Breaking Through, Travelling On

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,386 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    I use contactless all the time with no problems :)
    Happy cat sitting.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for chipping in, folks :) I'll try to do an Oyster topup first, I think, thats my preference as I'm there for a little while, and if the card's gone belly up, fall back on contactless. It's not really something I want to start, but the ticket's half price compared to a one off you buy at an outlet!

Rome2Rio is great, thanks Gally! There was a UK version of that, called something really boring, wasn't there? I used to use that all the time when I went to odd places mystery shopping ... too long ago to remember!

House is tidier than its been for ages :o shame its only the neighbour thats here :rotfl: Dishwasher is cycling through, I'm nearly done.

Back after the weekend, I think - I'm taking the laptop, I've told them I have to use their web connection :j
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Darpett
    Darpett Posts: 71 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I use contactless all the time and have had no problems, if you use it more than than three or four times in one day you will be forced to put in a pin as a security feature (or at least my bank does that) if that's your concern.
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi KC - no problems with contactless instead of an 0yster in the big smoke. In fact, I use a dedicated credit card that gives me points instead of a debit card. It was still active from my days of 0% balance debt switching but now gets paid in full each month - I find it handier to see the charges on a monthly statement than having to use the sort function on my banking account! Also use the card for monthly overland train pass into the city so I guess its now a dedicated travel card! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Another vote for contactless on tfl here (and contactless in smkts, too :))
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Firegirl
    Firegirl Posts: 934 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I use contactless all the time and I've never had any problems.
    Mortgage balance Feb 2015 start of MFW Journey-£245316.06/Aim to be mortgage neutral 2022 — Target for May 2024 14 Year Target Balance MF50 = £89,535 — Mortgage Balance £106, 000—Target for May 2024! £89,535

Retirement Planning
    Starting Position : Pension 1-£165,000/Pension 2-£50,000/Pension 3-£9,500/ISA-£87,000/Total-£311,500
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,350 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I don't use contactless on TFL. I like knowing what I am spending on my pre-pay oyster card so I auto-load it with £40 when it gets below £10 and I always know it is there. I do claim my work journeys so having a dedicated tube and bus use statement is better for me when I'm claiming. I do use contactless in shops though
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Thanks again peeps. Thats a really good idea about a dedicated card - with that number of small transactions, potentially, it gives you a clear view. I guess I'd want online access if I was going to use it that way.

I ended up putting a tenner in cash onto the Oyster card, and it worked no problems. But since I'm going to be opening a second current account Real Soon Now, and it will just have direct debits going out of it, I could use *that* as my card if need be - it would certainly save tying money up in an Oyster card, though of course its really not much.

Travel still annoying though, and this time its all my fault - first time ever, I noted down my collection reference for my National Rail ticket incorrectly :o so I paid £5.60 plus £9.95 :eek: for the same journey. Grrr. Mea culpa though.

I'm having a ball pootling about a new area, and with the cats :j:j:j and my own house is under guard by a neighbour :beer: This is making me think twice/three times about doing it as an extra income, though - the cat hair in the air is horrendous for my allergies.

Very nice to have Netflix and Amazon Prime for a few days though :D
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Just remembered :o I do actually have financial admin to report :rotfl:

My Regular Saver money was transferred into my current account, so that was put over to my easy saver with a building society. My rate there has gone down though :( to 0.75% p.a.

Other money that went there: the Nationwide repayment from when I had my mortgage. And 44p from Amazon, because somebody used a link of mine to buy stuff :j:j:j thank you kind person :)

I managed to set up a new Regular Saver too, it takes such a short amount of time, and the rate is much higher than anything you can get usually.

Got updates from my Ratesetter account too - generally, the rate is about the same as the Regular Saver, this year. Will keep it under constant review.

And ... found out why Amazon alerts were on the books I uploaded the other day. They suspended my account for lack of trading! It made me think about what I want to do: the books I have, I'll check them on ziffit or webuybooks etc, but otherwise, they're going to the charity shops, except for ones that I know are antique etc, and I'll wait for offers from ebay to sell cheaply. It might sound counter-intuitive when I'm trying to live so frugally, but I'm sort of being frugal with my time too: I'm not going to spend my retirement trying to make an extra 50p (unless its a yougov survey, I don't have to move from the computer :rotfl:and they only take 10 minutes anyway). Been thinking about this ever since I saw people's reactions to my NW calculations. it's made me rethink what I do and how I live, it was quite an eye opener. Great to have an online space where that can happen, and thank you all for contributing: it's got me back some of my life :T:T:T
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Yay! I'm all for 'A life well spent' (as said by m&5 on their current advertising!) - and holding onto stuff indefinitely is quite energy sapping, I've found. I'm a huge fan of the ziff1t and musicmagp1e sites and have used them a lot. What I would say (esp with Zif) is I always re-check the unwanted ones with them a few days later - I can normally get another handful accepted - and if I've 'saved' my earlier ones as opposed to 'completing the trade' at the time, these can then all go off in one box when I add both saved sets to my 'basket' - it might only be another £1-2 but I find it worthwhile. I also run the transaction through tcb/ quidc0 - whichever is offering the highest cashback at the time :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport