IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Liverpool Airport - Parking Charge Notice

Options
I've received a Parking Charge Notice from VCS at Liverpool Airport. The notice is similar to one published in another thread on here and features 3 photos, one of which is of my car's registration number. I don't want to discuss the other 2 photos because they may identify who I am. VCS try to charge me £60 if I pay within 14 days and £100 if I leave it later. The notice says 'The reason for the contravention is: Stopping on a roadway where stopping is prohibited'.

I went to the airport to pick up a friend from Italy but his flight was delayed. I actually drove into the pick up point, which is free for 5 minutes, but my friend was stuck in the airport so to avoid a charge I drove out again. There are notices at the pick up point saying circulating isn't allowed so I didn't return and told my friend by phone to walk out of the airport. When he was ready I picked him up by stopping on the main dual carriageway that leaves the airport just after the roundabout. Having read a few of the threads on here I've picked up a few of the themes involved. I can honestly say I never saw any signs driving into the airport but it was dark and the signs are unlit so it's not surprising, is it? There was actually a sign right in front of where I stopped the car but, again, I didn't see it.

I hate all this stuff and have no intention of paying. I took some verbal advice off a friend to ignore the notice but you don't advise that on here and I'd like to take on VCS and Liverpool Airport for that matter. Does anybody know who I should write to at the airport to complain? I've used Liverpool Airport many times over the years and they've had plenty of money out of me. It annoys the hell out of me that they align themselves with a cowboy operation like this.

I've prepared a 'soft appeal' to VCS as advised elsewhere, copied from another thread and altered a little. -

Dear Sir / Madam

I am writing to you regarding parking charge notice ******** issued tovehicle ****** on **/**/2013.

I would like to draw your attention to the fact that the signage supposedlybearing the contract to access to the "privately operated accessroads" at Liverpool John Lennon Airport does not have any terms & conditions on it. It isalso not readable from a moving vehicle, and so not compliant with the BPA Codeof Practice. As well as this your notice relates to an arrival at Liverpool Airport after dark making itdoubly impossible to read your so-called signs.

Your charge is punitive, unjustifiable and unenforceable. I require you toeither cancel the charge forthwith or provide me with a POPLA code so that Ican refer the matter to POPLA.

If you reject this challenge the keeper requires within 35 days a POPLAverification code to appeal independently, per Version 3 of the BPA Code ofPractice.

The keeper has nothing further to add, and will not respond to anycorrespondence from your company unless it contains the POPLA code.

The challenge will be deemed accepted if there is no POPLA code on anyrejection that you supply within the time-frame stipulated above.

Regards

Name.

I think this is OK by the looks of it but I'd appreciate some reassurance that it is and any additional advice. Thanks.:)

Comments

• ste2326
    Options
    i sometimes have to give out these fines in my job not always to long to explain you people think we just make these things up they are proven by cctv which is logged in nearly all cases and at that airport i bet there is cctv everywhere well i no it is and a hole host of other things happen before a ticket is written out to prove the fine my company<which recives just 4% of the fines we give out> has a 98% collection rate so good luck with that one. and no i dont work for the company you mentioned.the places you park are private land dont break there laws u wont get a fine keep dragging it along sooner or later its the car they will be taking
  • esmerobbo
    esmerobbo Posts: 4,979 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ste2326 wrote: »
    i sometimes have to give out these fines in my job not always to long to explain you people think we just make these things up they are proven by cctv which is logged in nearly all cases and at that airport i bet there is cctv everywhere well i no it is and a hole host of other things happen before a ticket is written out to prove the fine my company<which recives just 4% of the fines we give out> has a 98% collection rate so good luck with that one. and no i dont work for the company you mentioned.the places you park are private land dont break there laws u wont get a fine keep dragging it along sooner or later its the car they will be taking

So you are a Judge or a Magistrate? As they are the only people who can "FINE" you.

The rest of your post is nonsense not worth commenting on!

OP ignore post #2

Last couple of these I have seen VCS never offered any evidence at POPLA.
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I am glad to see that ste2326 is maintaining the good standard of spelling and grammar we usually get from PPC trolls. Perhaps with that level of education that's the only job they can get?
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • Stroma
    Stroma Posts: 7,971 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Please ignore the drivel in post #2 !

That is fine what you are saying just post it off with a proof of postage from the post office, and back it up with an online appeal. Then just wait for your rejection, and then come back here.
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    We don't need the following to help you.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
    :beer: Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member :beer:
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Stroma wrote: »
    Please ignore the drivel in post #2 !

That is fine what you are saying just post it off with a proof of postage from the post office, and back it up with an online appeal. Then just wait for your rejection, and then come back here.

I would encourage ste2326 to continue to contribute on here and ask regulars to be polite with him. I am, for example, interested in the 4% point he's making.

I am sure that people on here will be able to assess the advice that he gives in his inimitable style and to have the views of the other side presented so clearly and eloquently can do little harm. ;)
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,075 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

With a post like this I doubt you even know what % means let alone be able to work it out:rotfl:
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,408 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Does anybody know who I should write to at the airport to complain? I've used Liverpool Airport many times over the years and they've had plenty of money out of me. It annoys the hell out of me that they align themselves with a cowboy operation like this.

You should be able to find a name by Googling - is this one of the Airports owned by Peel Holdings?

Airport land is also not 'relevant land' under POFA 2012 so no registered keeper liability applies (due to byelaws applying instead).

Your draft appeal is fine, send it off unless you want to add a bit about 'not relevant land' and 'you have made no loss as a result of the alleged incident'.

As for 'ste2326'...words fail me as we have to be nice to all moneysavers!!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,793 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    You should be able to find a name by Googling - is this one of the Airports owned by Peel Holdings?
    JLA is owned by Peel Holdings. VCS pay £20K per annum for the right to scam motorists
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Airport land is also not 'relevant land' under POFA 2012 so no registered keeper liability applies (due to byelaws applying instead).
    Even more importantly POFA 2012 & potential keeper liability only applies to parking charges. A £100 charge for 'Stopping on a roadway where stopping is prohibited' is not by any stretch of the imagination a parking charge.

It's fraud for VCS to try & pretend that POFA & thus keeper liability applies in this case for the above reasons. You should be making a complaint to Trading Standards.
  • EddieMetal
    Options
    Thank you to all who have replied. I appreciate it. :T
    Your draft appeal is fine, send it off unless you want to add a bit about 'not
    relevant land' and 'you have made no loss as a result of the alleged incident'.

So paragraph 2 of my soft appeal will now read - 'Airport land is also not 'relevant land' under the Protection Of Freedom’s Act2012 so no registered keeper liability applies and you have made no loss as a resultof the alleged incident making your charge punitive, unjustifiable andunenforceable. I require you to either cancel the charge forthwith or provideme with a POPLA code so that I can refer the matter to POPLA.'

Is this OK?

As far as ste2326's post is concerned: Your message has little or nothing to do with what I've written and is more a general gripe at this section of the forum. As I understand it the etiquette is for Newbies, as we are called, is to start their own thread and not hijack somebody else's. So why don't you do that instead of messing up my thread? I wonder if you are brave enough? Of course, it might also help if you enlist the help of a spell check so you can be understood. And your veiled threat to my car just reveals your caliber and that of your employers. :cool:
  • Trebor16
    Trebor16 Posts: 3,061 Forumite
    Options
    .the places you park are private land dont break there laws u wont get a fine keep dragging it along sooner or later its the car they will be taking

What laws would they be?
    "You should know not to believe everything in media & polls by now !"

John539 2-12-14 Post 15030
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills