Comments

• tweeter
    tweeter Posts: 3,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    "PLEASE NOTE: If you do not use your MAC code within 30 days of issue then
    your ADSL service will remain active with and you will continue to
    be billed your monthly renewals."

Is it just a matter of not asking for the Mac code at the end of the contract and let everything peter out, as I'm now thinking of going away for a month or two. Is it penny wise and pound foolish not to sign up to another provider straight away.
    Thanks for any replies.
    Peel back your baby's eyelid to find no nationality or religious identity mark there. Peer at your baby's eyes for them to reflect back just people-throw away your flags and religious symbols...

• tigerman
    tigerman Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    Been on with Namesco today, told me have to complete 12 months or 50 notes to pay for early termination, did not migrate into them originally think this makes a difference.
  • W1zz
    W1zz Posts: 620 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    tigerman wrote: »
    Been on with Namesco today, told me have to complete 12 months or 50 notes to pay for early termination, did not migrate into them originally think this makes a difference.

My dad didn't migrate to them - he was a new ADSL user.

Did you pay the £60 yearly subscription, if so, then your paid up for 12 months in advance. If your migrating to someone else, the only fee whould be the £20. As long as the migration is complete before your 12 month contract ends, otherwise you'll have to pay for extra month/s - This is what they told me via email when I enquired (see my post above).
  • tigerman
    tigerman Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    Rang twice just to check and both people said as long as i have had service for 12 months or longer i would not be charged, still costing for extra month though , warned me not to click ask for mac button on control panel
  • donerkebab
    donerkebab Posts: 177 Forumite
    Options
    I am also thinking of moving to Sky Broadband once the 12 months with Namesco is up. Should I request my MAC code 30 days before the renewal date or on the actual renewal date?
    To be honest have been very happy with the service - has anyone tryed haggling with their renewal team? I sure they would prefer to keep us on cheaper than see us move away.
    In the words of Jerry Maguire "SHOW ME THE MONEY"
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I contacted Namesco through Control Panel, stating I preferred the original annual renewal offer (equiv. of £10.95/month) and Emma from the customer servies team replied
    Hi there,

That is fine, you are able to pay for the year at the agreed £111.84 + VAT. I have created the renewal on your account, so you can pay the renewal when you wish. Please contact Customer Services or renew through your online control panel - (Under Unprocessed orders).

If you have any further queries, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards,

This seems reasonable enough, I had a year of trouble free service, which seems pretty good compared to some horror stories I've seen on these boards. I don't have Sky or cable, I spend less than 20p a month on my mobile and don't live in anyone's LLU unbundled area so any of the "free" broadband deals would cost me much more than Namesco.

Let's hope I get another problem free Namesco year....
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think they've been very good as well - total cost on renewal is less than 40p a day, even half price for the unknown isn't worth it to me. Mind you, I'll probably go for the monthly option as it's the same price...
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The monthly option INCLUDING VAT is £11.95

The annual option INCLUDING VAT is the equivalent of £10.95/month
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Rats, the barstewards, back to e7even for me then...
  • mk-donald
    mk-donald Posts: 750 Forumite
    Options
    Seems like people are getting inconsistent stories/options from Namesco, who as everyone says otherwise have a reputation as reliable and reasonable to deal with (by comparison with most anyway).

A friend signed up to that megadeal a year ago ie just 512Kb but v cheap - ie his year is due up 28/8/7

He was msg'd that he'd be moved to 2Mb at £14.xx/m at the end of the year, however they would waive the c£40 'upgrade' from 512Kb to 2Mb.

Seems to be in a bit of a catch 22 situation...

* So if he DOESNT cancel then expensive deal for next year ££ (he's expecting to move to 'free' Orange broadband as spending £30+/m on their mobile anyway

* He's given 30 days notice to end 28/8 BUT now been told disconnect = £40+ (ie the new BT fee they charge providers for removing, since May 2007, which is a fee that was NEVER part of the deal - ie to me = UNFAIR CONTRACT TERM, just like mortgage providers suddenly putting their exit fee up from £100 to £1000)

* If he NOW asks for a MAC (and uses it before 28/8 contract end) then he's "terminating early within the 12m contract" so subject to £60 charge for staying less than a year ?

That's his current understanding. He's clearly gotta resolve this with Namesco at the weekend when he's got time, but anyone else clarified all this yet ?

To me the obvious answer is
    - Namesco have been paid to 28/8 so if he stays/leaves to then = so what
    - Namesco will suffer a £40+ charge by BT OpenReach *if* ADSL has to be disconnected at 28/8
    - Namesco should NOT be able to retrospectively add that £40 fee as a levy on my friend
    - Namesco would suffer NO financial cost IF they issue a MAC
    = Namesco issue a MAC free to him that he uses sufficiently prior to 28/8 to enable migration
    = Everyone happy/not out of pocket
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport