PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Going to join in after realising that as a single person I have an obscene amount of food scattered amongst my 1 large, 1 small freezer and all the kitchen cupboards. My problem is that anything I get out of the freezer seems to generate another 6 portions to go back so as someone else said on here is a never ending story :)

Anyway this year I am determined to clear this food mountain so no buying of anything other than bread, onions and potatoes for me. Just had my first supermarket delivery of the year which consisted mostly of required toiletries and wine :o..... the food part of the shop came to £4.87 and will last a good week probably more :T

Have also done a full food inventory which i have written in a little book along with the list of meals I have eaten (I will never be a good meal planner as I dont fancy what I have planned so instead I just note what I have eaten :) )

Anyway today I have taken out of the freezer some cooked beef and cooked ham from Christmas and a portion of roast potatoes which I am going to have with some very sad looking sprouts I found in a lidl bag in the garage, a bendy leek from the fridge and a slice of bacon. Whats the betting that i end up with another 3 portions of veg to go back in :D

In the same lidl bag mentioned above I found a pack of shallots which I am now pickling so as not to waste . Annoyingly I also found some potatoes so I could have cut my bill today by a big chunk. Hey ho.

So that me, food hoarder extraordinaire but working on it :)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,097 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nelski wrote: »
    Going to join in after realising that as a single person I have an obscene amount of food scattered amongst my 1 large, 1 small freezer and all the kitchen cupboards. My problem is that anything I get out of the freezer seems to generate another 6 portions to go back so as someone else said on here is a never ending story :)

Anyway this year I am determined to clear this food mountain so no buying of anything other than bread, onions and potatoes for me. Just had my first supermarket delivery of the year which consisted mostly of required toiletries and wine :o..... the food part of the shop came to £4.87 and will last a good week probably more :T

Have also done a full food inventory which i have written in a little book along with the list of meals I have eaten (I will never be a good meal planner as I dont fancy what I have planned so instead I just note what I have eaten :) )

Anyway today I have taken out of the freezer some cooked beef and cooked ham from Christmas and a portion of roast potatoes which I am going to have with some very sad looking sprouts I found in a lidl bag in the garage, a bendy leek from the fridge and a slice of bacon. Whats the betting that i end up with another 3 portions of veg to go back in :D

In the same lidl bag mentioned above I found a pack of shallots which I am now pickling so as not to waste . Annoyingly I also found some potatoes so I could have cut my bill today by a big chunk. Hey ho.

So that me, food hoarder extraordinaire but working on it :)
    Can so relate to this - I started a "Cooking for one" thread yesterday been loads of really good replies from board members so far
  • GreenFairy
    Options
    In:
    Milk
    Cream
    Yoghurt
    Veg

Small shop -resisted all the store cupboard bargains!
    Lots of visitors as well, so out went:
    2 bottles fizzy
    Bag of tortilla chips
    Large bag of star mix
    Attempting to stay on track in the Grocery Challenge!

Occasionally blogging at CookingTheBooks!
  • FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So, my clearing of freezer:D has resulted in:

Out:
    500g turkey mince
    4 spicy chicken sausages and 10 chipolatas
    2 pasties out, 1 pot of soup and one pita bread

In:
    8 portions turkey chilli, 7 portions breakfast bake, 20 blueberry muffins and possibly 2 portions of a Sausage and lentil stew.

This isn't working:rotfl:
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Why is it that you often don't fancy eating the precooked stuff you have so painstakingly made and put in the freezer and end up eating scrambled egg on toast or something? I think sometimes our desire not to waste anything overrides our food like and dislikes. On occasions I've thrown away something in disgust on removing it from the freezer to defrost and wondered why on earth I thought I would enjoy it more second time round when I didn,t much like it first time round. :rotfl:

I think being a wartime child has something to do with it, with my Mum drumming into me that sailors on convoy ships lost their lives bringing food to this country so it was a crime ever to waste any piece of food. It's hard to shake these early habits off. I was once speaking to a Polish lady who came over here shortly after the war. She said they were so short of food and starving in Poland during the war than even after all these years she still has to physically restrain herself from admonishing parents who allowed their children to throw bread to the ducks in the pond at her local park because The only bread they had to eat had to be made from ground roasted acorns.
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    So, my clearing of freezer:D has resulted in:

Out:
    500g turkey mince
    4 spicy chicken sausages and 10 chipolatas
    2 pasties out, 1 pot of soup and one pita bread

In:
    8 portions turkey chilli, 7 portions breakfast bake, 20 blueberry muffins and possibly 2 portions of a Sausage and lentil stew.

This isn't working:rotfl:

Lol if your`e on the grocery challenge it is.
    Primrose wrote: »
    Why is it that you often don't fancy eating the precooked stuff you have so painstakingly made and put in the freezer and end up eating scrambled egg on toast or something? I think sometimes our desire not to waste anything overrides our food like and dislikes. On occasions I've thrown away something in disgust on removing it from the freezer to defrost and wondered why on earth I thought I would enjoy it more second time round when I didn,t much like it first time round. :rotfl:

I think being a wartime child has something to do with it, with my Mum drumming into me that sailors on convoy ships lost their lives bringing food to this country so it was a crime ever to waste any piece of food. It's hard to shake these early habits off. I was once speaking to a Polish lady who came over here shortly after the war. She said they were so short of food and starving in Poland during the war than even after all these years she still has to physically restrain herself from admonishing parents who allowed their children to throw bread to the ducks in the pond at her local park because The only bread they had to eat had to be made from ground roasted acorns.

I think being a wartime child has a lot to do with it, I was born the week it ended but rationing was in place for a few years. Grew up with my Nan and Mum constantly saying waste not want not, sailors lost their lives bringing this, people are starving in this world, stories of the dutch having to eat daffodil bulbs etc.
    Slimming World at target
  • GreenFairy
    Options
    Ah, baking! Uses up supplies, and provides cake :D

Out:
    Carton of 6 eggs
    Bag of chocolate chips
    Two large bars of dark chocolate
    2 lemons
    Carton of orange juice
    Litre carton of milk
    2 steaks
    Pack of cheese slices
    Bag of frozen chips
    Attempting to stay on track in the Grocery Challenge!

Occasionally blogging at CookingTheBooks!
  • 117pauline
    Options
    I am another one trying to manage my freezer and cupboard better.

So out this week:

freezer -
    several pieces of chicken
    chicken kiev
    mince

cupboards -
    2 tomato passata
    spices, herbs, seasoning
    tin pears
    tin custard
    eggs
    soup
    noodles
    rice

Now I have reorganised things, I feel a bit more in control of what's happening.

I have a plan for next week too so I just need to buy some fresh milk, fruit and veg. Happy days!

We spent yesterday evening in A&E, thankfully nothing too serious so we have eaten yesterday's meal, tonight - guess that isn't an ideal way to cut down on food costs!
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
  • FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    meg72 wrote: »
    Lol if your`e on the grocery challenge it is

True. Doing quite well there this month.

Actually 3 portions of stew left, but only 1 sausage. A use for the 6 odd cooked sausages also in the freezer somewhere.:D
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »
    Why is it that you often don't fancy eating the precooked stuff you have so painstakingly made and put in the freezer and end up eating scrambled egg on toast or something? I think sometimes our desire not to waste anything overrides our food like and dislikes. On occasions I've thrown away something in disgust on removing it from the freezer to defrost and wondered why on earth I thought I would enjoy it more second time round when I didn,t much like it first time round.

With me its that I think "I like this, I like that, oh I like that and its a bargain" and dump stuff in freezer, when I do cook it I still like it but can't be bothered

When I take stuff out of the freezer the texture changes on a lot of things and it tastes worse.

What I really mean is I like someone elses version of what I have so buy something thinking it will turn out the same (or at least a little more bland but you can tell its the same thing.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback