MSE News: Ryanair to charge £5 to pick a seat as it ends free-for-all - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: Ryanair to charge £5 to pick a seat as it ends free-for-all

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Flights, Currency & Car Hire
62 replies 6.6K views

Replies

• melanzanamelanzana Forumite
    4K posts
    Eighth Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ellie3009 wrote: »
    For some bookings presumably they will HAVE to allocated together regardless of payement - they can hardly sit parents at the other end of the plane from their screaming 4 year old...
    Although sometimes the parents might prefer it ;)

Lol I'm sure some would!

But TBH, I think they might disperse families who haven't pre booked a seat. If they don't, they won't be seated together!

Then the next time, they will pay the fiver a seat!
  • melanzana wrote: »
    If its a short trip who cares?

I cannot understand the desire for a window seat. As soon as you sit down you need to have a P. and disturb everyone.

And all you can see are the clouds!

Maybe it's something to do with being able to fall asleep with your noggin facing the window so no one sees your drools. I dunno.

I don't mind what seat I'm in. I must be so happy To be travelling at all!

We are privileged. And maybe it's a competition as to who gets what.....

Daft.

Someone has to get the middle seat!

If it's such a shirt trip why do you need a p?

In any case, you might think that all you can see is clouds, and perhaps you have flown so few times en route to Benidorm that maybe your statement is true.

But from the windows of aircraft I have seen the Northern lights over Canada, Mt Everest and the Himalayas over Nepal, the sky lines of New York, San Francisco, Hong Kong, Singapore, Dubai and countless Robinson Crusoe esque Islands. I've seen light fishing off the seas of Japan and forest fires in California.

One particularly interesting view was the Great Wall of China as we descended into Beijing and I remember flying over the UK on bonfire night and seeing the sky peppered with fireworks beneath us.

...you probably find this hard to believe since all you've likely seen is the guy sat next to you and the eats en route for a p ;)
  • NFHNFH Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Mr_Wang wrote: »
    If it's such a shirt trip why do you need a p?
    Some of us visit a lounge before every flight and avail ourselves of the unlimited booze. If it's a particularly good lounge, for example one of a flag carrier in its home country, one might arrive extra-early to make the most of it.
  • NFH wrote: »
    Some of us visit a lounge before every flight and avail ourselves of the unlimited booze. If it's a particularly good lounge, for example one of a flag carrier in its home country, one might arrive extra-early to make the most of it.

Some of us fly that frequently that if we drank to excess in a lounge every time we flew we would have issues ;)

...added to the fact that a huge proportion of airports in Asia don't have a lounge and problems arise for those who can't avoid alcohol for short periods.
  • harz99harz99 Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dave_save wrote: »
    As long as I get a seat that's not next to an obese unwashed person, I really don't mind. However, I've managed to avoid Ryanair for a few years now, my own personal protest against O'Leary's constant revenue raising schemes.

As have I; this has just added another reason to avoid Ryanair.
  • PincherPincher
    6.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Diabetics need to go to the loo more.
  • KTFKTF Forumite
    4.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pincher wrote: »
    Diabetics need to go to the loo more.
    And this is relevant because?
  • NFHNFH Forumite
    4.4K posts
    KTF wrote: »
    And this is relevant because?
    I think Pincher was giving, in response to the comment in post 23, an example of people who need to go to the loo more often through no fault of their own, unlike my reason in post 24 which is entirely through my own fault.
  • buglawtonbuglawton Forumite
    9.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    melanzana wrote: »
    You will be assigned a seat. No worries. But if you are travelling with your children and maybe elderly relatives, you might like to ensure you are together.

Most, including myself couldn't care less, but will be happy that I know I have a seat assigned!

Right, so when 100% of passengers decide not to pay the £5, everyone will be booked into the centre seat of the 3 and the others will remain empty? ;)
  • dlawrockdlawrock Forumite
    13 posts
    A while since there was a post here, but I've just found that if you DON'T want to pay the fiver for a seat, the online check-in window is between 7 days and 2 hours prior to the flight. Not handy at all for the return flight if you're away for anything over a week without access to a printer, but I expect O'Leary's got fingers crossed we'll try our luck and fail. Then dear reader, the charge at the return airport to check in will be .... I kid you not .... £70!!!

This effectively means for my 10 day jaunt soon, I'll be obliged to do the return flight check-in at home, with a £5 seat reservation, to avoid this risk. Which is also what the lovely Mr O'Leary wants.

So Ryanair have once again smuggled in a hidden extra via the back door. Plus ca change... Ironic :T Ryanair!
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support