Trying to see a doctor....VENT

Options
Well at least they have at long last changed the phone number to a local one so it is free!
But I went in to get an appointment and they say I have to see my doctor, not any doctor and the first available date is 9th Dec. 11 days hence.
Surely this is not good enough!!! No I don't go often, last time was Jan 2012!

Comments

• Twisted_Cherry
    Options
    I mm surprised you can't see another doctor in the practice. Our practice does not have a specific one per patient, but I (and no doubt like others) have a preferred one and the one I prefer usually is booked up weeks in advance!
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    Our practice has a "see whichever doctor is available" process (although you can try to get an appointment with a specific doctor). But we have a registered doctor - a named doctor at the practice to be specified on official forms etc.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    And the authorities wonder why more people are going to A&E.

Whatever happened to turning up at your GP's surgery at 8.00am or 5.00pm, waiting in the queue for an hour or two and seeing your family doctor?
  • Dreamnine
    Dreamnine Posts: 8,370 Forumite
    Options
    Hasn't your practice got an 'emergency problems clinic?'

Mine has this twice a week when you can just turn up, wait and see a doctor.
    I shot a vein in my neck and coughed up a Quaalude.
    Lou Reed The Last Shot
  • aileth
    aileth Posts: 2,822 Forumite
    Options
    Last time I phoned to see any Doctor, it was a three to four week wait. They said that if you phone the surgery at opening time, they allocate a set number of appointments for the day for first come first serve phone calls. Well, good luck with that, I tried and it was constantly engaged for the first half an hour, and when I finally go through all the slots were taken.
  • castle96
    castle96 Posts: 2,889 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    https://patient.emisaccess.co.uk/Account/Login?ReturnUrl=%2f

try this online booking system (IF your Dr is on it)
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 7,001 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 28 November 2013 at 5:29PM
    Options
    Thanks for replies, it was just a vent really. We used to be able to see any doctor in the practice but now we have to see 'our' doctor. It isn't urgent, if it was I could see a nurse who would then book me to see a doctor the same day, I don't have a problem with that just that after all the hype from Cameron a few years ago his promise of seeing a doctor within three days has had no effect at ground level.
    My Doctors practice does not have internet booking thanks.
  • wellused
    wellused Posts: 1,678 Forumite
    Options
    We have to phone up and tell the receptionist what the problem is and then the doctor will phone you back and decide whether she/he needs to see you. It does work but a strange way to do it.
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    castle96 wrote: »
    https://patient.emisaccess.co.uk/Account/Login?ReturnUrl=%2f

try this online booking system (IF your Dr is on it)

That is a joke! My surgery used it until earlier this year. Whenever I logged on, it said. No appointments available. Contact the surgery if you need one. Now either there were appointments to offer or there weren't any...!
    Now they do same day only. No advance booking. They changed it because so many patients were forgetting/not turning up.
    I would like to have the option of booking online 2-3 weeks ahead to get the best time. If you workin in Central London and live in the suburbs, an appt. at 11 or 1pm is useless.
  • Faith177
    Faith177 Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mine is just as bad only open 9:30-1 then 3 till 6 which means I have to take time off work to attend.

They use to do 1 late night appointment a month which used to be rammed. They dropped it as in their opinion there wasn't the demand. Go figure :(

Even though its a trail to get an appointment especially trying to get pass the dragon queen on reception they really get things sorted.

I went there on Tues for an issue with my knee was told I needed an MRI. MRI people rang today I have an appointment for one on the 9th which is fantastic as i was told there was a 3 week wait
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure