Help please, drop kerb issue for disabled, discrimination?

Options

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 October 2013 at 10:47AM
    Options
    In post number seven you say the letters were addressed to ms, also.
    I m trying to help you. X
    It sounds like you've got a lot on your plate.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    there charging me £1800, just says on the invoice its for enforcement and gives a number, ive got no documentation on the enforcement tho, so not sure what exactly it covers. tho the last letter i had from them before it was done, said they would enforce the work be done, so am assuming its for the work done.

The bit I've highlighted is confusing me, you have said multiple times that you received no letters warning that the work would start and that the contractors just turned up. Above you say you had a letter before it was done telling you they were going to enforce the work.

When the contractors turned up did you ask them what they were there for and did you query it with the council at the time they were carrying out the work?
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can't see where the discrimination in the title is?
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't know what you're complaining about. If it were me I'd be more than happy that the council took on the responsibility and hassle that goes with it (ie, planning consent etc) for installing a dropped kerb.

At the end of the day what you were doing is arguable unlawful, so the only option would be for a dropped kerb, and I can't see why you'd object to having one fitted and paying for it.
  • George_Michael
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    I can't see where the discrimination in the title is?

I think that by discrimination the OP means that many of their neighbours are also driving over the kerb to park their cars but they are the only ones who have had a dropped kerb put down by the council (and are therefore the only ones being charged for this).
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It is a hell of a lot of money.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    It is a hell of a lot of money.

I was thinking that myself.

A quick "Google" found this:
    http://www.tameside.gov.uk/kerbdropping
    The cost depends on the area of the footpath used to access the driveway.
    Please find below the vehicle crossing price chart.
    A typical cost for a 5-kerb extension with a footway width not exceeding 2 metres (6 foot) would be £627.90.
    Current pricing as of 2012.
    which is about 1/3 of what the OP has been asked to pay.
    I know that different councils will have different charges, but I can't see how a simple job like kerb dropping can vary by about £1200 unless there was damage to the footpath that needed fixing.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 October 2013 at 2:08PM
    Options
    We don't know how wide the verge is.

If there is (say) twenty feet of grass between the road and the OP's garden then the charge being asked for is ok.

Perhaps the OP can help us in this respect.
  • CoolHotCold
    CoolHotCold Posts: 2,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was thinking that myself.

A quick "Google" found this:
    http://www.tameside.gov.uk/kerbdropping

which is about 1/3 of what the OP has been asked to pay.
    I know that different councils will have different charges, but I can't see how a simple job like kerb dropping can vary by about £1200 unless there was damage to the footpath that needed fixing.

It could also be £700 for curb drop and £500 in enforcement actions as it was done in 2010

Op needs to talk to a lawyer as he isn't being clear here and the advice of gathering all details, making further inquires into the full cost, agreement action, etc etc is all we can do.
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    It could also be £700 for curb drop and £500 in enforcement actions as it was done in 2010

Op needs to talk to a lawyer as she isn't being clear here and the advice of gathering all details, making further inquires into the full cost, agreement action, etc etc is all we can do.

Fixed for you. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport