PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Any ideas for picnic food??

Options

Comments

• Luis
    Luis Posts: 637 Forumite
    Options
    Beeeyootiful veggie rice salad idea:

Some rice
    some eggs
    some peanuts
    some mayonnaise

Boil rice & allow to cool
    hard boil eggs and allow to cool
    dice eggs
    throw rice, egg and peanuts in together and mix with mayo til you get a nice sticky consistency

Trust me, this is a family favourite and has been for decades.

Other ideas -

onion tart (HM made with shortcrust pastry base, loads of fried onions in a creamy quichey filling - so tasty)

The old cheese n pineapple on sticks (making a comeback......)

salsa and dipping things - all dips really, and all dipping things

strawbs and cream (de rigeur surely?)
    "It was not my intention to do this in front of you. For that, I'm sorry. But you can take my word for it, your mother had it comin'."

Overlord for the Axis of Evil (part time) :D
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Peanuts in any salad work a treat! :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Iona_Penny
    Iona_Penny Posts: 697 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Grate red leicester cheese and mix with small amount of spread and english mustard to make a spreadable goo.
    Take slices of white bread, cut crusts off and then roll flat with rolling pin. Spread bread with cheese mixture, place one skinless sausage on end and roll up; secure with cocktail stick. Bake in hot oven so cheese melts and bread 'toasts'. Delicious warm but cool and carry in air tight container so they stay crunchy. Variation on sausage roll theme!
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bake for how long at what temp? Tell me quick 'cos I want one! :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ET03
    ET03 Posts: 264 Forumite
    Options
    how about a mix of chicken with fajita seasoning and yoghurt or sour cream
    with a salad or some marinated veg, and some tortilla wraps
  • ET03
    Options
    you could make orange curd using the satsumas instead

Orange Curd

Orange Curd

3 large eggs
    2 large egg yolks
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup fresh orange juice
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
    2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
    1 stick (4 ounces) cold unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons

In a small heavy saucepan, whisk together the eggs and egg yolks. Whisk in the
    sugar, then whisk in the citrus juices and zests. Add the butter and whisk
    constantly over moderately low heat until the mixture thickens, about 8 minutes;
    do not let it boil. Immediately strain the curd into a bowl. Press plastic wrap
    directly on the surface of the curd and cut 6 small steam vents in the plastic.
    Refrigerate the curd overnight; it can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ET03 wrote:
    you could make orange curd using the satsumas instead

Orange Curd

3 large eggs
    2 large egg yolks
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup fresh orange juice
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
    2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
    1 stick (4 ounces) cold unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
    This sounds yummy. Then I could take orange curd sandwiches on my picnic! Ooh! Orange curd tarts!!!!!! :)

Question: How many satsumas for this recipe please?
  • ET03
    Options
    I would just substitute satsuma juice and zest where it says orange
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh, right. Of course! Silly me :) Thanks.
  • Iona_Penny
    Iona_Penny Posts: 697 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For all and Squeaky : Not sure of the temp for the pigs in red-leicester sleeping bags but hot oven until they're done!

I like some of the ideas here but would like to challenge 'are they picnic food ideas?' ; either that or some of you have posh nosh when you're out!! stuff you can pick up with ease, maybe goo you can dip stuff in but that's my limit.

Freeze some small bottles of water or juice, put them in with your lunch and you dont need an ice pack that you then have to carry home , just drink your chiller!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure