2014 Frugal Living Challenge

Options

Comments

• lilyandme
    Options
    I would like to join please, I am going to give living on £15 a week my best shot! This is for treats, anything that isn't an essential cost.
    I do not have SKY tv and I do not drive/run a car.
    I do live on my own though on one wage which isn't enough!! about £9000 per year.

My aims for 2014 are to stick to my 15 pounds a week budget. Ebay my old tat, stop buying my takeaway coffees!

I do valued opinions and can usually get to £10 within 5/6 weeks i use the vouchers in Marks And Spencers to buy their reduced stuff just before the store closes. sometimes save vouchers to buy gifts towards Christmas.

I am saving for 2014 Christmas already with Park, £5 a week, though I think as i have so many family members I am going to have to stop the present buying, I have 14 immediate family members, its too epensive on my income, so maybe a homemade hamper for each family unit for next year, then I have leftover vouchers for the new year sales.

I have a credit card i need to clear also. £750. I am sure it can be done, 2014 will be the year I get my backside in gear :)
  • Shortie
    Shortie Posts: 2,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 December 2013 at 1:33PM
    Options
    We have a very small pantry in our house (as in, 'little space under the stairs' small) but it's a proper pantry. We have an ex-council 1960's build house that has loads of original features in it - the pantry still has the little glass window and the cold slab in it.

Unfortunately, the kitchen is so tiny that it's completely rammed with everything in it and I don't think we use it at it's best to be honest. Plus, when we get the building work done on the back of the house, it'll disappear and become a loo instead :o

On the frugal front (thanks for the reminder sweetpea26), we were in Tescos at the weekend and I picked up 2 packs of brussels and 1 pack of carrots at 10p each. We prepped the carrots and brussels (we slice the brussels and cook them off with sliced bacon instead of the traditional boiled brussels for Christmas) and froze them. So, we have a nice chunk of our Christmas dinner veg ready prepped for 30p!!

Trying to save on appliances too - our dishwasher motor packed in the other day, and our tumble dryer is no longer condensing (it's supposed to be a self-condesing one). We're waiting back for a quote to fix the dishwasher (if too much we'll have to just get rid of it and decide if we replace it), and hopefully in the next few days we'll pull the tumble dryer apart to see if the motor is clogged with fluff and see if we can keep it going. As it is, the tumble dryer is working but it's kicking all the moisture back into the annex making it damp (or super cold if we keep the windows open) which isn't great.
    April 2021 Grocery Challenge 34.29 / 250
  • usa1
    usa1 Posts: 538 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All

Here is my action plan for the new year: 2014

Stock pile non-perishables, porridge, tins, loo rolls, shampoos, dishwashing salt, powder etc..

Walk more places, rather than spend on petrol

Use more money off coupons.

Keep to date my tithing/giving commitments

Find free wood for my open fire.

Knock out the surveys, focus groups and entering competitions.

Keep my 2 freezers filled up. Farmfoods is good for this.

Find a part time job. Around 8k per year will be fine as under tax and Ni Threshold.

Pay more into my pension.
    It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand. ~ Brian Stimpson, Clockwise
  • kb_soma
    kb_soma Posts: 270 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I would like to join this please! I would like to see if I can pay off more debt than I am.
    LBM: NOVEMBER 2011 || debt free date:30/06/15 || The Fighting Debt Army: #442 || Frugal Living Challenge 2018 || January 2018 Grocery £1.22/£100 ||
  • MrsGSR
    MrsGSR Posts: 1,041 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    My mum and dad had the most amazimg pantry in their old house. It was a walk in one and they had room for everything food wise, glasses, tupperware and tableinen and stuff and also had a small fridge with a freezer box in there. There was even enough room for filing and paperwork. It meant a lot less clutter!
    Squirrelling away in September No 33
    It's not about the money, it's about financial freedom, being in control of it and living in the natural world and not a material world
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Blimey this thread moves fast.

I have a bag of carrots to be chopped and frozen and not left to rot.

I have been making my own bread for a while but have been struggling lately as every loaf I make sticks and rips to pieces when I try to get it out. I think two new bread tins are needed.

I have the broad beans to plant soon which will help with costs. I'm really looking forward to getting into the garden and starting to get stuff planted again in the spring.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Options
    Could I join in this challenge please? I want to live on as little as possible in 2014 but have the odd treat and birthday meal out also. Even if that is with vouchers.
    I am going to just use cash to keep myself mindful of my spending. This will in turn create change to save in 20p jar to pay for next Decembers grocery shopping. I will save any loyalty points for this as well, any spare will buy presents.
    I am also going to spend less on rubbish, like snacks and alcohol.
    We don't have debt but need to protect our small savings after taking a pay cut.
    Good luck to everyone.
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • 23rdspiral
    23rdspiral Posts: 1,929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver! Xmas Saver!
    edited 18 December 2013 at 6:47PM
    Options
    ALJA wrote: »
    I think I will create a spreadsheet for my expected expenses for the year (e.g. birthdays, holidays, mothers day, fathers day) and start planning what I need to buy for each or checking to see what I already have to give as presents. :)

Have you seen CWs spreadsheet? (aka the Spreadsheet of Wonder) It's linked from the first post (i'll go grab the link and edit this in a moment). It was brilliant for me as i can use a spreadsheet but could not set a fancy one up myself.

The only question i have this year is I might not have any income coming in so husband will pay for more things, but i'll do the buying, so i'm not sure how to put that on the spreadsheet. (as previously it was just my spends and my half of the join spends)

Edited to add cut and past from post 1:

FREE Spreadsheet - link to Cheryl's (CW18) budget spreadsheet
    Relax, Breathe, Love 2014 Challenges:Cross Stitch Cafe Challenger 23. Frugal Living Challenger. No buying cleaning products. I used MSE advice to reduce my car insurance from 550 to 325!! & paid it off in full!!!
  • 23rdspiral
    23rdspiral Posts: 1,929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver! Xmas Saver!
    Options
    as I am a short !!!!!... I cant reach the top shelves in the wall cupboards, so I tend to plonk things in there, and then once they get pushed to the back I cant see them...

that's my issue too! Only things like icing sugar and stuffing are safe on the top shelf as i so rarely use them i rarely run out so can almost gurantee they'll be there if i get the steps out and rummage.

- can you use your existing greenhouse frame with polytunel plastic? (if the cost of getting new glass is the prohibative bit?). I've seen polytunnels cobbled together from reused and recycled things so they can be achieved cheeper than bought new.
    MrsGSR wrote: »
    My mum and dad had the most amazimg pantry in their old house. It was a walk in one and they had room for everything food wise, glasses, tupperware and tableinen and stuff and also had a small fridge with a freezer box in there. There was even enough room for filing and paperwork. It meant a lot less clutter!

wow! i'd love this! (i'd have to knock into next door to achieve it though!)
    Relax, Breathe, Love 2014 Challenges:Cross Stitch Cafe Challenger 23. Frugal Living Challenger. No buying cleaning products. I used MSE advice to reduce my car insurance from 550 to 325!! & paid it off in full!!!
  • alja
    alja Posts: 838 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    23rdspiral wrote: »
    Have you seen CWs spreadsheet? (aka the Spreadsheet of Wonder) It's linked from the first post (i'll go grab the link and edit this in a moment). It was brilliant for me as i can use a spreadsheet but could not set a fancy one up myself.

The only question i have this year is I might not have any income coming in so husband will pay for more things, but i'll do the buying, so i'm not sure how to put that on the spreadsheet. (as previously it was just my spends and my half of the join spends)

Edited to add cut and past from post 1:

FREE Spreadsheet - link to Cheryl's (CW18) budget spreadsheet

Ooh lovely! Thank you! I will take a look at this :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure