NAMESCO Renewal

Options
I was one of the many on this board that jumped into broadband with Namesco's "free broadband offer which cost £60 for a year offering a modem, connection, and 512K broadband last summer.

I have been very impressed with the service, absolutely no problems and 2GB limit and 512K speed is perfectly sufficient for my needs.

I'm tempted to renew (£10.95/month) but this goes against my best money saving instincts!! Are there any alternatives that would save serious money? It doesn't seem worth messing around for a few pence. I spend next to nothing on mobile/phone calls/pay TV so any bundled packages are no use to me, I'm not in anyone's LLU area so can't get some of the cheapest deals anyway.

Breathe's £9.99 deal seems one of the few that is available, but there is a £49.99 transfer fee.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• tweeter
    tweeter Posts: 3,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I signed up for the same deal.They want 112 quid for another year.Taking it over two years its about 7.16 quid a month so I'm staying put.
    Peel back your baby's eyelid to find no nationality or religious identity mark there. Peer at your baby's eyes for them to reflect back just people-throw away your flags and religious symbols...

• W1zz
    W1zz Posts: 620 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    tweeter wrote: »
    I signed up for the same deal.They want 112 quid for another year.Taking it over two years its about 7.16 quid a month so I'm staying put.

Was this an email offer?

I signed my dad up to Namesco last August on the £60 for the year deal. It's been faultless and if they're offering £112 for another 2 years then that would be perfect for him.

Like you say, 512kb is all some people need. TBH, I'm on 10mb and for just general web surfing, there ain't that much noticable speed difference between 512kb and 10mb.
  • tweeter
    First Anniversary
    Options
    112 quid for the next year, so add in this year's 60 quid deal and together it works out about 7.16 a month.The deal is posted in your dad's account if you look for it.
    I haven't got a pound sign on this keyboard yet.
    Peel back your baby's eyelid to find no nationality or religious identity mark there. Peer at your baby's eyes for them to reflect back just people-throw away your flags and religious symbols...

• Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,734 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well, I have not renewed yet and they have cancelled the renewal notice in place for a monthyl renewal - but the price has been upped by £1 to £11.95 per month. That's now almost £2/month more than Breathe's 512K broadband. Is it worth switching?
  • tweeter
    First Anniversary
    Options
    They have changed it in my account to £10.17 / mth, which is £122.04 a year. I should have paid it when it was about £112 for the year instead of waiting nearer the day.Doh!

• W1zz
    Options
    I'm now switching my Dads from NamesCo, which runs out this month to Sky Broadband - For the base broadband package it's a £40 activation fee but then NO/FREE monthly subscription. Up to 2mb speed and 2gb monthly allowance.

Already requested MAC code.
  • BritBrat
    BritBrat Posts: 3,764 Forumite
    Options
    I haven't got a pound sign on this keyboard yet.

You do not need one. Try typing numbers while pressing the ALt key.

ALT+0163 = £
  • tweeter
    First Anniversary
    Options
    BritBrat, I tried to do it and a smilie showed up, though not in colour. It is slightly wobbley looking.

Experimenting further produces black smilies, the Ace of Spades/Hearts/Diamonds and Clubs.Hmm, interesting what's lurking around on this keyboard.

• tigerman
    tigerman Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    My renewal runs out 2nd of aug moving on, when is the best time to ask for mac without incurring costs.
  • W1zz
    Options
    tigerman wrote: »
    My renewal runs out 2nd of aug moving on, when is the best time to ask for mac without incurring costs.

My dads NamesCo contract was due to end 10/08/07 and I submitted a request for the MAC code on 26/06/07. When I realised I'd requested it more than 30 days before the contract was up, I emailed them asking what costs I'd incure.

This was their answer:
    Thank you for your enquiry.

Please be advise that we have received your MAC Code request. As you are looking to migrate away before your 12 months service has been completed, no cancellation fee's apply to your account as you have paid for your service annually. The only fee that will apply is the 30 days notice fee.

So the only charge will be the 30 days notice fee which is £20 (NamesCo Pricelist)

I recieved an email today from NamesCo with my MAC code (see below)
    Please be sure to pass the MAC on to your new provider and request that they
    migrate your ADSL over before your next bill date with Namesco, which is
    10/08/2007.

We will remove your ADSL package from your account once BT have confirmed
    that your migration away from Namesco has completed.

PLEASE NOTE: If you do not use your MAC code within 30 days of issue then
    your ADSL service will remain active with Namesco and you will continue to
    be billed your monthly renewals.

So in short, it will only cost £20 to leave + £40 activation with Sky (Sky also provide free wireless ADSL router). The package we had with NamesCo was the £60 for the year, due to end 10/08/2007.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure