Help please, drop kerb issue for disabled, discrimination?

hi a couple years back had grief off council regarding crossing over grass verge to park outside house, as did a few other people in the street. to cut a long story short, i was looking into doing it myself through the right channels etc,(mum has a blue badge and is on attendance allowance being 77. i had already complained to the council about the state of the verges and fell on deaf ears.) one day contractors decended upon us without warning and put in a drop kerb, without concent. we were the only ones in the street to have this action taken. and 2 years later on everyone else is still parking where they like without a blink of an eye from the council. suddenly i start getting threatening letters (addressed to my dad, who has been dead for 19 years and never lived at the property, upsetting enough), i have spoken to a couple of people who said i wil have to pay the debt. however i think its unfair, that we were singled out, with mum in her condition as well and given all this grief. can anyone please suggest my best approach to this as im getting so worked up its unreal! many thanks :j

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    hi a couple years back had grief off council regarding crossing over grass verge to park outside house, as did a few other people in the street. to cut a long story short, i was looking into doing it myself through the right channels etc,(mum has a blue badge and is on attendance allowance being 77. i had already complained to the council about the state of the verges and fell on deaf ears.)

one day contractors decended upon us without warning and put in a drop kerb, without concent. we were the only ones in the street to have this action taken. and 2 years later on everyone else is still parking where they like without a blink of an eye from the council.

suddenly i start getting threatening letters (addressed to my dad, who has been dead for 19 years and never lived at the property, upsetting enough), i have spoken to a couple of people who said i wil have to pay the debt.

however i think its unfair, that we were singled out, with mum in her condition as well and given all this grief.

can anyone please suggest my best approach to this as im getting so worked up its unreal! many thanks :j

Are the demands for payment for the dropped kerb or something else?
  • hi, demands are for the payment for the dropped kerb.
  • Mojisola
    hi, demands are for the payment for the dropped kerb.

Ask the council for a copy of the agreement between your father and them.

Obviously, as your father has been dead for so long, there won't be one.

I would also get your local councillor involved.
  • ok thank you, i didnt think of all that. i did have a letter before the work stating they would enforce the drop kerb tho? then it went quiet for a while til the workmen arrived. ive just been going thro old paperwork and email correspondence i had from that time. also i have pictures from the last few years of other people in the street still crossing the verges and parking on there front lawns that ive kept taking. ive also noticed in the local paper today an application for planning permission to drop a kerb. to my knowledge there was never anything quoted before mine was done, not sure if this carries any weight? thank you so much for your help!
  • Mojisola
    ok thank you, i didnt think of all that. i did have a letter before the work stating they would enforce the drop kerb tho? then it went quiet for a while til the workmen arrived.

Was that letter addressed to you? What did it say about paying for the work?
  • invoices all saying MR. some letters are addressed MR and MRS. i have a 'notice of intent for the commencement of legal action' letter addressed to MS dated 2011. a letter to MR and MRS "unlawfully driving over the public highway" final paragraph states "we would advise that should you continue to drive your vehicle over teh public highway to gain access to the property you will be served wtih an enforcement notice under section 184 of the highways act 1980" which i dont appear to have anywhere... one invoice is just addressed to our surname!
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    I'm a bit confused about where you say you got grief for parking on the verges, but also you complained about the state of the verges.
  • Mojisola
    invoices all saying MR. some letters are addressed MR and MRS. i have a 'notice of intent for the commencement of legal action' letter addressed to MS dated 2011. a letter to MR and MRS "unlawfully driving over the public highway" final paragraph states "we would advise that should you continue to drive your vehicle over teh public highway to gain access to the property you will be served wtih an enforcement notice under section 184 of the highways act 1980" which i dont appear to have anywhere... one invoice is just addressed to our surname!

It would be worth collecting everything you've got and asking for an appointment with CAB as well as getting your local councillor involved.
  • I've spoken to community law solicitors this afternoon and have an appointment with them this week, although they seem to think there's nothing I can do and will have to pay the council ??? should I have gone to the CAB instead?
  • I've spoken to community law solicitors this afternoon and have an appointment with them this week, although they seem to think there's nothing I can do and will have to pay the council ??? should I have gone to the CAB instead?

Do you mean a community legal service, where you can get free advice? If so they should be able to advise when they have reviewed your paperwork. Don't get hung up on a misaddressed letter, it is easy for the council to remedy that, what is important is the substance of the letters.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure