PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2014 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Mystikia
    Mystikia Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Stoptober Survivor
    Been very poorly over last few days... Ashamed to say ended up with Takeaway meals last few nights as couldn't face cooking... A waste really as I couldnt eat much of it. Oh well, still poorly but determined to stick to meal plans from now on!
  • £54.24 spend so far so please total this up for me? I feel I'm doing well so far.
    Ds2 born 3/4/12 8lbs 8.5:j
    Ds1 born 28/4/07 9lb 8 :j
    Frugal, thrifty, tight mum & wife and proud of it lol
    :rotfl::j
    Make money for Xmas challenge 2014 £0/£270
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I was made redundant today but still got a job for a few months so not all doom and gloom but still had a bit of a splash out in M & S. I paid £21(used a £5 off £25 voucher) for £39 of stuff and got 60 GF sausages on 3 for £10, 2 YS GF chicken crispbakes, a huge jar of pickled onions for 49p cos they were Xmas ones and DH loves them, 4 big cans of st3lla and the dine in for a £10 including a £7 bottle of wine to replace the one I will open tonight;)

It was DH idea to get something for tonight from there and now he says he isn't hungry:rotfl: oh well it will keep and since I am munching my way through a bib bag of value tortillas I might not be in a while either;)

If we live on sausages for the next 3 weeks I might just come in under budget:rotfl:
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I am really trying hard to think "what can I use up" instead of "what can I buy"? I will do a meal planner tonight and tomorrow just buy anything needed between now and midweek in order to achieve it. Today spent just £4.69 on a few basics - loaf of wholemeal bread, four litres of long life milk (on offer), bag of new potatoes and a net of onions. Tonight I am having soup and dumplings using stock made earlier in the slow cooker, and scraps of veg from fridge and freezer. At this rate it will take months to get through my stash!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • mags50_2
    mags50_2 Posts: 381 Forumite
    Spent £1.30 on milk and that's it today :)
    I blitzed up some bread and put breadcrumbs in the freezer, and made some cauliflower cheese which has gone in too.
    Had sandwiches for dinner and sea bass and rice for tea. I'm still using food from the freezer and store cupboard and thoroughly enjoying sitting down in the evening and crossing items off my list....am I weird?! :)
    A family that eats together, stays together

NSD 50/365
    GC JAN £259.63/£400 FEB £346.41/£350.00 MAR £212.57/£300 APR £1/£250
  • A spend of £13.37 today. I've not been as impressed with lidl recently. No matter what time of day I go the fridges seem to be bare. But I managed to get some fruit, bread, milk and some veggies to keep me going for the next week provided I stick to my meal plan!

The plan for the week is:
    Saturday: shepherds pie with broccoli and carrots
    Sunday: chicken and chorizo pasta bake
    Monday: fajitas
    Tuesday: bolognese with mushrooms and courgette "pasta"
    Wednesday: jacket spud, tuna and salad
    Thursday: stuffed chicken wrapped in bacon with boiled potatoes and veg.
    Friday: something from the freezer that doesn't take too much effort, probably pie and chips.

I need to get some toiletries but think I will go to town and nip to the pound shop and wilkos tomorrow.
  • Magpye
    Magpye Posts: 607 Forumite
    NSD yesterday but spent £3.24 on 3 punnets of fresh raspberries in Sains after work today. Planning to make a raspberry and rhubarb gf crumble tomorrow, if the raspberries last that long... ~yum~

jammy dodger I am in the same boat as you with half a tin of corned beef in the fridge - thinking about making corned beef and potato cakes, unless anyone can inspire me to greater things.
    "All cruelty springs from weakness" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca
    Personal pronouns are they/them/their, please.

I'm intolerant of wheat, citrus, grapes, grape products and dried vine fruits, tomato, and beetroot, and I am also somewhat caffeine sensitive.
  • BlueCow1975
    BlueCow1975 Posts: 1,422 Forumite
    Just updated with a "£10 odd" spend made by DH while I was in work as he popped to Aldo as wanted to experiment with chicken legs and sweet potatoe wedges in our new actifry. Initially not impressed as he had strayed from my meal planner (as this is my first week doing this I am a little obsessive about it!). Anyway, I have to forgive him as the chicken was delicious and the sweet potatoe wedges cooked to perfection. Stir fried chopped leek, frozen green beans, chopped garlic with a twist of salt and pepper as an accompaniment. Can re-schedule tonights original planned meal to Monday.

Also had the slow cooked chicken thigh casserole earlier in the week (recipe from first page). Really simple to make and the whole family (including the not keen on anything that resembles casserole kids!) wolfed it. Will definately make it again, but maybe take the skin off the thighs first as the healthier eating plan starts on Monday (have put 7lbs on over December :eek:)

Hope everyone has a good weekend. :)
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    first spend of the month for me, DGS is staying overnight and I needed sausages for his breakfast, struck lucky and got 3 packs reduced to 80p from 2.50 and 4 packs butter reduced to 5op from 1.50, total £4.40 a saving of £9.oo so well pleased, but having trouble getting it into freezer.
    Slimming World at target
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,924 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Spend of £3.40 today. They were selling packs of Shortbread reduced to 50p at Asdo so I got 4 packs - BB Nov 2014. I put them in my store box upstairs.
    We had HM Fish Pie + LO baked Beans + Mushy Peas for dinner.
    Fridaysdinner_zps463254e7.jpg
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 252/300
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £51.35/£100 NSD - 75
    2024 Craft Makes - 204 Craft Spends 2024 £295.23/£500
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts