Sky multi room help

Options
Hi. I have a Sky+ box downstairs but would like the multi room for upstairs. From Sky, another plus box would cost me near £200. Could I buy one of Ebay?

The £1,000 emergency fund challenge #163 - £536.16/£1000

Comments

• scheming_gypsy
    Options
    i never bought an extra box. Pretty sure i got a box free as part of the multiroom package.

but yep you'd be able to get one off eBay although you may need to pair it to the card.
  • nextyeartina
    Options
    Hi. Thanks for the reply. I can get the basic box for free but wanted the Sky+ which they want £200ish for.

• pc1271
    pc1271 Posts: 279 Forumite
    Options
    I think it's a joke that Sky charge you twice for a tv package when it doesn't actually cost them anything for you to have two boxes in your house. Paying for a TV package is fine, but charging you when you want to watch in your bedroom instead of downstairs is unreasonable in my opinion.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    pc1271 wrote: »
    I think it's a joke that Sky charge you twice for a tv package when it doesn't actually cost them anything for you to have two boxes in your house. Paying for a TV package is fine, but charging you when you want to watch in your bedroom instead of downstairs is unreasonable in my opinion.
    Virgin are no different, of course. If you truly don't think it's worth the money then the simple answer is not to purchase (a bit like payTV generally)
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In which case get yourself a magic eye TV-Link.
    Remember if you have a Sky+ box in the bedroom you will need two feeds from your dish. So you'll need to have a quad LNB( usually standard)
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • scheming_gypsy
    Options
    pc1271 wrote: »

although there could be two people watching different channels, rather than watching in the bedroom instead of downstairs.
    For me, I live alone and sick of paying the extra just to watch it in bed.. I might move over onto a magic eye.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I would think if you phoned them up and asked nicely they would give you a SkyHD+ box for a nominal fee, I think I paid a fiver for installation on free extra box "because I was a loyal and long serving customer".
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    although there could be two people watching different channels, rather than watching in the bedroom instead of downstairs.
    For me, I live alone and sick of paying the extra just to watch it in bed.. I might move over onto a magic eye.

Used a magic eye for years, cheap and simple to set up.
    Be aware though if you have one of the newer Sky+ boxes( with built in wifi) they do not have an RF2 output so you have to buy an IO Connector along with the TV-Link.

http://accessories.sky.com/

Or maybe cheaper direct from Global.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • nextyeartina
    Options
    Hi & thanks for the replies. I want Sky multi room to replace my sons Tivo box. We got it free with a free package a few years ago because I had my phone & broadband with them. The deal has now finished. We've worked out it would be cheaper to get rid of the Tivo & get him the multi room. The other thing I'm worried about is I'm also thinking about having my home phone disconnected as it's never used. Would this be a problem with multi room?

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm also thinking about having my home phone disconnected as it's never used. Would this be a problem with multi room?
    Yes, the problem is that all Multi-Room decoders must remain connected to the same fixed and operational phone line at all times. If you barely use the 'phone, that means you will be paying around £15 a month extra simply to have your boxes connected. Sky won't countenance Multi-Room decoders failing their "callbacks" and will charge an extra full price subscription if the boxes aren't attached to the same landline.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure