We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 13

Options

Comments

• grassgirl
    Options
    Declaring day 16 today :) I left work and had my Dad's 50th so excused myself two days each for those and had one Bud at random one day :cool:

Only had 5 days where I've had a drink this year :D not sure on March yet, will have a think.
    1 step = £250
    0/100
  • debjay
    debjay Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unexpectedly having an AF weekend so 19/24 for tonight please. I've only had a drink on 2 occasions this year and not really missing it at mo.
  • stoplurking
    Options
    16/22 please Shaggy.
    MFIT -T5 #42
  • satchmo1
    satchmo1 Posts: 2,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    17/21 AFDs, stayed strong, although vacuumed up 8 chocolates in temper (and I wonder why I can't lose weight). I've calmed down now.

Parkrun today was so cold, I swear my knees were frozen and that's the reason why I was the slowest I've been for about 18 months. 41 minute: personal best (mid-2013) was 35 minutes. I'm never going to be first past the post, and that's not why I do it, but 6 minutes slower, bah.
    What would you get if all you got was what you were thankful for?
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Sorry I've gone AWOL. I've not kept track of days,unfortunately even though I know I've only had two days that were NOT AF since I last posted on here. Tomorrow I'll see if I can find my last post to work out my total but for now, I think it's time I tried to get some sleep.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • Ellsbel
    Ellsbel Posts: 469 Forumite
    Options
    Haven't been on here lately either - and don't I know it!!
    Had a lovely week away and the stop button was definitely in working order - but the AFD button wasn't; not one was notched up all week.
    I feel sure that if I'd been able to log onto to this thread, I'd have found my willpower.
    Still, beating myself up about it won't help.
    I definitely won't be drinking today, so that will bring my total to 9/17 please Shaggy, which means I'll miss my target:(
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 22 February 2015 at 12:41PM
    Options
    debjay wrote: »
    I've only had a drink on 2 occasions this year and not really missing it at mo.

grassgirl wrote: »
    Only had 5 days where I've had a drink this year :D not sure on March yet, will have a think.

Wow Debjay and Grassgirl - that's totally brilliant! Well done.

Welcome back Ellsbel. If the Stop button was working, I wouldn't be worried about not having AF days.

Satchmo, doing Belle's Challenges has tips on staying on the straight and narrow and one of them is to have treats to look forward to every couple of days during the post-100 Day phases. Despite it being Lent and having given up sugar, I am allowing myself handmade dark chocolates from the chocolaterie around the corner when I feel the need. It's not cheap, it's not strictly Lenten but it works for me.

21/28 please, Shaggy. Oooohhhhh I'm going to get another Smiley!
    Better is good enough.
  • Chardonnay
    Options
    edwink wrote: »
    I often have a read through this thread and cheer you all on to achieve your AFD's. Many of you have made remarkable achievements and I applaud you!!

I have never seen a mention of the Bavaria AF larger. It is sold in Mr Sains*ury £2 for 4 bottles. Definitely cheaper than others I have seen!! I drink this myself as I can not drink alcohol because of medication I am on!! It is lovely on it's own and makes a lovely shandy in the summer!!

I know that being AF for you all is a huge achievement. But, being AF and using an alternative to expensive AF larger is a money saving bonus you all deserve!!

I hope this post is of use to you all!!

All the very best

Edwink x

Hi Edwin, thanks for the tip! I'm going to check these out when I pop out today.

Like you, I can't drink on the medication I have just started. Well it says on the instruction leaflet that you shouldn't and on all of the reputable websites - this medication doesn't mix well with alcohol. Of course, one of the first questions I asked the doctor was whether I could have "a glass or two of wine" with them. She looked dubious and said one at most and that I needed to be careful. I've still spent time trying to find evidence on the internet that it's ok to drink and peoples experiences are very mixed, with some saying it made them feel much more anxious the next day. This isn't something I want to risk and knowing the way my brain works I would convince myself that I shouldn't have drank and end up feeling really anxious anyway! Plus I know that on social occasions, that with the best will in the world, I just won't be able to stop at one.

So, after much thought, I have signed up for Belle's 100 Day challenge (well on the waiting list!) This is something that I have been considering on and off for the last year and I think something is telling me deep down that I need to commit to this. It won't be easy - over the next 6 weeks I have 3 "drinking" social occasions and an 11 day holiday abroad booked, but I'm going to give it all I've got and see how not drinking for that period of time, plus taking my meds will make me feel. :) I've also got a shiny new car so am planning on making use of that and driving more! I'm on Day 8 already anyway so do have a head start!
    satchmo1 wrote: »
    17/21 AFDs, stayed strong, although vacuumed up 8 chocolates in temper (and I wonder why I can't lose weight). I've calmed down now.

Parkrun today was so cold, I swear my knees were frozen and that's the reason why I was the slowest I've been for about 18 months. 41 minute: personal best (mid-2013) was 35 minutes. I'm never going to be first past the post, and that's not why I do it, but 6 minutes slower, bah.

Ah, well done for going anyway Satchmo. What do they say, no run is a bad run! I was meant to go yesterday but have been feeling a bit grotty this week but I know my family that went struggled. It wasn't the best of mornings for running, with being so cold. I'm sure you'll get back to your best! :)

16/19 please Shaggy!

I'd like to set a target of 31 for March please - gulp!
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 22 February 2015 at 2:32PM
    Options
    Chardonnay wrote: »
    So, after much thought, I have signed up for Belle's 100 Day challenge (well on the waiting list!)

I realise this is a huge step for you Chardonnay, but I am so, so pleased that you've decided to do it. It'll be lovely to have someone going at the same pace, sharing the achievements and the frustrations - which I have to say diminish to an amazing degree relatively quickly but not being allowed to do something is just irritating.

Please post, post, post. If there's anything that got me through the first 100 Days it was Belle and this thread and if there's anything that I/we can do to support you, please let us.

Belle says to email her if you feel the want or need to, 24 hours a day and she will always get back to you. She really, really means it!

Even after 211 days I'm quite anxious about staying off the alcohol which is why I still maintain all the support mechanisms, although I have to check periodically how many days I've been AF, which I just did for this post. I love this new life, I love this new me, and I want to keep it. There was never going to be a good time for me to stop, like you I had social commitments that I truly believed involved alcohol, so it came as quite a surprise to find that alcohol wasn't part of the equation, really, and I could live quite happily without it and still enjoy everything.

Good luck, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart.
    Better is good enough.
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,980 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Chardonnay wrote: »
    Hi Edwin, thanks for the tip! I'm going to check these out when I pop out today.

Like you, I can't drink on the medication I have just started. Well it says on the instruction leaflet that you shouldn't and on all of the reputable websites - this medication doesn't mix well with alcohol.

Hi Chardonnay

I think some of the problems with some medication and alcohol is that they increase the effect of the alcohol. So if you take certain medication and even have a small amount of alcohol you could have a rotten hangover the next day even though drinking very little. Also alcohol is known to block the effects of some medication so they actually do not do the job they are supposed to do. So in theory if you drink with them you may as well not take them in the first place.

So glad for you that you have decided to give the Bavaria a go. My husband is a lager drinker and he says there is not a lot of difference in the taste. I personally do not like the Beck* Blu*, I think it tastes slightly of perfume, maybe it is just me as others seem to like it!! My husband actually agrees about the perfume taste though!! I think it all boils down to personal taste of each individual!!

I just want to wish you the very best of luck on your target of 31 days for March. You go for it!!! Just try and imagine how you will feel if you get to the 31st and have not touched a drop. I can see you jumping up and down with joy with a non stop smile on your face!! My fingers are crossed for you!!

All the very best to you and everyone on this thread!!!

Edwink x
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport