plus sized and pregnant

Options
hi all.

im 14weeks today and im already showing. im finding it really difficult to find plus sized maternity clothes.

i work in a smart office and im struggling.
so far iv found next and bon prix have smart trousers
fashion world, simply be, fun mum, matalan & mothercare all do some but not a good range and are poor quality

im a size 22 and if im stuggling this early on, im petrified of whats its going to be like later on

please can you share where you shop?
iv asked asos, yours,evans, dorothy perkins and new look but noone has any plans for a plus size maternity range

Comments

• ellawood
    ellawood Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    Have you tried simply be
  • monnie38
    Options
    oh i forgot to put them in, yeh iv tried there but a top can be 38, but they dont have a very good range, i did get a pair of trousers but they were a bad cut
  • emz118
    emz118 Posts: 600 Forumite
    Options
    Not much advice really, just feeling your pain!!! I lost 3 stone this year before I got pregnant, taking me from a 22 to a 16-18. I've been thinking throughout my pregnancy (26+5 now) that I'm soooo glad I did, as I've struggled enough finding top end of "normal" maternity ranges. I've given up on finding smart trousers!

I have 2 jersey pencil skirts from Matalan's normal range which are an 18, and I'm still in them with a "huge" bump according to other people. They're really comfy, only £10 and look smart with a floaty top. I've only started to wear maternity clothes in the last 3 weeks. Up until then I was wearing tops in a size bigger, especially the ones with the bubble hem.

Thinking about it though, I tried on some dresses in kiddicare which were a 16 and were really generous. Could be worth a look, because I think they went up to at least a 20. I can't remember the brand name though....

Good luck!!!
    First date 10.2.2002
    Engaged 18.8.2010
    Wedding 9.4.2012
    Baby #1 due 26.2.2014 :j
  • monnie38
    Options
    thank you thats really helpful i didnt even know they did a range.

i think if i can find some good tights i do have a skirt i can get away with, lol its just finding the tights haha!
  • shiningfaery
    Options
    I was the same as you, all the high street stores are taking their maternity out of stores to which makes it even more difficult. I ended up wearing leggings and maxi dresses all the time. Have you tried going up a size instead know its not ideal...good luck with your pregnancy
  • emz118
    emz118 Posts: 600 Forumite
    Options
    I have tights from mothercare in xl and they are huge... I get called Norma Batty all day!!! Not swapping them until I ladder them, but I'll defo go down to large next time. :)

Kiddicare stock Blooming Marvellous.... mothercare do some of the range too.
    First date 10.2.2002
    Engaged 18.8.2010
    Wedding 9.4.2012
    Baby #1 due 26.2.2014 :j
  • monnie38
    Options
    SF- i guess i could i dont want to sound stupid though but i like the shape over bump trousers give me, they give me more of a D shape rather than a B shape, does that make sense?

emz- i will order a pair now, thank you !
  • Gillybean103
    Options
    Firstly, congratulations, I loved being pregnant and I'm a plus size. I got a few tops from mothercare, and their under the bump jersey trousers are fab, I'm usually a 24/26 in trousers but mine are a 20 and I still wear them now lol

Next have a good range of maternity, but also take a look on ebayi got some bargains and lovely clothes from there. Mothercare tights are fab and are so comfy as are their leggings. Really just have a look on the next sale page and you'll find some lovely things to wear

Keep us posted when you find things
  • minimoneysaver
    Options
    'Yours' do some beautiful tunic dresses. They'll look lovely for work with a pair of leggings.

They go right up to a 30 something. The best thing is, some of the tops you'll be able to wear afterwards. x
  • hawk30
    hawk30 Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not plus size, but when I was pregnant I wore a lot of M&S normal clothes as they have trousers with elasticated waists and, at the time, they also had a number of tops that were elasticated at the bottom, so they grew as my bump grew.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure