IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking eye charge notice

dp7_2
dp7_2 Posts: 9 Forumite
edited 21 November 2013 at 6:00PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Can anyone please advise?

I received a parking charge back in October for overstaying on a car park of 'The Range' store by less than 15 minutes (apparently there is a 2 hour limit free of charge). As a genuine customer of the store I was outraged and chose to ignore the notice which claimed the £100 charge would be reduced to £60 if I paid within 28 days.

I have now received a further charge from Parking Eye of £100 which should be paid within 14 days. I have no receipt for the store and paid cash for refreshments whilst meeting a family member - I am not in the habit of keeping receipts for weeks on end in case I get a ridiculous parking bill!!

Can somebody please advise? I am unsure if I can now appeal, unsure whether to continue ignoring or write to the store / PE direct. I cannot understand how a customer can be treated this way for a genuine short overstay whilst using the store!!

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Welcome to MSE, this is pretty much covered in the sticky thread 'newbies, have you got a private parking ticket? Read this now!' where I say even if you are technically too late to appeal, appeal anyway as keeper and complain to the retailer. There's another sticky thread about 'successful complaints' at the top of the forum - and you don't need receipts although the Range are shocking sometimes with their response.

Try the local Store Manager and appeal to PE online right now. Do read both sticky threads first for confidence with the complaint, & information about appealing.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • dp7_2
    Thanks.

I have read through those and thought I was too late to appeal as I have to appeal to PE first of POPLA doesn't recognise the appeal? There seems to be so many pieces of advice I don't know where to start!

I will complain to the store manager and appeal to PE online as you suggest.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 22 November 2013 at 6:02PM
    dp7 wrote: »
    Thanks.

I have read through those and thought I was too late to appeal as I have to appeal to PE first of POPLA doesn't recognise the appeal? There seems to be so many pieces of advice I don't know where to start!

I will complain to the store manager and appeal to PE online as you suggest.

Make sure you ask PE that, if they are rejecting your appeal, they forward your POPLA verification code.

Once you've got that you'll be well on your way to getting rid of this charge. PE have lost every single POPLA appeal that has been advised/assisted by this forum and/or PePiPoo.

Make sure you get on with this; don't wait for the outcome of your complaint to The Range.

Let us know when you've received it. Don't do POPLA on your own if you're not sure where you are with it.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Coupon-mad
    dp7 wrote: »
    Thanks.

Why not read it again, start at the top of my newbies thread. It's not that complicated to understand whether to appeal and how (seeing as I provide copious simple links to example appeals wording by way of a little bit of much-needed spoon-feeding for newbies).

And I don't even understand the question you typed above!
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 25 November 2013 at 10:09AM
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Why not read it again, start at the top of my newbies thread. It's not that complicated to understand whether to appeal and how (seeing as I provide copious simple links to example appeals wording by way of a little bit of much-needed spoon-feeding for newbies).

And I don't even understand the question you typed above!

I think that the OP seems to think they can no longer appeal to the PPC due to the time that has passed

assuming they are within the time frame for a "soft appeal" then clearly that is what they must do, then get the POPLA code for the "proper appeal" to take place (assuming the PPC dont waive the charge)

so in a nutshell

you appeal to the PPC after receiving the letter to RK (normally without naming the driver)

if this doesnt get the charge waived, you obtain a POPLA code from the PPC and appeal to popla with a more detailed appeal which should ensure that POPLA uphold your appeal and the charge is then waived

in simplistic terms, that is the process for england and wales for PPC charges

crucial dates are

the day it happened

the day the notice to keeper arrived

the time limit for the right to appeal it- so that date is important too

after that is the time limit to send in your popla appeal, so that is also an important date
  • Coupon-mad - Sorry for the poor rushed wording, I am extremely busy.

Yes, I was trying to say that I thought I was too late to appeal but I have done anyway. I will let you know when I receive a response.

Thank you all for your comments.
  • My first post - I hope I'm getting it right!
    Anyway - problem: I'm embroiled with Parking Eye in a ridiculous wrangle: to cut a long story short, I didn't understand how their ticket machine worked, and put my £1 in before realising I had to enter my car registration. I couldn't find any means of retrieving my coin, but went back to the car to check the reg, and of course in the meantime someone else came to use the machine. So I wrote a note explaining that I had paid but hadn't been able to obtain a ticket. A few weeks later I received the letter saying I was being fined for not showing a valid parking ticket, with photographic evidence showing my entry and exit from the car park an hour and one minute apart. I appealed, explaining the circumstances. This was rejected - I appealed again, using a template from this website, and once again was turned down. I responded saying if the fine wasn't cancelled I would send copies of all the correspondance to the two Norwich MPs, the Eastern Daily Press - and Martin Lewis. I now have a letter threatening me with court action and associated costs. This is an utterly ridiculous state of affairs over a disputed £1 discrepancy - I have every intention of pursuing this to a sensible conclusion (i.e.getting the fine cancelled, of course) - but I'd welcome some comments please. This is a shortened version of events! One mistake I seem to have made is to continue corresponding with Parking Eye rather than POPLA- is this fatal? No human names have appeared on any of the letters I have received from them, and there is no indication that my letters have been read at all. Hence the title asking if PE is run by robots - Cybermen or Daleks I should think! Sorry this is so long.............
  • Coupon-mad
    Yes that was a close-to-fatal error, you only needed to Google it and come here sooner, and OMG we win every time at POPLA which you've missed if you actually ignored a POPLA code. PE will take you to court now unless you robustly head off their claim by responding as per the advice in the 'LBCCC fightback' thread.

Start your own thread about this if you have not already! This isn't your thread.
  • dp7_2
    If I have appealed to PE after alleged '28 day' period am I likely to be ignored by PE or would I still be likely to receive a rejection notice from them? I am unsure how long to leave it before chasing again?

Is it possible to obtain a POPLA verification code from PE if your appeal is late? The POPLA website seems to suggest not?
  • Coupon-mad
    Wait and see. Why are you assuming you were late? You had 28 days to appeal from service of the Notice to Keeper (first letter) which is assumed served 2 working days after the posted/issued date. I think you may be confusing two 28 days periods as there won't be anything on the POPLA website about how long you had to do your first (non-POPLA) appeal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure