Sky USB On Demand dongle causing recordings to fail.

in TV MoneySaving
18 replies 2.8K views
prowlaprowla Forumite
12.1K Posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭✭
I received my Sky On Demand dongle a couple of weeks ago, and since plugging it in I've had a number of recordings fail on my Sky HD+ box fail, giving a reason of "Power Failure".

It was a bit annoying last week, as I was away and came back to find a load of failed recordings.

It happened at various times during the week, and there hadn't really been a power failure, as my mains powered clocks were running fine.

I've now unplugged the dongle and reset the box, so I'll be seeing if the phantom failures have now stopped.

Has anybody else seen this behaviour?

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Since off-air recordings have little to do with your internet connection, I'd be looking elsewhere for blame...
  • prowlaprowla Forumite
    12.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could just be coincidence, of course.

I don't know how the software in the box works, and it would seem strange that adding what is effectively some more channels via a different feed should do it, but plugging it in was the change I made.
  • Oli.sOli.s Forumite
    547 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Is it the proper sky one? Ours has it's own power supply and isn't USB.
  • TropezTropez Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    I assume you're using the wireless mini connector (the various "Skybox" USB ones on eBay will not work) as that's the only USB one I know of. You should check what make/model of Sky+HD box you have as a number of Sky+HD boxes are not actually compatible with the wireless mini connector due to the fact that the USB ports have non or limited functionality.

Those that are compatible may require a forced update to download the correct software to work properly with the connector. Instructions here - http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-sky-tv/34361-how-do-system-software-update-all-sky-boxes.html
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    prowla wrote: »
    It could just be coincidence, of course.
    It is a coincidence. Plugging your box into the internet won't, by itself, cause failed recordings.
  • prowlaprowla Forumite
    12.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tropez wrote: »
    I assume you're using the wireless mini connector (the various "Skybox" USB ones on eBay will not work) as that's the only USB one I know of. You should check what make/model of Sky+HD box you have as a number of Sky+HD boxes are not actually compatible with the wireless mini connector due to the fact that the USB ports have non or limited functionality.

Those that are compatible may require a forced update to download the correct software to work properly with the connector. Instructions here - http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-sky-tv/34361-how-do-system-software-update-all-sky-boxes.html
    It is the Sky one.

Mine is a 1 TB box, but I'll check that out - thanks.
  • prowlaprowla Forumite
    12.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a coincidence. Plugging your box into the internet won't, by itself, cause failed recordings.
    Do you know that for a fact, or are you simply applying apparent common sense?

The error reported is that the box thinks there has been a power failure, not a recording error per-se.

I'll run it for a week without the dongle, and then plug it back in for a week; if it's fine without and then starts failing again with it in, then the saying "it it looks like a duck and quacks" comes to mind.
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I'll run it for a week without the dongle, and then plug it back in for a week; if it's fine without and then starts failing again with it in, then the saying "it it looks like a duck and quacks" comes to mind.
    Why don't you post your apparent problem on the official Sky Help forum? I've seen no active threads there where connecting to the internet caused failed recordings. However, I have seen plenty of people complaining of failed recording with "power failure" as the reason.
  • techspectechspec Forumite
    4.5K Posts

I've now unplugged the dongle and reset the box, so I'll be seeing if the phantom failures have now stopped.

Has anybody else seen this behaviour?

You would have been better off resetting the box with it in.

Its a glitch caused by a new addition - just needed box resetting AFTER adding it - thats all mine needed (unplug for a while etc).
  • prowlaprowla Forumite
    12.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    techspec wrote: »
    You would have been better off resetting the box with it in.

Its a glitch caused by a new addition - just needed box resetting AFTER adding it - thats all mine needed (unplug for a while etc).
    I did that when I attached it, and also once with it in, before I went away for the week; however that didn't fix it, as I came back to the failed recordings.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES