Question about changing from BT to TalkTalk

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
17 replies 1.2K views
oliasolias Forumite
3.6K Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
Hi all,
Am changing from BT to TalkTalk for phone and broadband. The change is scheduled for tomorrow. I've been told by Talk Talk that internet from them will go live anytime up till midnight tomorrow, and then take a few days to settle down to a regular speed.

BT, however haven't said in their acknowledgement of the change, when their broadband will be cut off - ie what time during the day. Does anyone who has changed have any knowledge of when its likely to cut off?

The reason I ask, is (s0ds law!) I've just seen something I really want to bid for on ebay, and the auction finishes about 10am tomorrow!
Thanks

Olias

Replies

• BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    48.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    can be anytime during the day , depends when the BT Openreach person gets the work , so from 7.30 am ish
    Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.[
  • WTFHWTFH Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    olias wrote: »
    The reason I ask, is (s0ds law!) I've just seen something I really want to bid for on ebay, and the auction finishes about 10am tomorrow!

Well, if you "really" want it, then bid for it before 7.30am tomorrow, or use a sniping tool.

It may be unheard of on here, but it is possible to put a bid in before the minute and still win without paying too much.

But it's your call. How much do you NEED the item? Will there ever be another one of them for sale? What is the most you would pay for it?
    Cause if you need it, and there won't be another one for sale for a long time, and you know the maximum amount you would pay, then bid that amount. If you win it, you win it for the price you end up paying. If you don't win it, well, you wouldn't have won it anyway, because it went for more than your budget.
    1. Have you tried to Google the answer?
    2. If you were in the other person's shoes, how would you react?
    3. Do you want a quick answer or better understanding?
  • I migrated from O2 to TalkTalk earlier this year. My internet was down for no more than 15 mins which I believe is the time it took OR engineer to disconnect my cable from the O2 BB and BT Phone equipment to the TalkTalk equipment at the exchange. All done by 9.30am.

Sorry just read the bit about eBay so my reply may not be much use.
  • oliasolias Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I actually rang the BT dedicated helpline for switching to clarify, and could not believe the attitude of the 'customer service' person I spoke to :mad:.

They started off asking why I was switching. I said I really didn't want to discuss that, I just wanted an answer to my query. They then started arguing aggresively, stating that there must be a reason, and what was it? They then proceded to badmouth TalkTalk and quote all the problems she claimed people had had with them. She then said that TalkTalk should have given me the information and they weren't much good if they hadn't.

I couldn't believe it, and just said to her that I did not want to talk about any of this, and if she couldn't just answer a simple query civily then I would go, and I hung up.

I have rarely ever been spoken to so rudely by a so called 'customer service' employee.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Olias
  • WTFHWTFH Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's cause the number you phoned was for people wanting to switch to BT, not for people leaving.
    It's like you've phoned Waitrose to ask when the Tesco delivery is coming.

She was correct, though. TalkTalk are the ones who should be giving you the information, because they are the ones who will be organising for the Openreach engineer to go out and do the work.
  • oliasolias Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    No I'm sorry, you are wrong, the number I rang was, and I quote from BTs letter to me....'A special team to help customers leaving BT. Make sure you use this number'

I am sure you are right in what you say about the switch, but she could have just politely said, 'TalkTalk are the ones who should be giving you the information, because they are the ones who will be organising for the Openreach engineer to go out and do the work.'She was very, very rude and unhelpful.

Olias
  • WTFHWTFH Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    No I'm sorry, you are wrong, the number I rang was, and I quote from BTs letter to me....'A special team to help customers leaving BT. Make sure you use this number'

Ah, sorry. When you said it was the dedicated helpline, I thought it was the number they give out to entice people to sign up.
  • oliasolias Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well I've noticed the difference already! I rang talk talk to query something, and although it was an indian call cantre, the man was not heavily accented, was polite, courteous and efficient and couldn't have been more helpful - BT take note!

Olias
  • kwikbreakskwikbreaks Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    'A special team to help customers leaving BT. Make sure you use this number'
    Most companies call those departments "RETENTIONS" it is their job to stop people leaving - often by offering discounts or other incentives such as "free" extras.

Nobody is going to be able to give you an exact time as it will just be an item in an Openreach job list for the day. If it's anything like my fibre install they may not even bother to do it but the chances are it will get done.

If you are desperate for the eBay item use a sniping site. They will need your eBay user and password so a degree of trust is needed. I've used http://www.auctionstealer.com/home.cfm for years with no issues. Decide what you are prepared to pay and set your snipe at that. The service will put in a bid for that amount a few seconds before the auction ends.
  • WTFHWTFH Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Given that the switchover was due to take place today and the OP was posting at 10:15am today, then either it happened before then, or hasn't happened yet.

I wonder if they got that once-in-a-lifetime eBay item?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals