Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sounds a nice varied list for today and the rest of the week too, KC:T
    Thanks CBC :beer:
    I love your retirement countdown monitor:j. So exciting! I just wish I'd planned my actual retirement a lot better, somehow I just drifted into it. I knew when it was going to happen of course, I just didn't take full advantage of the run-up to it. I really envy your foresight:A
    Foresight = eagerness :rotfl:
    I've got masses of apples to do something with, it's such a shame to see them go to waste. Problem is I only have a small freezer so I'm not too sure of the most space-saving way of using them:o
    I agree with RT, applesauce/stewed apple is the way to go - or are you making jams? Apples make everything go further, and add pectin :j
    rtandon27 wrote: »
    CBC - try applesauce & then freeze it - great warmed over crumble or ice cream - also good in a breakfast smoothie to sweeten it up...

Of course if you ever find a dehydrater on fr33cycle or in a charity shop, dehydrated apple crisps are devine! & take up very little room!
    I'm seriously thinking of a dehydrator, and I've been recommended this one https://www.westfalia.net/shops/household/kitchen_appliances/electric_and_mechanical_appliances/dehydrating_appliances/193811-food_dehydrator.htm
    I get very discouraged from preserving methods that include lots of sugar or vinegar - sugar because its so empty and unhealthy, vinegar because of my arthritis. I just need to think about it a bit more, but a freecycle thing is a really good idea - I asked for a pasta maker on there once, because I wasn't sure I'd use it. I got one on there, and sure enough, I never used it, so I let it go the same way :beer:
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,539 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    That looks to be a good one KC - have not heard of that company before - they have such a mix of things! a lamb feeder! - now that I might have a use for with the field of sheep across the road!;)

Love a good gadget!

This is the one i'd been eyeing up - but I'm not allowed to get any more gadgets until the box mountain has been tackled! - lol - a box a day is the goal until they are all gone!:rotfl:

I've only every sundried & airdried before - herbs and chilies & flowers - very hit or miss depending on the dampness in the air.
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Me too, on the what-have-I-done-previously - to do any quantities, though, that can't happen, not without a barn at the back :)

I hadn't looked around the Westfalia site before :eek::eek::eek: You're so *bad*, RT :rotfl: I'm hooked now!

As for Lakeland - they're good for the odd gadget, or local sale, but I find them overpriced. That one you've linked to, its 250W, same as tother, but its 60% more in price! And honestly, people with smallholdings (and people on here, I think) use Westfalia.

Go for those boxes! :cool::D
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Loving the retirement countdown:j

That Westfalia site looks interesting. I love Lakeland to browse in, but they can be overpriced.

I really could do with a new chopping board. At the moment I use a big glass one, but it's a bit unwieldy. Westfalia have a nice one.....

We're going away for a few days, but I've put it on my list of things to consider, when we come back
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »

Had a good day out yesterday, and chatting away, I also realised another possible income source for the future - renting out a room via bnb on an occasional basis. I checked out the website, and there's a bloke in my town who rents out a small single for £30 a night - an average of once a week would net me £100 a month, very roughly. If I needed to do it. I wouldn't do it straight away, I'd be looking at the writing to provide, via the blogs, kindle and elance, maybe textbroker too, though I haven't managed to get back there after I passed the test :o
    My DD does this KC, I'll put you in touch if you like? She makes a LOT from it and it has the added benefit of forcing her to keep the house clean and tidy :). After so many bookings they send out a photographer free of charge to take better pics for you - hers look great now, especially the one of the cat they put in :rotfl:.

If you started doing it sooner rather than later you may be able to knock a week or two off your target :D, or at least increase your pot :T.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Karmacat
    Options
    I'll log that in for a future contact if I may, Gally. It would be great soon, but I definitely can't do it right now. The bed I'd provide for them is in the office, the room I'd put it in is in the room I currently use for therapy work, the kitchen is half painted, and my energy levels mean I really, really can't keep the place clean enough for a "paying guest", sadly :o I can smell a bit of damp, too :(

I feel really rough today after experimenting with a short burst of medium intensity exercise two days ago, read about it in a long Guardian article and it seemed right. It feels like a sort of detox, the crap stage :eek:

Three hours paid work today, plus evening phone call. Thats my focus.
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    Sending energetic vibes xxx
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,539 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    sending hugs - hope the rough patch went on it's merry way!
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    Morning, hope you've woken up with a spring in your step.

Take care, Tilly x x x x
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Thank you folks :) I'm afraid I woke with a limp in my step, so to speak, I feel really rough. At least I put my warm duvet on the bed last night, that's something, and I did a Sainsbo online shop a few days ago, which will be delivered today, so at least I've got food. I've really shot myself in the foot with over-exercising on Monday :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport