Schooling for September born kid

Options

Comments

• emweaver
    emweaver Posts: 8,419 Forumite
    Options
    movilogo wrote: »
    My daughter was born in late September. My local council cuts off school intake by 31st August.

This means, she will have to join school almost a year later (and extra childcare cost) :mad:

Do I have any choice here?

Can I try to push her to school next year? Will schools consider my application if there is space remaining?

It isn't just your local council its standard in England. My daughter was born 6 days after the cut off and no you can't push them to start sooner.
    Wins so far this year: Mum to be bath set, follow me Domino Dog, Vital baby feeding set, Spiderman goody bag, free pack of Kiplings cakes, £15 love to shop voucher, HTC Desire, Olive oil cooking spray, Original Source Strawberry Shower Gel, Garnier skin care hamper, Marc Jacobs fragrance.
  • emweaver
    emweaver Posts: 8,419 Forumite
    Options
    My daughter is an August born child so had literally just turned 4 when she started school. I can't imagine my son who has just turned 4 being at school like my daughter was at this age! Luckily he will be nearly 5 by the time he starts.

My daughter was really behind compared with her classmates at first and I know this was due to age because now she has caught up and does very well.

I would look upon it as an advantage too!

Legally they do not have to attend school until they turn 5 so you could have held off until the following year.
    Wins so far this year: Mum to be bath set, follow me Domino Dog, Vital baby feeding set, Spiderman goody bag, free pack of Kiplings cakes, £15 love to shop voucher, HTC Desire, Olive oil cooking spray, Original Source Strawberry Shower Gel, Garnier skin care hamper, Marc Jacobs fragrance.
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    emweaver wrote: »
    Legally they do not have to attend school until they turn 5 so you could have held off until the following year.

That is true but it causes its own problems, I briefly considered it for my son but he would have had to start in year 1 when the others had started in reception, he would have missed the year when everyone made friends and the chance to settle into school work gradually, they mostly play in reception.
  • geoffky
    geoffky Posts: 6,835 Forumite
    Options
    Here is me thinking mums enjoy being with their children....Many can not wait to palm them off.
    Some at 6 months of age..Shameless
    It is nice to see the value of your house going up'' Why ?
    Unless you are planning to sell up and not live anywhere, I can;t see the advantage.
    If you are planning to upsize the new house will cost more.
    If you are planning to downsize your new house will cost more than it should
    If you are trying to buy your first house its almost impossible.
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    geoffky wrote: »
    Here is me thinking mums enjoy being with their children....Many can not wait to palm them off.

I was gutted when I ds started school due to his age he was suppose to only go mornings for the first 6 months but 1 month before he started the school changed the rules and he had* to do full days. I cried and was upset for ages as I was expecting to spend 6 months of afternoons with him but it got taken away from me with 4 weeks notice :(

* when I say had, no one could force me to do this, as a poster stated above he had the right to not start till he was five, but again all the other children were doing full days, he would have been very selfish for me to take him out and for him to miss that initial making friends time.
  • sweaty_betty
    Options

That is rather unnecessary. Many parents have no choice but to return to work earlier than they would prefer, for financial and many other reasons. It's not a case of "palming them off", but making tough decisions which will have implications for the short term (keeping the same job, not being able to live on SMP) and long term (career prospects).

I have yet to meet a woman who raced back to work as soon as possible simply because she didn't want to spend time with her child.
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Yes, its awful.

You know, a lot of dads go back to work and palm their babies off on someone else at just two weeks of age, isn't that just shocking? Have they no shame?
  • lisaloo1977
    Options
    You have no idea how lucky you are.

I have a late august born son, he was born 4 weeks early and not a day goes by that i do not wish he could have stayed tucked up inside mummy for a few more days. We are fortunate enough to be able to educate him in a private school with small classes and pay extra tuition for one on one lessons on top in and he still struggles.

I would have given anything to keep him home another year. I was aware that i could but that he would still have had to enter formal schooling in year one and would have missed reception and the bonding and the learning from that year which would have been another disadvantage.

He had just turned 4 and i remember on his first day taking him in and seeing boys that were so much taller and mature than him. He is now in year 3 and he still struggles. He is in a class that has a lot of before christmas born children and it shows. I feel bad that he was thrust into education so young and lost a year of his childhood. We do everything we can to help him and whilst i have read about the negative impact it can have on sporting achievement, they have done quite a lot of research on it in america and it has come out consistently that the summer born do suffer. I can say that in that area he excels, this may be because the pool to choose from is smaller in his school so he has been given the chance. What he lacks in growth he makes up for in heart and determination on any sport field but his school reports always say he is often found to be day dreaming and finds it hard to sit down and concentrate. He actually sits nearest to the teacher in year 3 and is thrilled, he loves and needs that extra reassurance and i believe this is purely because of his immaturity in comparison to his peers.

I have a september born daughter who is now 15 months and i am intrigued to see the difference that we will see between a girl who starts at 5 and a boy that started at just 4.

As parents we do everything we can to help our son and that includes extra financial cost on top of regular fees. Im sad that you are upset about the financial impact and don't see the blessing that you have.

I actually logged in for the first time in a while to reply to your post as i am honestly stunned that extra childcare costs is your concern.
    :naughty:
  • Pont
    Pont Posts: 1,459 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Having not read through all of the posts just thought I would add my two pennies worth!

My eldest daughter was born in September. She started full-time education on her fourth birthday (she didn't 'have to' but was ready for it). She always worked along with the kids who were, if effect, a year older than her. She entered high school at 10, 6th form at 15, university at 17.

It's not about birth dates - it's about what the individual child's needs are.

Also, I firmly believe that happy and contented parents equate with happy and contented children.
  • geoffky
    geoffky Posts: 6,835 Forumite
    Options
    We all have choices...Some choose the money option..Some the being a full time mum option..
    As i have said before my wife's best friend owns a nursery and the stories of so called parents are eye opening.
    Like putting child in nursery when both parents (teachers) are off for six weeks in the summer...
    It is nice to see the value of your house going up'' Why ?
    Unless you are planning to sell up and not live anywhere, I can;t see the advantage.
    If you are planning to upsize the new house will cost more.
    If you are planning to downsize your new house will cost more than it should
    If you are trying to buy your first house its almost impossible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure