Thrifty Gifty Santas Challenge 2014

Options

Comments

• mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    susan42 wrote: »

Anyone have any ideas on being a vegetarian ? I'll try anything and believe me I've tried alot of things

im a veggie and have been for about 8 years, we have soya milk, keep a look out as alpro soya is often on offer at either 2 for £2 or 3 for £3 in various supermarkets (co-op have the offer atm)
    its an aquired taste in tea coffee and my lads refuse to go with it so i have cows milk in as well for them and friends drinks when they come round (if people arent expecting it and you put soya in they never accept a 2nd cup):o

DH read something about the benifits of gluten free over the weekend so this week hes veggie as well as no bread so eating loads of fruit and eggs, he said hes already feeling much better.

depending on what foods you want to try id say go to farmfoods they do the linda mc veggie sausages for £1 a box they are heading for £2 else where, they are really nice, i prefer own brand chickenless nuggets and chunks to the quorn ones but think all the mince tastes the same (quorn or own brand)
    get a pack and have a try the mince if cooked in shepheards pies spag bol etc cant really be told from meat mince DS1 is still a meat eater and he and his friends never notice if i use veggie mince for them)
    HTH
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • rufusdog52
    rufusdog52 Posts: 3,972 Forumite
    Options
    I saw that about veggies Susan but forgot to write anything, sorry, Moneypenny just reminded me. I decided to give up "meat" a few years ago after a bad experience with food poisoning but I still eat fish. May be if you find you cant give up everything you could do that, its called pescatarian. Fish is good for you anyway. I always watch what is in other food stuffs I buy and will only use veggie stock cubes/gravy, soups, that kind of thing. I eat a lot of "veggie" meals as in Quorn products or even the shops own brand as well as fish meals. I also eat a lot of salads with my lunch and veg with my dinner. I have lost nearly 6 stones in weight and my blood tests have come back so healthy that the doctor who saw me said he wished he had my blood tests for himself lol. Shame it doesnt help me with my aches and pains but suppose I cant have it all ways.
  • sarahj1986
    sarahj1986 Posts: 1,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mum2one - stamps (1st class) are going up to 62p (2p increase) I think from 1st April. I have a poster at work which says this.

I cashed out on my Dooyoo £50 cash but that will be used to pay for my MOT which I had yesterday and thankfully my car passed although there is an issue with my HT leads that I need to sort out to avoid any issues so Ive got that booked in to be fixed next week.

I have also this morning cashed out £10 Boots voucher, this will go with the other £10 I got afew weeks ago courtesy of Valued Opinions, this will go into the Christmas fund for Boots point event in October/November time.

I also have various gifts kicking around- Topman, Yankee Candles, Philosophy, Sanctuary, Boots Extracts all bought in the sales for birthday/xmas gifts as/when needed
    :money::rotfl::T
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oo i lerv the challenge specialiy the me bit. I have neglected the me bit while i tried to nurse a failing marriage. March i gt back to playing the piano till i cut my finger owow but will get back to it. Will defo give the £2 challenge some serious thought. Tonight had a fantastic free night at knitting club. Well £1.49 cos that's what i spent on a new ball of wool (acrylic but a ball of acrylic doesnt sound so good!) we had a good laugh, specially when my friend made the beautiful flower she had crocheted 'talk'. Vagina monologues - need i say more? And not a touch of alcohol in sight!
    Hope your dad is ok mum2one
    Thanks for the farmfoods headsup moneypenhy i bought linda mcc sausages when they were on special at l!dl. I'm not veggie but lerv veggie food. Who am i kidding? I lerv food :rotfl:
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Anyone with children to buy for might have a look and see what is left in Tesco's clothing department.
    Today (in Lincoln) bought boy sets- bobble hat, gloves, scarf with skull & cross bone motif- all 3 for £1- up to aged 9. They also had pink or red girl sets (younger age) hat, scarf & gloves also £1. Mens black scarves- £1.
    Baby hats or mitts 50 pence
    These are ideal for my friends grandchildren and also I'm planning to do some OAP & family Christmas boxes for Romania. Perfect! Just more things to store!!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Katiehound - theres some brill bargains there

DundeeDoll - Hope ur ok, sounds fun at the knitting club.

Sarahj... sounds like your doing well with the vouchers, def agree helps out for Christmas planning.

While I think of it dont forget the clocks go forward Sat ngt/sun morning so we loose an hrs beauty sleep!!

Hope everyone has a good weekend, and mothers get a little treat or 2. Taking couple days out, so I will catch up early in the week.
    xxx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • DundeeDoll
    Options
    katiehound thank you for reminding me to start shopoing now for the xmas shoebox appeal. I usually leave it till mad panic week before.
    Thanks mum2one still smarting from the shock 17 months on and wont deny i get sad and lonely at times but so many good things in my life i wouldnt have done like travel, my promotion, holidaying with my mum and her outrageous friends :D
    Knitting club is now weekly hooray. She's going to do a workshop on felting so of course there were jokes about felt vaginas. Laughter is very often the best medicine
  • DundeeDoll
    Options
    To anyone unfamiliar with the shoebox appeal here's the type of items they're looking for. Thanks to katiehound's reminder i now have the list in my diary along with other lists so i can grab opportunities without buying the wrong thing - you see mum2one you have done the impossible - organised dd :D

http://linktohope.co.uk/shoebox-appeal/filling-shoebox
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    afternoon all
    hope everyone is well

took mil out for a drink and early mothers day meal
    went to see step mum this morning with flowers and card
    popped in DS2s godmothers with card and choccies from him and get well card and followers from me as shes convalescing a broken leg.
    going to see my mum tomorrow so will take a bag of books ive finished with and easter cards and stuff as well as her mothers day pressies so that will clear some things.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 28 March 2014 at 5:51PM
    Options
    DundeeDoll wrote: »
    To anyone unfamiliar with the shoebox appeal here's the type of items they're looking for. Thanks to katiehound's reminder i now have the list in my diary along with other lists so i can grab opportunities without buying the wrong thing - you see mum2one you have done the impossible - organised dd :D

http://linktohope.co.uk/shoebox-appeal/filling-shoebox

Yes, this is the charity I am going for. I have already got some reading glasses- the cheapie variety- @ 50 pence a pair! as well as scarves, gloves and sets as listed above mainly from Mr T. Hat, gloves and a scarf for £1- can't be bad. I also got a few little toys from Wilkinsons . I am hoping to do 4 or 5 boxes with maybe contribution from friends. There's a collection point in the next town. I read the diaries on here- these people have nothing- made me cry.

oh and I bought the manicure sets & comb sets to split plus brushes half price at Wilco now for the boxes too.

Incidentally The Tesco grabbit thread showed that there had been (may still be at some stores?) adult clothes @ £1! Someone got a cashmere cardi!!!!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure