Question about changing from BT to TalkTalk

2»

Comments

• olias
    olias Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    Thanks for the advice about sniping. The ebay item was a suite for my mum and dad, but they bottled out at the last minute and decided they wouldn't have it - parents hmmm.

Well I am still posting this on BT, so don't know when it'll switch.

Olias
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    With the useless shower that is Openreach in the driving seat that should probably be an IF it'll switch. As this is going to be a switch to LLU there will be a short outage. If it was from one BT based ISP to another you'd need to reboot to see the change as both will work for a short time.
  • olias
    Silly question all, but how will I know when I have switched? It is now 6pm and I am still using my BT router. Apparently I can continue to use my BT email (not that I do anyway) for another 30 days, so I can't use that as a measure of whether the switch has taken place. So how do I know? Do I need to use the new TalkTalk router or can I carry on and access TalkTalk with my existing BT router?

Olias
  • Gary1963
    Gary1963 Posts: 287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    When I switched I had no down time at all. I just unplugged the BT router and plugged in the one from TT and off I went.
  • olias
    So you were accessing Talk Talk through your BT router initially and just plugged in your new TT router as it was, well, new?

Olias
  • Gary1963
    Gary1963 Posts: 287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    olias wrote: »
    So you were accessing Talk Talk through your BT router initially and just plugged in your new TT router as it was, well, new?

Olias

That's how it appeared to me. Literally unplugged one and plugged in the other. Obviously had to change security key etc.
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    There would have been a short outage but you didn't notice. At the exchange there is the equivalent of a filter and the ADSL pair connect to the ISP equipment. When it moves the Openreach technician disconnects your ADSL pair from the BT kit to TalkTalk's.

With BT based ISPs your login tells the BT network which ISP PoP to connect you to. With LLU there is no decision to make so some don't use a login - obviously TalTalk can't if your BT router with the BT login carried on working after the swap.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure