ADSL broadband line drops out - is fibre optic better?

Options

Comments

• Fruit_and_Nut_Case
    Options
    penrhyn wrote: »
    Agreed, now watching that Mitchell and Webb thing, laugh count currently zero.
    Will_d wrote: »
    And agreed, Mitchell and Webb are s***.
    But David Mitchell is married to Victoria Coren and we're not. Lucky b******. :(
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Indeed, one impressive lady. Always gives Ian Hislop a good run on HIGNFY.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    It seems as though the noise margin hasn't deteriorated.
    They way this works is that your line will have a default noise margin set for it. When the router syncs it will be at a rate that leaves that default margin. As noise conditions alter (typically there is more after dark as MW radio is the same frequency range and the signal levels increase after dark) the noise margin left will vary - lot of noise pick the margin falls and vice versa. If the local noise rises too far the margin will fall to the point where the router cannot hold sync. After such a resync it will still have the default margin but the speed will be slower. If the local noise fall the syn stays the same but you see a higher noise margin.
  • Will_d
    Will_d Posts: 69 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    kwikbreaks wrote: »
    They way this works is that your line will have a default noise margin set for it. When the router syncs it will be at a rate that leaves that default margin. As noise conditions alter (typically there is more after dark as MW radio is the same frequency range and the signal levels increase after dark) the noise margin left will vary - lot of noise pick the margin falls and vice versa. If the local noise rises too far the margin will fall to the point where the router cannot hold sync. After such a resync it will still have the default margin but the speed will be slower. If the local noise fall the syn stays the same but you see a higher noise margin.

I've been out all day so I haven't been able to monitor the noise margin, but I'll bear this explanation in mind over the next few days to see if there's a change. Thanks.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you changed the filters yet?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    More to the point have you tried calling home from a mobile to see if it is still dropping out. If not fine if it does try the filter swap. I doubt that just taking the master out of its housing and putting it back is going to fix anything - bust it yes but fix it unlikely.
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    Options
    Apologies for not posting the pictures last night - waylaid with work.

I attempted to do it this morning with Photobucket, but the forum's still preventing me, lest I start 'spamming' other forumites. Still, I had another look behind the faceplate and couldn't see a master port.

However, since removing and replacing the faceplate the other day, the internet connection hasn't suffered a single drop-out. Methinks a loose or faulty wire could be to blame.

I don't understand why you haven't posted your pictures - it is very easy if you follow my instructions above using https://www.tinypic.com

I can't see that this is a filter problem, more likely simply a loose connection on your master socket that you have now temporarily corrected by removing the face plate.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • Will_d
    Options
    The filters haven't arrived in the post yet, and I haven't had chance to go the shops to buy some.

I just called the landline with a my mobile, but no drop-out.

It is bizarre that after resetting the modem and then looking behind the socket faceplate several days ago, there's been very little connection disruption. Nay, none.

Still, I'm not presuming that the problem is fixed - the filters will be changed. But it's curious to say the least.
  • Will_d
    edited 2 November 2013 at 3:05PM
    Options
    Take two...

[IMG][/img]IMG_0858_zps033daf6b.jpg

IMG_0863_zpsd2a8ff79.jpg
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    Options
    You should check that the Blue/White on 2 and the White/Blue on 5 are connected securely and remove the Orange/White from 3 which is redundant. Note that the conductor inside the PVC insulation is a single core tinned copper wire, which can sometimes break at the point of connection to the socket terminal.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure