ADSL broadband line drops out - is fibre optic better?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
48 replies 3.3K views
Will_dWill_d Forumite
67 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
All things considered, Sky Broadband (ADSL) Unlimited is pretty reliable. Its speed is adequate for my needs and, most of the time, the connection remains constant.

However, despite my having bought a WiFi extender, the ADSL line has begun to drop out with infuriating regularity. Resetting the primary modem doesn't work. Repositioning it doesn't work. Blaspheming it doesn't work.

So the near-daily glitch originates either from the an external source or the modem itself.

Having never experienced the dizzying, white-knuckle velocity of fibre optic broadband, and having implicit faith in the wisdom of Money Saving Forumites, can anybody out there tell me if upgrading would solve my problem?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• kwikbreakskwikbreaks Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why have you mentioned WiFi?

Is it the ADSL connection dropping or the WiFi?
  • edited 30 October 2013 at 3:25PM
    zaaxzaax Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    edited 30 October 2013 at 3:25PM
    Lets work out what the actual problem is.

1. Is your anti-virus up-to-date and running?
    2. Is your windows up-to-date.
    3. Have you run a cleaning program like Ccleaner recently?
    4. You’re not running VISTA

Do you get drop outs when plugged directly into the modem?
    Have you got a dimmable LED light bulb?
    Have you changed the channel the modem is on?
    Have you tried placing a baking tray behind the modem so more of the signal goes into your house and not across the road?

How many bars do you get on icon in the notifcation area?
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    48.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FFTC will not make any difference to the signal within the property, since the fibre connection ends at the street cab. From there to your house is the same old copper pair.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Will_dWill_d Forumite
    67 Posts
    Thanks for the responses.

I just mentioned Wifi in case anybody suggested it as a potential causal factor (we've established that it's not).

• The anti-virus software is up to date - I keep on top of that.
    • I'm using Windows 7.
    • I'm 99% sure, through all the software maintenance I carry out on the computer, that it's clean of infections.
    • The modem channel is always the same - moving has caused hours-long internet blackouts in the past.
    • The modem is plugged into a smart TV, so all other devices connect via Wifi. I'm not sure the computer is behind the drop-outs, as the TV is also being impacted by the frequent ADSL disruptions.
    • I don't think I have any dimmable LED lights. The lights on the modem don't seem to vary in brightness.
    • On a good day, the primary modem's signal strength shows 4/5 bars (as detected on the computer), though it's often just three.
    • Does placing a baking tray behind the modem work? I've never tried it, but I will.

When the modem works as it should, it displays three solid green lights (four if the TV's in use). In the event of a drop-out, that number reduces to two, followed by the appearance of a flashing orange light prior to the eventual return of a third solid green light.

Yet of late, it's been alternating between two greens and green-green-orange. Normal service can take up to half an hour to resume.

Could this be down to a faulty wire or filter? I've inspected all the equipment, ensured everything is connected properly, but still the problem persists.

Much obliged.
  • zaaxzaax Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it should go yellow - ring Sky faults if you have a sky phone dial 151 - i think

Sky forum is here http://helpforum.sky.com/
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
  • penrhynpenrhyn Forumite
    15.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi OP, post your detailed router line statistics.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • Will_dWill_d Forumite
    67 Posts
    Many thanks everyone for your helpful advice.

I've contacted Sky and they're sending out a new filter and cable, which may or may not yield a resolution. We'll see.

I'm not sure what the router line statistics are (and I'm not sure where to find them!). Sky told me the line itself was clear, but nearly every time the landline receives a call, the internet goes down. Thus, I'm not sure what to make of the line's clarity. Then again, I'm not an expert.

I did spot one thing: I can view an automatically-updating connection status page. In turn, it reads 'Up' (connected'); 'ADSL Link Down' (disconnected); 'ADSL Training' (in the process of connecting?); and sometimes 'PPP Server Down' (no idea).

The enigma lives on...
  • penrhynpenrhyn Forumite
    15.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, you need to do some basic stuff.

Click on. 192.168.0.1

That's your router, you will need to log on user is admin, password is sky.

AShow statistics button is at the bottom of the page. Post the results. All this stuff is in the router handbook.

BTW, Check you have filters on all your extensios including the Sky TV box
  • edited 30 October 2013 at 7:30PM
    penrhynpenrhyn Forumite
    15.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 October 2013 at 7:30PM
    , you need to do some basic stuff.

Click on http://192.168.0.1/sky_index.html

That's your router, you will need to log on user is admin, password is sky.

AShow statistics button is at the bottom of the page. Post the results. All this stuff is in the router handbook.

BTW, Check you have filters on all your extensios including the Sky TV box
  • Will_dWill_d Forumite
    67 Posts
    Cheers for that.

I hope these stats appear on the page in an intelligible format (they won't let me post the image or link thereto)...

ystem Up Time: 8:22:24
    Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
    WAN PPPoA 43966 54186 0 2968 132 0:57:34
    LAN 1428 732 0 0 0 8:22:24
    WLAN 415344 352896 0 282 3442 3:15:14
    ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 4740 kbps 566 kbps
    Line Attenuation 24.5 db 12.9 db
    Noise Margin 8.1 db 7.1 db
    Poll Interval: (secs) Set Interval Stop
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides