Upgrading PS3

Options
As I understand it I have to put all my current data on an external hard drive, then replace the SATA hard drive with my new one, then transfer the data from the external drive to the newly installed one.

Question: why do I need to use an external hard drive why can't I just connect my original SATA hard drive to my ps3 via USB and transfer the data to it?
Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

Comments

• Tropez
    Tropez Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    Options
    I don't have a PS3 but my first thought would be that a SATA HDD doesn't have a USB connection so how would you be planning on connecting it to the PS3 by USB? Through an External disc cage or something?
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Answer - because nothing except your PS3 can actually read the contents of the drive - it's encrypted to your individual PS3 for security. So you have to copy the data off, it gets unencrypted on the way out, then when you copy it back on, it's encrypted again.
  • theforumking
    Options
    the best way to upgrade a PS3 is to throw it in the bin and get a PS4 ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure