Help please, drop kerb issue for disabled, discrimination?

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I've spoken to community law solicitors this afternoon and have an appointment with them this week, although they seem to think there's nothing I can do and will have to pay the council ??? should I have gone to the CAB instead?

No, you've got legal advice now.
  • ah ok, thanks, i will take everything with me this week when i see them, they just seemed a bit negative about it all when i telephoned them earlier. your help is much appreciated!
  • hollydays wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused about where you say you got grief for parking on the verges, but also you complained about the state of the verges.

when we moved in i complained about the state of the verges, uneven, bogpit when it rained etc, my disabled mother had problems getting in and out of the car when it was parked on the verge. council did nothing to help. so i started crossing the verges with the car onto the garden in front of my house where i made a parking bay. the council then decided to send us letters saying we werent allowed to cross the verge to park the car. these letters went on for a while to a few residents in the street, our dropped kerb was put in by the council without our consent or knowledge, however other residents still cross the said verges and have continued to do so without penalty for the past few years. is that clearer for you now, sorry im not great at wording things.
  • Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well it's not discrimination in any shape or form....

How long have you and your mother lived at this address?
    When did you start recieving letters regarding driving over the verge?
    When did they put the dropped kerb in?
    For a dropped kerb to be put in place, someone must of spoken to the council to request one as they don't randomly install them and then invoice the household, if this was'nt requested how did they know your mother is disabled.
    The driving over the verge pre-damaged or not really is'nt a good idea as obviously more damage will be caused, and it is something a council can charge for.
    Have your spoken to all the other households and asked if they have had requests for payment to damage.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I do wonder if its payment for a ticket for actually driving over the verge previously?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Poppie68 wrote: »
    Well it's not discrimination in any shape or form....

How long have you and your mother lived at this address?
    When did you start recieving letters regarding driving over the verge?
    When did they put the dropped kerb in?
    For a dropped kerb to be put in place, someone must of spoken to the council to request one as they don't randomly install them and then invoice the household, if this was'nt requested how did they know your mother is disabled.
    The driving over the verge pre-damaged or not really is'nt a good idea as obviously more damage will be caused, and it is something a council can charge for.
    Have your spoken to all the other households and asked if they have had requests for payment to damage.

been here over 6 years, letters started in 2010, dropped kerb was put in place in 201. no one requested anything, the council didnt know mum was disabled as far as i know as they never mentioned it in any letters (im not saying discrimination about being disabled, im talking about why us and no other neighbour), we never instructed the dropped kerb at all, i was looking into it as i was fed up with all the letters from the council, but hadnt got to the point of appointing anyone to carry out the work as was questioning if we could get any help towards costings. yup i can understand the driving over verge, however cars parked and still do with 2 wheels on the verge, causing just as much damage. i know of at least 5 other households that had the letters, but no further action was taken against them and nothing since. hope ive answered all your questions there. if i end up paying it i end up paying, but im just annoyed it was us that was singled out and the problem is still apparent down our street and nothing seems to be said about it now.
  • I do wonder if its payment for a ticket for actually driving over the verge previously?

ok i have an enforcement reference number but no documentation regarding the enforcement, it just shows up on the invoice as enforcement. im assuming i can check this out somewhere as that thought never crossed my mind.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Something's not right here, is there something your omitting to mention?
  • mttylad
    mttylad Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Broken enter key perhaps?
  • hollydays wrote: »
    Something's not right here, is there something your omitting to mention?

no theres nothing, this is why im finding it hard to work out whats going on, im asking for help and holding nothing back. im not trying to worm out of anything im just trying to find the best course of action to take as i think its unfair whats happened here. what is it you think ive omitted to tell? why would i waste everyones time asking for help if im hiding something ???
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure