Do not use sainsburys online for groceries!!!

Options
LolitaLove
LolitaLove Posts: 273 Forumite
edited 24 October 2013 at 11:23AM in Food shopping & groceries
Did a first time shop with Sainsburys today after being tempted by a £15 off for new customers voucher.

I'm absolutely fuming. I've tried Tesco, Asda, and even Ocado/Waitrose and always been happy. Tesco and Asda have policies where they will substitute an out of stock/unavailable item for the same cost as the original item ordered. This has always worked well for me and I've always looked forward to maybe having Tesco finest substituted for tesco basics :P

I ordered from Sainsburys and they DO NOT do this. If they substitute they charge you for the cost of the higher item.

I would never usually shop at Sainsburys as they are by far the most expensive and have very little choice. When my shopping was delivered a large amount of items were unavailable and had been substituted with items that were double the cost of what I'd ordered. Items that I'd ordered that were part of a deal (eg meat 3 for £10) were unavailable, meaning that the 3 for £10 deal was invalidated and I was charged full price for the overpriced items I'd only purchased because of the deal. AND to top it all off, once I'd handed back the items I didn't want my £15 off voucher was IVALID (because the total cost was less than £60). So the only reason I did the shop in the first place taken away. I am SO gutted. I've ended up with £40 worth of overpriced groceries and I'll STILL have to go and do a shop later to replace what I had to hand back . AND TO TOP IT ALL OF I'VE PAID £5.99 DELIVERY for the privilege:P

Please do not EVER shop at Sainsburys online if you value money!!

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,649 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    LolitaLove wrote: »
    Did a first time shop with Sainsburys today after being tempted by a £15 off for new customers voucher.

I'm absolutely fuming. I've tried Tesco, Asda, and even Ocado/Waitrose and always been happy. Tesco and Asda have policies where they will substitute an out of stock/unavailable item for the same cost as the original item ordered. This has always worked well for me and I've always looked forward to maybe having Tesco finest substituted for tesco basics :P

I ordered from Sainsburys and they DO NOT do this. If they substitute they charge you for the cost of the higher item.

I would never usually shop at Sainsburys as they are by far the most expensive and have very little choice. When my shopping was delivered a large amount of items were unavailable and had been substituted with items that were double the cost of what I'd ordered. Items that I'd ordered that were part of a deal (eg meat 3 for £10) were unavailable, meaning that the 3 for £10 deal was invalidated and I was charged full price for the overpriced items I'd only purchased because of the deal. AND to top it all off, once I'd handed back the items I didn't want my £15 off voucher was IVALID (because the total cost was less than £60). So the only reason I did the shop in the first place taken away. I am SO gutted. I've ended up with £40 worth of overpriced groceries and I'll STILL have to go and do a shop later to replace what I had to hand back . AND TO TOP IT ALL OF I'VE PAID £5.99 DELIVERY for the privilege:P

Please do not EVER shop at Sainsburys online if you value money!!

I've only had one online shop from Sainsbury's and that was all wine when they had 25% off. I was puzzled about the substitutions policy too. Fortunately it didn't happen with me but I was concerned that they'd send me loads of full price wine that I didn't want or even enjoy!

I'd suggest you get in touch with their Customer Service. Sainsbury's are having a great big push on on-line shopping and they need to know that they're actively putting people off!
  • LolitaLove
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    I've only had one online shop from Sainsbury's and that was all wine when they had 25% off. I was puzzled about the substitutions policy too. Fortunately it didn't happen with me but I was concerned that they'd send me loads of full price wine that I didn't want or even enjoy!

I'd suggest you get in touch with their Customer Service. Sainsbury's are having a great big push on on-line shopping and they need to know that they're actively putting people off!

Thank you, I might contact customer service to ask why they don't offer a service that's comparable with their competition....hopefully I can let as many people as possible know about their substandard service to prevent people from being conned as I have! Thanks again for your reply
  • dasophster
    Options
    I regularly shop online with Sainsbury's and have never had any serious problems. Very rarely we have had missing items or unsuitable substitutions and a quick phone call always results in a £5 or £10 off evoucher. Sainsbury's have a lot of happy customers in this area evidenced by their van coming to this development alone at least 3 times a day. It's a bit unfair to warn people to avoid shopping with Sainsbury's xx
  • LolitaLove
    Options
    dasophster wrote: »
    I regularly shop online with Sainsbury's and have never had any serious problems. Very rarely we have had missing items or unsuitable substitutions and a quick phone call always results in a £5 or £10 off evoucher. Sainsbury's have a lot of happy customers in this area evidenced by their van coming to this development alone at least 3 times a day. It's a bit unfair to warn people to avoid shopping with Sainsbury's xx

I'm glad you've had a good experience but I can only share my own experience was has been dire.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I shop occasionally with them and have never had a problem.

I think the problem here is you assumed that they ran their business the same as the others without bothering to check first.

If a product is unavailable on the day of your delivery, your driver will bring a substitute selected by our personal shopper in your delivery store as a close alternative to your original choice. We'll note any substitutions on your paperwork and we'll put them in a blue bag so they're easy to spot.
    Please note, you will be charged for the price of the substituted product not the original product.

If you are happy with the substitute we've chosen there's no more to do. If you'd rather not keep it, hand it back to your driver and we'll refund it once it gets back to the store. We'll send you an email to let you know we've processed your refund, it usually takes between 3 and 5 days for the refund to transfer to your original payment card.
  • fionajbanana
    fionajbanana Posts: 1,611 Forumite
    Options
    Please could everyone phone careline on 0800636262 to ask Sainsburys to stop printing these online coupons everytime a customer does not use a Nectar card!

I have friends and an aunt that work in Sainsburys and they are sick of seeing the coupons left behind.

They say they are the 'greenest' grocer - but go to any group of self scans and see the bin overflowing with paper.
  • vodkawitch1
    vodkawitch1 Posts: 1,033 Forumite
    Options
    Sainsbury`s delivery charge has always put me off trying their home delivery, seems to defeat the bonus of £15 off a first shop.
    Make £2 a day challenge - doing well so far.
  • LolitaLove
    Options
    Sainsbury`s delivery charge has always put me off trying their home delivery, seems to defeat the bonus of £15 off a first shop.

Yeah £5.99 is ridiculous, I've found with Ocado most of the time delivery is free or 99p and they also tell you when the van will be in your area to save fuel which is a great idea IMO. The one good thing about Sainsbury's was that they offered to collect any carrier bags the next time they delivered to recycle but of course that's not enough of a draw to shop again.
  • xcarlyx
    xcarlyx Posts: 1,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I went last Friday and got a £15 off £60 online shop. Its gone in the recycle bin.
  • lovingtescoforever
    lovingtescoforever Posts: 3,358 Forumite
    edited 24 October 2013 at 10:45PM
    Options
    Please could everyone phone careline on 0800636262 to ask Sainsburys to stop printing these online coupons everytime a customer does not use a Nectar card!

I have friends and an aunt that work in Sainsburys and they are sick of seeing the coupons left behind.

They say they are the 'greenest' grocer - but go to any group of self scans and see the bin overflowing with paper.

I work on self service tills and yes they drive me mad too! So annoying and a complete waste of paper...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure