NS&I 5 year index linked saving certs 2011 issue - half way point!

Options

Comments

• gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We're at -

58% pension (about 20% bonds)
    16% S&S ISAs (about 10% bonds)
    10% unwrapped equities (about 20% fixed interest )
    8% cash (NS&I linkers, term accounts at 2.5%, instant access at 3%)
    8% unwrapped equities in three technology companies with lashings of capital gains!

We're busy living in our only property so I refuse to include this! I also don't directly have those tech shares in my plans other than feeding them into S&S ISAs in future to diversify.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    We're busy living in our only property so I refuse to include this!

Quite correct, I also didn't include my home in the 59% that I quoted, that 59% is only investment property. I would include my home if it was a breakdown of 'wealth', but I consider 'portfolio' to mean something else.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • Wilkins
    Wilkins Posts: 444 Forumite
    Options
    slinga wrote: »
    But NS&I does tie your money up for a certain period. Withdraw it early and you might lose interest.
    With a UT ISA fund or even a UT fund you can withdraw at any time and gain or lose depending on how the fund is doing at that time.

Pay your money and make your choice.
    I was putting forward an alternative to the miniscule interest the Gov gives with NS&I.

Indeed. However, I think you will find that the more sophisticated investors here understand that equity based investments give better returns, but that they hold a certain amount of cash as savings (which may include ILSCs), not investments, in addition to their market-based portfolios, in order to facilitate long term strategies.
  • veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 January 2014 at 3:18PM
    Options
    The online calculator has now been updated with Jan inflation stats.

Good work from the NS&I as this used to take a couple of days to update. Seems they've made some changes to make it slicker.

Quite a jump in this months valuation

Edit - jump of circa 0.5% since last month if my numbers are correct
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    But NS&I does tie your money up for a certain period. Withdraw it early and you might lose interest.

On the older ones you get complete months if you're past the first year, so don't lose very much at all.
    The later ones are much worse Ts and Cs, but I agree you need to be aware of the the Ts and Cs.
    With a UT ISA fund or even a UT fund you can withdraw at any time and gain or lose

Agreed, and many people don't want or can't risk capital loss.
    Pay your money and make your choice.
    I was putting forward an alternative to the miniscule interest the Gov gives with NS&I.

I agree that it's a choice.
    I believe many people do actually choose to have guarantees against capital loss.
    Also my belief is that the vast majority of the population are not sophisticated investors and don't actually understand equities.

But I agree fundamentally with what you are saying.

I am saving to pay off my mortgage and personally I don't want to take any risk of losing that money (I have other money I take risks with).
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,499 Forumite
    Options
    Edit - jump of circa 0.5% since last month if my numbers are correct

Yep... you're right.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 14 January 2014 at 11:50PM
    Options
    Wilkins wrote: »
    equity based investments give better returns.

To be more exact, equities in the US and UK have given better returns if you look at long enough periods. In Japan, for instance, they've given rotten returns for a generation. In Austria, notoriously, equities bought in 1913 have done very poorly. So the question is: are you absolutely sure that Britain in 2014 is more like Britain in 1913 than Austria in 1913? Is the US like Japan in 1999? etc. And the answer is not known in advance.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    Options
    If you had bought them in May (like my wife) you would have gotten a better return (at the halfway point) than if you bought them in August (like me) due to deflation during July 2011.
  • ebayingnovice
    Options
    I have an Index linked savings certificate coming up for renewal. If renewed it would pay RPI plus 0.05 per year. Dec 2013's RPI was 2%.

I am wondering if the RPI is likely to move further down and if I might not do better tomove the cash to a Santander current account which pays 3% taxable. The bond is taxfree.

These index linked bonds have not been issued for a while, so if I cash in this one, the same product is not available to purchase again.

Your thoughts on this please.
  • noh
    noh Posts: 5,799 Forumite
    Options
    December 2013 RPI was 2.7%
    CPI was 2%
    Index linked certificates are linked to RPI.
    http://www3.hants.gov.uk/finance/retailpricesindexandconsumerpriceindex.htm
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport