get one automatically.
Job done. :money:0 -
Pretty sure there are lots of controls to prevent tanker delivery going in the wrong tank but if they did manage to do that the petrol station would have bigger things to deal with than the first couple of vehicles that identified the problem. If the fuels are mixed up in the tanks you'd know pretty much before you drove off the forecourt. At that point simply go back and ask for a receipt. Beyond that, as other have said if you're so worried about what might happen simply ask for a receipt every time.I think many of you are missing the point.
My concern is if you do not request a receipt, and I am sure that there are many who do not request a receipt. You will probably find that you will not have any comeback (compensation claim) if the fuel station do mix up the fuels in their tanks, it does happen and the usual request from the garage is proof of purchase of fuel with a receipt before any compensation claim is paid out.0 -
sensibleadvice wrote: »If the fuels are mixed up in the tanks you'd know pretty much before you drove off the forecourt.
Not if you have a car that does a reasonable MPG.
Before the new fuel gets to the engine, there is the stuff in the pump, fuel lines and filter bowls to use first.
I'm currently driving a Volvo diesel which easily gives me 45MPG around town, so even if there was only 1/2 litre between the tank and engine I would still be over 5 miles from the forecourt before I noticed any problem.0 -
sensibleadvice wrote: »Pretty sure there are lots of controls to prevent tanker delivery going in the wrong tank but if they did manage to do that the petrol station would have bigger things to deal with than the first couple of vehicles that identified the problem. If the fuels are mixed up in the tanks you'd know pretty much before you drove off the forecourt. At that point simply go back and ask for a receipt. Beyond that, as other have said if you're so worried about what might happen simply ask for a receipt every time.
Would you?
There are plenty of reports when people have driven until the vehicle has cut out.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards