2014 Frugal Living Challenge

Options

Comments

• Mrs_Cheshire
    Options
    My husband started making shelves to add some storage to our kitchen for me to store my jars of flour, sugar etc. All this talk of pantry's reminded me that I need to encourage hubby to finish it off whilst he's off in January on holiday. I could also get him to put some shelves into the under stairs storage bit.

I love the idea of making the christmas cards into tags, my mum used to do it 20 yrs ago.
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
  • 23rdspiral
    23rdspiral Posts: 1,929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver! Xmas Saver!
    Options
    My husband started making shelves to add some storage to our kitchen for me to store my jars of flour, sugar etc. All this talk of pantry's reminded me that I need to encourage hubby to finish it off whilst he's off in January on holiday. I could also get him to put some shelves into the under stairs storage bit.

I love the idea of making the christmas cards into tags, my mum used to do it 20 yrs ago.

that's thrifty with time and resources... Finishing something off then adding on more jobs for hubby using the same equipment! :T;)

---

I'm trying Meatloaf for dinner.... Fingers crossed its edible! Bulking out cheap Asda beef & pork mince (what else can u use this cheap mince for?), with breadcrumbs and finely chopped bendy carrots & celery seems like a great idea.
    I didn't have enough old bread (and wasn't about to cut fresh) so I blitzed leftover cooked pasta and added that... It's all from wheat right? :rotfl: fingers crossed!
    Relax, Breathe, Love 2014 Challenges:Cross Stitch Cafe Challenger 23. Frugal Living Challenger. No buying cleaning products. I used MSE advice to reduce my car insurance from 550 to 325!! & paid it off in full!!!
  • Antwerpen
    Options
    I'd love to join in!!Need to read the other threads now!!
    Debts CC1 1424 // CC2 1836.65 // CC3 [STRIKE]973.40[/STRIKE] 823.70 // CC4 [STRIKE]609.05[/STRIKE] 459.04 // Very [STRIKE]422.25[/STRIKE] ah now 533.53 :(
    Total [STRIKE]7036.54[/STRIKE] 5076.92 :eek: !!!
  • Dozey_crow
    Options
    Sorry I was replying to the poster who was talking about bread tins but I quoted the wrong post....

Hello... We had this problem with the tins for a while... we were looking for others but had to carry on with what we had for a while so we wanted then I'm nearly boiling water with loads of fairy and have them a really good scrub. Although we washed them after each use this really seemed to help.

We have also found that greasing with the 'baking fat' block which is 49p from Asda really works and failing that we line the bottom with greaseproof paper... Good job we worked something or really because over a year later we are still looking for tins :rotfl:

My plan is to be more organized next year but I need to sit down over Christmas and work it all out financially first of all. I will be back to report soon.

Its so nice to have a nice supportive thread.
  • Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
    Options
    Hi all

Yes I'd like to give this a try :
    My DFD is 2017 but I'd like to get that down
    I'd like to pay off my interest only mortgage
    I'm hoping to retire before 95 |!
    I know I could do better with a few ideas and a bit of inspiration

Thanks for all the helpful posts so far

Merry Christmas & Happy New year to all that celebrate
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
  • Mrs_Cheshire
    Options
    23rdspiral wrote: »
    that's thrifty with time and resources... Finishing something off then adding on more jobs for hubby using the same equipment! :T;)

He loves using his power tools so may as well take advantage. Just got to save enough money between now and then to buy the wood and brackets!
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
  • paulineb_2
    paulineb_2 Posts: 6,489 Forumite
    Options
    Id like to join too, am pretty frugal as Im broke and MSE has helped me a lot this year, but next year Im going to grit my teeth and be more frugal if thats possible which Im sure it is.
  • Frugalsod
    Frugalsod Posts: 2,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would like to sign up for 2014 please desperately want to get rid of all my debt. Currently have a debt free month set to January 2015 but would love to pay it off sooner if I can.

My debt free date is a few months later than that but I am only slightly off target. Hopefully next year I will do a lot better.
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
  • thepennyfarthings
    Options
    Evening, just found this:

https://www.cheap-family-recipes.org.uk

(Thanks twink)

Might
    be worth a look:)
    :xmassign:tpf
  • Shortie
    Shortie Posts: 2,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Woooooo hooooo! Mr Shortie sold my car tonight and got more than I was expecting! He sold it for £550 - it's a fab and uber reliable but we're going down to one new car. So another £500 to my Dad and the remaining £50 will be used to treat the boys and we'll go to watch Frozen at the weekend as a family treat.

I'm hoping this means I can have the rest paid off by Feb's payday. Also means one less tax, MOT and insurance to pay each year :D

Am going to settle now for half hour before bed and listen to the howling wind down the chimney with my crochet - started it last year :o
    April 2021 Grocery Challenge 34.29 / 250
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport