PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Think I may be very lucky with DD16 and DS13.

On Wednesday DD came home from school and by the time I got in had used a pack of YS sausages, an onion, some manky mushrooms, a carton of smartprice tomatoes and half a jar of smartprice chilli sauce to make a spicy sausage pasta for tea.

On Thursday DS decided it was his turn and made a shepherds pie with some YS lamb mince, onion, more of the aforementioned manky mushrooms, some even more manky carrots and some way past their use by date potatoes.

Very pleased that they are already able to rummage around to see what we have in and make something from it (they're probably better at it than I am!). Now I just need to get them better trained on the clearing up as you go along and washing up... :eek:

I bet you are not really feeling:eek: I bet you are feeling quite proud of DD and DS, and so you should be :)
  • lushlifesaver
    Options
    Soworried wrote: »
    I tried the flour tortilla/wrap recipe that is on the first page tonight, it worked really well and took only 5 minutes. I doubt I'll buy them any more now :)

I've tried to make my own before but just don't seem able to cook them off properly... one day I will master them hopefully.

For now it is time to get ready for bf's birthday surprises - the meal is coming out of money I saved just for this and the mini golf is so cheap its from my entertainment budget. My last 'real/proper' spends of the month - after this it's only bare essential or nothing!
    Daughter born 26/03/14
    Son born 13/02/21
  • allie23
    allie23 Posts: 1,858 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Happy Birthday Fairy3. I hope you are having a good day.
    Save 12k in 2024 Challenge
    Frugal living Challenge 2024
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Soworried wrote: »
    Does anybody have a recipe for home made puff or flaky pastry please? The one on the first page no longer links.

Hi,

I make Delia's rough puff fairly regularly and have not had a bad batch. I usually make awful shortcrust pastry so this is a good result :o

http://www.deliaonline.com/how-to-cook/baking/how-to-make-quick-flaky-pastry.html
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • Billie-jo
    Billie-jo Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    Options
    Happy birthday Fairy3

Spent £5.41 in Te$co £20.15 in A!di and £2.47 in Morrys so total spent is now £53.16 this month.
    Plain & simple beans on toast for tonight never the less will enjoy them. Have a chicken defrosting for tomorrow.
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • minicooper272
    Options
    I don't like our local Asdo's, you have to pay for parking, and you only get to claim it back if you spend over £10. I probably could have gotten away with spending about £5, but spent the extra so I could get the parking back (I wish I hadn't tried so hard now I think about it!)

I've spent £8.51 (made up the extra with bits for the house), which takes my monthly total to £18.63/£80, which isn't bad at all. Looking at the food in the house this month, I think I'll have a pretty good amount left over.
  • just_the_two_of_us
    Options
    Small spend today in L*dl to get two meat offers, bread and butter to make raisin and pumpkin seed flapjack £5.53 spent. Also bought 6 person hotpot out of GC to take to our neighbours for a last minute decision Fri night in - very tasty.:)

Signature updated.
    July 16 £95/£200
    Nov 16 £0/£200

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don't need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself." Thich Nhat Hahn
  • marris
    marris Posts: 644 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    NSD today , went to get pork loin in Lidl but all sold out. will go 2morrow
    Jan GC £66,82/100 Jan NSD 17/31; Feb GC £71,67/100 Feb NSD 14/28;Mar GC £81,82/100 Mar NSD 16/31;Apr GC £99,54/100 Apr NSD 14/30; May GC £127,20/100 May NSD 12/31; June GC £70,05/100 June NSD 17/30; July GC £47,52/100 NSD 05/31
  • Bookworm42
    Options
    Evening everyone. Not doing too badly. Thursday and Friday were both NSDs. Today I spent £7.15 in Mr T. Off to update signature. Have a good evening everyone.
  • she_who_can_not_cook
    Options
    My first week of the challenge and I'm showing a spend of £34.38/£40 budget for the week BUT it was the first week of the month and I know last weekend I got some `extras` using my card rather than my food cash purse. This week I will be stricter and leave my card at home!

I've decided I'm addicted to food shopping! Where others buy shoes and bags I don't seem to be able to cope without a full freezer and store cupboard. I reckon my 15 year old son and I could easily live for a month or two with what we have in but I keep on shopping! This thread has really helped me plan a but more and I'm not completely there but I'm much, .much better than I used to be.

Having said all that I'm off to lidl now to stock up on their half price pork loin steaks offer so if anyone has any recipes for them I would be grateful :-)
    I am the same with food... shopping like mad for food when there is no need
    Gc 2013 +26 -5. -4 -7 -14 -15 -10.-8.20 +15p+30+5.80 Dec +9 GROCERY challenge 2014 Jan -2Feb -3 March -1.50 April +5.40 May +4.90 June -3.July 16.50/85

God bless my sweet "old man" Goldie that died in the early hours of 27 th March please see him on my avatar
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure