Pay Off Before Lay Off!

Options

Comments

• janineh1982
    Options
    Hi Habibiboo ( had to check my spelling multiple times lol for your name :p) - just thought I'd pop buy and say :hello:

Sounds like you are doing really well :Ton the MFW front, despite scam artists :mad: and front doors :doh: conspiring against you!

Loving the format of yr thread (MFW, cloud, s lining etc), it seems to add structure to the post, which mine sadly lack - generally just a lot of rambling for multiple paragraphs :rotfl: .... I have to confess I may steal this in some form :o

I'm with you on your grey cloud updates of late (literally) - DH and I have two beautiful boxer girls (not that I'm biased :grin: of course) - never a day off for us walking them though, come rain, shine or floods our girlies have wayyy to much energy not to be walked every day :)
    I do thoroughly enjoy it though so not complaining - even when I am 'waterproofed' up in my wet walking gear, vaguely resembling a female blue/purple Michelin woman :rotfl:
    April 14 Deposit Target: [STRIKE]£31,660[/STRIKE] £35038/67,620 -[STRIKE] 46.82%[/STRIKE] 51.81% (£15582 to save + £17k from car sale)
    2014 - Buy (hopefully) the 'Forever' Home :T
    2024 - Be MF :eek:
    Remember: "Live a good life. In the end it's not the years in the life, it's life in the years" - Abe Lincoln
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi Habibiboo ( had to check my spelling multiple times lol for your name :p)

I agree. Habibiboo, I hereby christen you Hbbb :D.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Tabatha_Kitten
    Options
    gallygirl wrote: »
    I agree. Habibiboo, I hereby christen you Hbbb :D.

He he ! I agree ! Hbbb it is !
    Im still lurking and stalking your posts. Sorry, but Im more of a reader than a poster but I have my moments.
    Thanks for continuing with the purple. Its much easier on my eyes ;)
  • Habibiboo
    Habibiboo Posts: 1,582 Forumite
    edited 31 January 2014 at 9:07AM
    Options
    :wave:

TK, GG and J: Thanks for stopping by and for your comments! There's a story to do with the name, which is why I use it but I'm more than happy to be re-christened ... to tell the truth, I answer to most things, so whatever works for y'all is fine by me! :p

Janineh: you're most welcome to take ideas from the structure ... I do it like this because it helps to focus me on my priorities, plus I'm just the kind of person who is more confident in structuring my thoughts before committing them to the public scrutiny of an open forum (crikey, if you thought about it too long you just wouldn't do it, would you?)

** Just read that back, I don't mean that black clouds are priorities, the other things are really, but sometimes it helps to acknowledge the black clouds in order to appreciate the sunshine ... meteorologically and metaphorically!

And I know what you mean about the dogs ~ I prefer to get them out everyday, whatever the weather but the boy has other ideas if it's raining! They do still have the run of the garden and usually spend at least half an hour jumping on each other (inside or out) if they don't get a walk! We managed a quick one today but I'd like to get a long one in with them this weekend as I feel they've been a bit short-changed this week, thanks to the weather! Love your girls in your avatar, they're looking good!

So, another wet one today, but plenty of other things going on along with the weather ...

;)Today's MFW action: final Tilly Tidy for this month & sorted spreadsheet for end of the month as won't have the chance to do this tomorrow. MOP total for this month = £510 (rounded up). Pretty happy with this as the first full month at it and OH hasn't really got around to sorting out his end of upping the contributions (apart from me nicking his dressing-table kill)!

:(Today's grey cloud: Just the weather (again)!!

:)Today's silver lining: We're now planning ourselves a little day out in London in March thanks to the free MSE Ideal Home tx, managed to bag a couple so we can go to the show ... very excited as I've never been although Mr. Hbbb has in his life before me (see what I did there)? Be good to do something we've never done together before! I will be looking with interest at front doors, of course!

:pDaily declutter: 2nd box of CDs picked up by MMpie. Bit annoying though as the payment for first box hasn't gone through yet and that was my "test" one to see how reasonable they are about paying what they've declared once you send the CDs in (never used them before, you see). Still, we'll see, just wanted to be able to count the cash for the £5 a day challenge too! Anyways, total out so far = 7 / 365.

:DToday's simple pleasures: H/M pea soup ... erm, yes I know, poor menu planning (and getting locked out on Monday) has put thick green pea soup in the same week as purple beetroot soup. What can I say ... we're not eating any licquorice allsorts this week, that's for sure!
    Stash busting 2014 45 / 60 (balls of yarn)!
    2014 Sealed Pot #2136 ?/£500
    House: Decluttering 322 / 365
    Original mortgage [STRIKE]£149,000[/STRIKE][STRIKE]£117,750[/STRIKE];[STRIKE]£112,500[/STRIKE] MFW 2014#69 GOAL 1: [STRIKE]£109 K April[/STRIKE] ;) GOAL 2: [STRIKE]£103 K by Sept[/STRIKE] ;) GOAL 3: < £100k by end of 2014 MF goal: Nov 2020 - 4 years early
  • Pearla*Merle
    Options
    Habibiboo wrote: »
    P*M - knitted knee pads ~ why didn't I think of that? Sounds like an excellent stashbuster! And you're right, the simple pleasures were just that! Hope your knee's not struggling with this cold snap too!
    I've had a few tingly moments but have been decadent with my thermal legging use so have escaped the worst of it, whew.
    :)Today's silver lining: Lots of work done today and knee is feeling quite a bit better ~ support bandage is working wonders, although it makes me feel quite old to be in what was always known in the house of my childhood as "nan's surgical stockings!" I probably need to rinse them and hang them in the most annoying place possible over the bath to complete my metamorphosis though!
    :rotfl: :rotfl:

PS. How lovely about the mosaic making freecycler, so nice to know how things are going to end up. :)

PPS. I might conspire with Janineh to borrow some of your post structure too, if you don't mind? ;) I ramble like goodness knows what, and love the idea of highlighting a MFW moment (& a simple pleasure ones! :heart:)
    a penny picker upper. MFW approx 78% to go | FIRE 3 years worth (30% savings rate: now aiming for 40%!) | Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it | Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible | The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library
  • Habibiboo
    edited 31 January 2014 at 9:37AM
    Options
    I've had a few tingly moments but have been decadent with my thermal legging use so have escaped the worst of it, whew.

... Decadent and thermal leggings in the same sentence ... That's something you don't see every day! Glad to know it's working tho P*M"

PS. How lovely about the mosaic making freecycler, so nice to know how things are going to end up. :)

Yes, it's often inspiring to find out what others are doing with such bits and bobs! The irony is that I was kind of saving it for the same thing, but, in order of significance: Mr.Hbbb was moaning every time he tripped over my carefully stashed box of treasures in the [STRIKE]garage[/STRIKE] man cave; I just don't think I have the talent (OH also pointed out there are sharps involved and I have a cartoon-like tendency towards clumsiness); I just don't seem to have the time! So, it's gone to fulfill its destiny in much more expert hands than mine!

PPS. I might conspire with Janineh to borrow some of your post structure too, if you don't mind? ;) I ramble like goodness knows what, and love the idea of highlighting a MFW moment (& a simple pleasure ones! :heart:)

:). yours is a lovely thread P*M, no rambles but lots of useful and helpful thoughts! However, whatever you need, just borrow away P*M, borrow away! If you're going for the Full Structure Monty, may I suggest "stationery status"' "knitter natter" and "daily diagram" sections for your thread too though, to keep us readers up to date with your projects as you've now got us all on a need-to-know basis ... that is to say, we need to know! :)

Seriously though, hope you're feeling a bit better today and ready for the weekend!
    Original mortgage [STRIKE]£149,000[/STRIKE][STRIKE]£117,750[/STRIKE];[STRIKE]£112,500[/STRIKE] MFW 2014#69 GOAL 1: [STRIKE]£109 K April[/STRIKE] ;) GOAL 2: [STRIKE]£103 K by Sept[/STRIKE] ;) GOAL 3: < £100k by end of 2014 MF goal: Nov 2020 - 4 years early
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    On the stationery front, our new work A5 notebooks are the perfect size for my bag but:
    a) they're not pink
    b) they're not flowery or spotty or stripy (well, apart from the lines inside ;))
    c) they're not glittery
    so am in a bit of a quandary :o.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Habibiboo
    Options
    gallygirl wrote: »
    On the stationery front, our new work A5 notebooks are the perfect size for my bag but:
    a) they're not pink
    b) they're not flowery or spotty or stripy (well, apart from the lines inside ;))
    c) they're not glittery
    so am in a bit of a quandary :o.

:eek: Desperate situations call for desperate measures, GG, I strongly suggest you break the seal on the emergency glitter glues, gel pens and sticker stash! After all, you have to "personalise" yours so that someone else doesn't pick it up in error, thus saving time and stress in the workplace for both yourself and your colleagues!
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    Habibiboo wrote: »
    :eek: Desperate situations call for desperate measures, GG, I strongly suggest you break the seal on the emergency glitter glues, gel pens and sticker stash! After all, you have to "personalise" yours so that someone else doesn't pick it up in error, thus saving time and stress in the workplace for both yourself and your colleagues!
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    GG, I have lots of beautiful stickers for decorating your book with. Will ask DD to share her stash with you.

Tilly x x
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • Habibiboo
    edited 1 February 2014 at 12:41AM
    Options

Quick check in, hope everyone's OK!

;)Today's MFW actions: Sorted my tally yesterday so not much to report, just a bit of general frugality, which is all to the greater good!

:(Today's grey cloud: I only ever use bleach sparingly and did so today but forgot I was wearing long, dangly type cardigan (black). Took a couple of moments for me to realise that dangly front edge was dangling where I'd just put the bleach (big sigh). So, I now have another "only in the house" cardigan, which is a pain as it's actually my favourite cardi!

:) Today's silver lining: in true Baldrick fashion I've come up with a cunning plan to prevent me getting locked out, thereby reducing immediate emergency to replace front door (it would be better if we could make do until after the summer and use student money for it rather than CC or MOP pot)!

I could use the back gate & back door to come and go via back door & back gate but don't like to because you can't secure back gate from the outside and I'm worried that being seen going out of it makes the house vulnerable (especially if I'm taking the dogs with me - the reason I go out at lunchtime on work days). However, after much thinking I've decided that if I unbolt back gate from the inside, go back in the house & lock the back door but take the key out of the lock, myself and pooches can then leave the house via front door, but if door/lock plays us up when we return, we can then go to the road round the back and come in that way! :T

I've even remembered to put a back door key on my key ring, so we're all good to go!

:p Daily declutter: have recycled some footwear so that a pair of ankle boots I haven't worn much (soles get slippery when wet - I abandoned them because I nearly killed myself twice whilst wearing them to town) have been cleaned up & are now my house boots (fleecy inside for happy house feet) and I've thrown away my old slipper boots which had big hold in bottom but I was making do with! So that's old slippers gone and abandoned-to-pile-under-stairs boots now back in use. Not sure if this counts as 1 or 2 on the big total, but will go with 1 and see what everyone else thinks! So total now at 8 / 365!

:DToday's simple pleasures: My sis and BIL are coming round tonight as is BIL's birthday this weekend. They wanted to do a takeout but it's a bit expensive so I've used my £7 "sorry we were useless" voucher from Mr A and raided the store cupboard for chick peas, lentils, tomatoes and such and have created H/M takeout for approx £12, £7 of which was the voucher, so meal for 4 for £5, all to be followed by game of cards and much ribald humour I suspect!

Hope everyone else has a good evening and happy weekend!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure