Trying to see a doctor....VENT

Options

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The practice I'm registered with now has you phone in the morning, a doctor calls you back, usually within 30 minutes and they decide the best next action, eg appointment, prescription, practice nurse etc..

I didn't like it at first, but it seems to work quite well. I've always seen a doctor on the day I've needed to. On other occasions, I've been able to sort the problem with the phone call, eg discuss test results, referrals or request a prescription not on my repeat item list etc
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My previous GP practice changed its policy so you can only phone on the day to make an appointment. Ok if its your day off and have nothing planned until after 5pm. I start work at 11:30am a couple of days and think I could get an appt before 10:45, I be alright.

Nope, they seem to give me appts for 2-3pm. I did not take them as my employer will not let me go in a middle of a shift. Plus its 15 min drive each way, plus I could be seen 20-30 mins later than the appt time.

I changed GP practice because of this. My new one has a drop in clinic every morning and providing you turn up before 10am, you will be seen to.

I wish GP practices understand that about half of their patients work and unable to leave halfway through their shift. If you are going to be half hour late or need to leave half an hour earlier, many employers won't mind the odd time.
  • sparky0138
    Options
    I feel very lucky with my doctors. Phone up at 8am (wait in a queue but usually get through within 5-10 minutes) and make an appointment for the same day.

If the doctor you want to see is on that day, you can usually get to see them if you ring up early enough otherwise you get whoever's available.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,588 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If you aren't getting good service it is far better to engage with the practice. Ours has been through numerous changes over the last couple of years, some worked, some didn't, but the patient reps meeting are an opportunity to suggest changes and they are acted on.

We now have 8am-8pm appointments, Saturday morning surgery, chemist open until 11pm during the week, 8pm at weekends and all with the same number of doctors.
  • LimeLight
    LimeLight Posts: 8,038 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Our surgery has an urgent access thing every weekday between 8,30 and 10.30 if you don't mind who you see.

They also have Saturday appointments.
    just passing through.... Nothing to see....
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,561 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Truly amazing the difference between the best and the worst. Roll on the day when there is more choice of GP and perhaps more pressure on the worst performers to up their game. Remembering the patient is important and their taxes are paying might be a start.
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    When we moved 6 years ago, we visited a few practises.
    One quickly eliminated itself - because when we went - they were in the process of shutting for the day!
    Then, there was two in the same medical centre - brochures on each - basically chose the one with the most doctors = one male, two female, and another two female part time.
    Can book appointments on-line (emi)with whoever we want - two to three weeks.
    Or, if its urgent - ring at 8.00 am for an time the same day - a few hours later - though the time will probably over-run.
    No problem works well.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    we moved in june and we have gone from one of the worst the best . At our new practice we can make & cancel appointments /order repeat prescriptions online and theres a chemist next door thats open until 10-30m 7 days a week so i can order meds and pick them up on a Sunday when its nice and quiet.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oddly enough, I tried to make an appointment with a nurse recently at my GP's. There were no free appointments for a month but I was offered a doctor's appointment for the day after ...
  • sistafromanothermista
    Options
    Well, you can't book an appointment at ours for say, next week. You MUST call on the day.
    So 8am you call....engaged....redial......engaged...and so on about 20 times. When you do finally get through they tell you all the appointments for that day have gone and you need to try again tomorrow! :mad::mad::mad:
    DEBT FREE AND PROUD:D
    'Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure