PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• mrssd
    mrssd Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Welcome, beardiedog. I was recently given a good tip for checking if some stuff is ok to eat. Things like sausages, bacon and processed meats nearly always contain nitrites/nitrates to help their keeping properties: they are preservatives. If, when defrosted, these items smell a bit "fishy" then the preservatives have - somehow - changed. They would still be safe to eat as long as they were frozen correctly in the first place, but might taste a bit odd.

I had a tendency to just toss stuff into the freezer without proper packaging and overwrapping and had this happen a few times. I had always assumed the reason was because said items had come into close proximity to something like fish fingers! Thanks to this thread, I have learnt my lesson.
  • mrssd
    Options
    I took the grandkids to the allotments yesterday where they had great fun making the nettle and sheep poo fertilliser. Unfortunately, the dog "helped" and needed hosing down before getting back indoors. So did the grandkids, but I thought it better to strip them off in the hall and then put them in the bath. The allotment loaf went with us to the allotments and was really enjoyed by all at lunchtime. Joe picked some tomatoes to go with it and the lady (name forgotten already!) from the next allotment provided the rest of the makings of a salad. Very nice it was, too.

I didn't have time to make anything last night, apart from tea, but have taken out some wraps from the freezer and a cottage pie for Joe. The grandkids want spagbol tonight, so took out a portion of the batch that has just gone in! The wraps can be used with 2 tins of tuna and a tin of sweetcorn from store to make a load for the allotments today.

I've solved the problem of transporting stuff to Joe in the hot weather. OH picked up one of those plug-in coolboxes from a workmate - the type that plugs in to a 12v socket in the car. It can also be switched to mains and is really good, as frozen stuff stays frozen for a long time. He is also getting into this thrifty and bartering business, as he swapped it for our petrol lawnmower for which we no longer have a use since we moved to a smaller property and the garden is much smaller with virtually no lawn. Oh hates gardening and has put down some artificial lawn. He hoses the "grass" down now:) We kept a strip of the real stuff for the dog, as he likes to dig holes and do his businesses on the Real McCoy.

OUT: (besides the ragu); assorted fish to make fish pies later. Peas. Apple crumble (I think it's apple: no label). Cottage pie for Joe.
    IN: broad beans. None of us like them as a veg, but they make good soup!
  • beardiedog
    beardiedog Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    beardiedog - Oct 17 is recent in terms of the stuff in my freezers. Assuming you don't just have an ice compartmant in a fridge but a proper freezer or fridge freezer everything should be absolutely fine. Even if not well wrapped the worst that can happen is they get a bit freezer burned. Still perfectly edible & safe to eat.

Thanks. Proper freezer. I'll give the snags and chips a try tonight :)
  • beardiedog
    beardiedog Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mrssd wrote: »
    Welcome, beardiedog. I was recently given a good tip for checking if some stuff is ok to eat. Things like sausages, bacon and processed meats nearly always contain nitrites/nitrates to help their keeping properties: they are preservatives. If, when defrosted, these items smell a bit "fishy" then the preservatives have - somehow - changed. They would still be safe to eat as long as they were frozen correctly in the first place, but might taste a bit odd.

I had a tendency to just toss stuff into the freezer without proper packaging and overwrapping and had this happen a few times. I had always assumed the reason was because said items had come into close proximity to something like fish fingers! Thanks to this thread, I have learnt my lesson.

Thanks for the tip. Everything is prepacked so should be OK. I can only try them. If they smell a bit iffy though they're going in the bin.

I haven't tried cooking and freezing my own stuff yet, maybe when I retire :)
  • Need2bthrifty
    Need2bthrifty Posts: 1,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 August 2018 at 3:44PM
    Options
    I'm starting to get a bit of wriggle room in the freezer now and most of the stuff that's going in will only be there short term, so I think I'm still on track to defrost by end of September :cool:

Almost a week since my last post but if my memory serves me well this is how its gone.

In - 2 flatbreads, braised lamb steak, griddled aubergine slices, a small sliced loaf.

Out - sumac chicken, stewed liver, 4 bread rolls, tomato risotto, jar of salmon paste, small tin sweetcorn

Used up - swede.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,097 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In: cupasoup
    Out: teabags, tin of tuna, IKEA meatballs, root veg mash
    Used up: nothing
  • mrssd
    Options
    We had some heavy rain yesterday evening: much needed!
    Fish pie (made yesterday) for tea tonight and one to Joe So, some runners out to go with it. Joe is away from tomorrow for a week's holiday to his sister-in-law in Mablethorpe, so his allotment neighbour will keep an eye on his patch. The grandkids go home tomorrow morning, also. My life is going to be so quiet! Still, I think the mutt will be glad of a bit of peace.

The grandkids managed to clear up a lot of the store of food and had a bit of fun playing shops sorting it all out from the kitchen cupboards Amazing how much I managed to fit in. At least it is all in date - well - nearly all. I think the highlight of their sorting was finding a 3-pack of Jaffa cakes, which they have mostly devoured.

OUT: From freezer runners, last of the ice cream and some strawberry couli.
    From store - tin of corned beef for wraps today.
    IN: Joe's beetroot (cooked and chopped); pizza; broad beans.
    Also got a load of potatoes from Joe, so must remember to use them all. He's got his onions up and they are drying in his shed, so have been promised some on his return. Nice!

I haven't kept a record of how much money I've saved, but my on-line shop is minimal now consisting of weekly basics. I struggled this week to make the minimum spend for delivery, but by the time I stocked up on dog food and laundry products (both on special) I had spent a fair bit:o I think I am going to go back to shopping as I need things, with the exception of specials that I REALLY need and have a high turnover (like dog food and laundry stuff!) and perhaps bread to freeze. It seems to make sense, providing I am disciplined enough:undecided

I don't know about where you are, but the temperature here has dropped 20 degrees from what it was at this time of day at the beginning of the week and I might have to put my vest back on. Have a good day, all.
  • mrssd
    Options
    [QUOTE=Need2bthrifty;74638097...
    In - griddled aubergine slices, ...[/QUOTE]
    I didn't know aubergine slices could be frozen. What do you do when you take them out to reheat? I assume spread on a baking tray and bake? Aubergines are my favourite veg and I often stuff them Turkish-style, but never thought of freezing (I assumed they wouldn't and go mushy). Advice appreciated, please. Thanks.
  • Need2bthrifty
    Options
    mrssd wrote: »
    I didn't know aubergine slices could be frozen. What do you do when you take them out to reheat? I assume spread on a baking tray and bake? Aubergines are my favourite veg and I often stuff them Turkish-style, but never thought of freezing (I assumed they wouldn't and go mushy). Advice appreciated, please. Thanks.

Hi Mrsd

Because I’m cooking for one I tend to griddle the whole aubergine and then open freeze the slices, just taking out however many I need for my individual moussaka or melanzane parmigiana. The only other way I’ve frozen it was in ratatouille.

I haven’t tried stuffing them as it would be too much for me to eat in one sitting and like you I doubt it would reheat well.
  • Need2bthrifty
    Options
    Just when I thought I was on top of things I find a block of puff pastry buried at the back of the fridge, forgot I’d bought it and BB 31/07 :mad: so I made some sausage rolls, 2 small frangipane tarts, one with nectarines the other apricots, suffice to say yesterday’s meals were not the most balanced or healthiest.

Out – pork sausages, block of puff pastry,

In – 3 small sausage rolls,

Used up – 2 nectarines, 4 apricots, ground almonds,
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family