Forum Home» Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning» Flights, Currency & Car Hire

MSE News: Ryanair to charge £5 to pick a seat as it ends free-for-all - Page 4

New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: Ryanair to charge £5 to pick a seat as it ends free-for-all

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Flights, Currency & Car Hire
62 replies 6.6K views
12467

Replies

  • dlawrockdlawrock Forumite
    13 posts
    Hi again just realised my previous post is wrong in that the £70 fee will only be charged if you haven't managed to check-in online while you're away. If you CAN do this online but haven't got a printer, then they ONLY charge £15 to print your boarding pass at the airport. So it's still risky if you're unsure of internet access while you're away anyway.
  • edited 10 April 2014 at 9:17AM
    steve1500steve1500 Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    edited 10 April 2014 at 9:17AM
    melanzana wrote: »
    Lol I'm sure some would!

    But TBH, I think they might disperse families who haven't pre booked a seat. If they don't, they won't be seated together!

    Then the next time, they will pay the fiver a seat!


    Re the children this is from the CAA

    Young children and infants who are accompanied by adults, should ideally be seated in the same seat row as the adult. Children and accompanying adults should not be separated by more than one aisle. Where this is not possible, children should be separated by no more than one seat row from accompanying adults. This is because the speed of an emergency evacuation may be affected by adults trying to reach their children

    http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=2207&pageid=12706
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA :D
  • lor6126lor6126 Forumite
    220 posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Iv just went to check in for my ryanair flight on 30th April to Benidorm, No problems with outward flight as its only three days away.
    allocated a row of seats for the party and one across the aisle.

    The return flight, on 8th may is a different matter, i cannot check in for it as it is more than seven days away unless i buy a seat. So i have to either take the chance i can find an internet cafe with printer in Benidorm once i am within seven days of flight, not what i really want to be doing on holiday, or pay £20 for seats just so i can get our boarding cards.

    And three quarters of the plane was showing as booked so they are getting away with it.
  • antennaantenna Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    78 internet cafes in benidorm.......and they all speak english........simples.
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
  • zaksmumzaksmum Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you don't pay the seat allocation charge, at what point are you notified of your seat number?

    Is it when you check in, or at the airport?
  • CCFC_80CCFC_80 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    zaksmum wrote: »
    If you don't pay the seat allocation charge, at what point are you notified of your seat number?

    Is it when you check in, or at the airport?

    When you check in online, your seat number should be allocated.

    Also just noticed if by any remote chance you can't find an internet cafe with a printer then Ryanairs charges for printing out boarding passes at the airport are £15.00 each.
  • zaksmumzaksmum Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    CCFC_80 wrote: »
    When you check in online, your seat number should be allocated.

    Also just noticed if by any remote chance you can't find an internet cafe with a printer then Ryanairs charges for printing out boarding passes at the airport are £15.00 each.

    They are ripping off passengers as much as possible now, aren't they?

    A friend has just paid their seat allocation charge and checked in online. She says they now do not ask any security questions.

    Am I right in thinking they used to?

    Surely the security questions are legally required?
  • CCFC_80CCFC_80 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    zaksmum wrote: »
    They are ripping off passengers as much as possible now, aren't they?

    A friend has just paid their seat allocation charge and checked in online. She says they now do not ask any security questions.

    Am I right in thinking they used to?

    Surely the security questions are legally required?

    Not entirely sure, what you mean. You have 3 options to check in by either entering, Your flight booking reference number, Your debit/credit card number or your email address that you made the booking on. No-one else should really have access to these. Are you saying this isn't secure enough as someone else would still need to get hold of your passport to get on the flight?
  • zaksmumzaksmum Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    CCFC_80 wrote: »
    Not entirely sure, what you mean. You have 3 options to check in by either entering, Your flight booking reference number, Your debit/credit card number or your email address that you made the booking on. No-one else should really have access to these. Are you saying this isn't secure enough as someone else would still need to get hold of your passport to get on the flight?

    No, I mean didn't they used to ask if you had packed the bag yourself etc. in a series of questions - you had to tick the box to indicate yes to each one?
  • CCFC_80CCFC_80 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    zaksmum wrote: »
    No, I mean didn't they used to ask if you had packed the bag yourself etc. in a series of questions - you had to tick the box to indicate yes to each one?

    No I don't think so, they would obviously ask you that if you were checking in a suitcase at airport.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support