IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

FOI Request on DVLA for EDI requests 10/2012 to 09/2013

Options

Comments

• Fergie76
    Fergie76 Posts: 2,293 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My main concern is that if a company was entitled to access the database themselves, then why wouldn't they?

I can't imagine Conplex and Ranger are doing for free, so it will be £2.50 plus X in charges.

And we all know how much the PPC's like money, so they are not going to throw it away needlessly.
  • Stroma
    Stroma Posts: 7,971 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    From what I've seen they charge £3.00-£3.50 minimum for RK details, surely if you are asking for details thousands of times it can't be economically viable to pay an extra quid a shot?
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    We don't need the following to help you.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
    :beer: Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member :beer:
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Stroma wrote: »
    From what I've seen they charge £3.00-£3.50 minimum for RK details, surely if you are asking for details thousands of times it can't be economically viable to pay an extra quid a shot?
    Companies using the EDI system have to pay an up front fee of a few £000 to get the terminal and electronic link set up, so below a certain level that's not cost effective.

Smaller PPCs such as Perky's mob use the paper request system for this reason.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • Scouse_Magic
    Options
    HO87 wrote: »
    Don't forget that Roxburghe operate Roxburghe Parking Services (Steve Dargonne's domain) that provides a DVLA bureau service for smaller PPC's but also offers a full back-office service from initial processing through to debt collection and court, if required.

What Court ??? What Solicitor ????
  • HO87
    HO87 Posts: 4,296 Forumite
    edited 20 October 2013 at 1:23AM
    Options
    Fergie76 wrote: »
    Surely Complex and Ranger should not be allowed to access the data on behalf of others, as then there is little or no checks to see who they are then selling the info on it.

I also notice that (Not-So)Smart Parking are missing from the list.

The whole system stinks.
    In a FOIA I did last year pursuing just this point with the DVLA they confirmed that any company providing checks for a third-party PPC must disclose the identity of that third party AND that third party also had to be an AOS member.
    What Court ??? What Solicitor ????
    Come on S_M! You're going back to your old ways. Just ease off the gas and re-read my post slowly. My words were precise and deliberately so. I quite specifically used the word "offers" which is exactly what Roxburghe does. They "offer" that service to their clients and have done for some time now. I did not say and nor did I imply that Roxburghe will take you to court or that they necessarily currently have the means to do so. Had I intended that as my meaning that is the form of words I would have used.

On that basis that your post would have more impact and appeared as a more obviously helpful comment, if you had quoted my post and added something to the effect:
    "Of course, having lost the services of Graham White, Solicitor - their purportedly in-house counsel - only a few months ago and only a week or so ago carelessly lost the services of GPB, Roxburghe are not really in a position to follow through at the moment."
    Then everybody would have been happy. ;)
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016). :(

For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
  • hoohoo
    hoohoo Posts: 1,717 Forumite
    Options
    Presumable as smart parking do not appear, yet have been know to issue the odd ticket, the DVLA have cocked up their answer
    Dedicated to driving up standards in parking
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    A shame the DVLA hasn't increased the fee in line with inflation ;)
  • Stroma
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    hoohoo wrote: »
    Presumable as smart parking do not appear, yet have been know to issue the odd ticket, the DVLA have cocked up their answer

No because they use the services of Ranger I believe, the same as a number of insignificant AOS members maybe like Combined Parking ;)
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
  • Stroma
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Kite2010 wrote: »
    A shame the DVLA hasn't increased the fee in line with inflation ;)

Wonder if it's plus VAT ?
  • 4consumerrights
    Options
    Stroma wrote: »
    There is that , but they are allowed to do it. Was thinking about asking the dvla about what they have in place to ensure compliance with dpa on this. This whole scenario does stink as there are a number of parking companies missing from the list

I have just found that the Home Office has ultimate responsibility for ANPR and CCTV under the POFA 2012 - A new code of practice has been initiated which makes very interesting reading and requires constant checks to ensure that users are compliant and used for lawful purposes.

(IMO as many of the parking charges at appeals are allowed and the charge cancelled then if ANPR was used -this surely makes the request to DVLA illegitmately obtainted)

Another route for complaints via the commissioner.

The following links should be of interest:

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/surveillance-camera-commissioner

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/41/4191.asp

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/204775/Surveillance_Camera_Code_of_Practice_WEB.pdf

:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family