PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Quorn.....is it me?

Hello to all and thanks in advance for your help.

In an effort to eat a little healthier I bought some quorn. My OH is not keen on anything like that so I pretended it was chicken and sneaked it into a curry . Success!! He never even noticed but I was very sick after id eaten it. Used Quorn mince to make Spag Bol......same results. He ate it happily but I was again really sick after eating it...............even worse than the first time. So the question is, is it me or the Quorn? Am I doing something wrong with it? OH was fine and I normally have no problem with anything. I have another two bags lurking in the freezer and don't want to waste it.

:)

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :( It's not just you. I know several people who throw up after eating Qu0rn, even if they had no idea that they were eating it. Plus several more people known to me (inc myself) don't feel very well after eating it but are far short of vomiting.

I don't touch the stuff now, but get on OK with TVP mince. Perhaps that would be an option for you? It's soya, any health food shop should have it.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
    115K Posts: 2,678 Forumite
    Some people have that reaction to Quorn products unfortunately.

Your OH will probably have to eat it instead. I used to feel sick after eating the burgers but for some reason I was okay with some of the Quorn ready meals, maybe because it contained a smaller amount of Quorn.
    HOUSE MOVE FUND £16,000/ £19,000
    DECLUTTERING 2015 439 ITEMS
    “Don’t let your happiness depend on something you may lose.”
  • Pennyinthe£
    Pennyinthe£ Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 31 December 2013 at 9:50AM
    Thank you for that. I normally have a cast iron tum and very little affects it, that stuff laid me very low very quickly. OH can have it and think I will try the TVP. They sell it on the health food stall in the market and it seems quite cheap.
    Thanks again
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Yep, not just you.

Personally, I'm just not terribly keen on it, nor convinced its particularly healthy.
  • Its not just you, I can't touch the stuff either!
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,903 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I'm with lostinrates on both points. Never made me ill but i'd rather go with pulses every time. A tip i learnt here was to add porrige oats to bulk out mince. Family has never noticed, it eeks out the meat and oats have defo been proved to be both healthy and filling. There are also some excellent recipes for lentil-based dishes
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • meames_2
    meames_2 Posts: 747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 December 2013 at 10:05AM
    I have a problem with the burgers and sometimes the sausages. I'm alright with the mince and chicken style pieces. A couple of weeks back I had chilled Linda McCartney burger with garlic top and I hadn't even finished before I was sick. However, I have a / used to have (when I ate neat) problem with real meat prepackaged burgers etc. I can be eating and suddenly feel really sick, sometimes a glass of water would clear it but often I would be ill. There must be some additive in the frozen food that I am allergic to, but no idea what, I never have the problem with food I have prepared and frozen myself.
  • When we were kids my mum used to add a big handful of oats and lots of grated carrot to mince to make it stretch further, I never knew that as a kid of course and it always tasted great.
    I was sort of bullied into the Quorn by veggie work colleague who told me I must have cooked it wrong when I said it had made me poorly. Must admit I thought it was quite expensive too.

:(
  • This_Year
    This_Year Posts: 1,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Photogenic
    meames wrote: »
    I can be eating and suddenly feel really sick, sometimes a glass of water would clear it but often I would be ill. There must be some additive in the frozen food that I am allergic to, but no idea what, I never have the problem with food I have prepared and frozen myself.

You are not alone! I get this with cheaper cuts of meat (sound snobby now!) and especially if I smell pork cooking - I actually am sick just from the smell. I used to be the same with chicken - hated it when supermarkets started selling hot cooked chicken as I would have to run to the loos. :(
  • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/dietandfitness/3318997/Whats-the-truth-about...-Quorn.html

Some people seem to have an allergic reaction; there's a lobbying group in America campaigning about it - link here:
    http://www.cspinet.org/quorn/
    Reason for edit? Can spell, can't type!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family