🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Letting cats outside.

Options

Comments

• Moon~Shadow
    Moon~Shadow Posts: 208 Forumite
    Options
    Ideally you should keep a cat in for 2-3 weeks. Yes, butter on their paws works as it leaves a scent from the house on their paws to follow back too.

When you let them out, don't feed them at all before hand as they will soon return hungry - works every time.

If you are worried, use a harness or have a pen built outside. Mine is bulit from aviary panels, done locally and they love it.

Grange Pet Centre (online) allows you to buy aviary panel and custom build or they do reasonable housing.

HTH
  • SkintMonkey
    SkintMonkey Posts: 830 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think we might try letting the boys have a taste of the outside world next weekend - on Sunday we would have had them for 2 weeks and I think we will try them outside for 15 minutes before dinner time. I'll try the butter thing too, a few people have suggested it to us. They are chipped, but will get them collars this week so that in case they go off or something. Many thanks.
  • Welshlassie
    Welshlassie Posts: 1,731 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When we moved house recently we kept our cat in for about a week. It took her a couple of days to venture around the entire house. When she started to wine at the door we took her out but carried her around the garden for a look (about 5-10 mins) and then brought her back in.
    We did this again the following day and then let her have a wander around the garden by herself the day after but watched her. After that she was aloud out by herself, but we'd go and call for her everyso often if we hadn;t seen her for a bit. She is now perfectly happy and never ventures too far fom the house, but is so much more chilled than she was in our last house.
    I think each cat is different and you just need to judge them on how they react to things.
  • Curious_George_2
    Options
    do yourself a favour... make them into house cats!

i was down stairs at 3.30am this morning because one of my cats was "investigating" a frog and the thing was screaming!
    im not kidding... it sounded like sweep (out of sooty) getting murdered!

i had to get the cat in and give the frog enough time to get away just so i (and probably my neighbours) could go back to sleep....

i will get my revenge though, that cat is booked in to lose his wotsits tomorrow... that'll shut him up!
  • SkintMonkey
    SkintMonkey Posts: 830 Forumite
    Options
    do yourself a favour... make them into house cats!

i was down stairs at 3.30am this morning because one of my cats was "investigating" a frog and the thing was screaming!
    im not kidding... it sounded like sweep (out of sooty) getting murdered!

i had to get the cat in and give the frog enough time to get away just so i (and probably my neighbours) could go back to sleep....

i will get my revenge though, that cat is booked in to lose his wotsits tomorrow... that'll shut him up!

Although I think my husabnd likes the idea of us turning the cats into house cats but they aren't that way inclined, we can tell. They are really keen to be outside and the amount of energy the youngest one has, he needs to go out and burn it off!!
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    Options
    Neuter your cats BEFORE letting them out, be responsible :beer:
  • smartie12
    smartie12 Posts: 7,658 Forumite
    Options
    I let my boys (2 4year olds) out after I had them for a few weeks - at food time so they wouldnt go far! Unfortunatly 1 of them got stuck in a neighbour's yard, and there was a lot of building sites nearby, so kept them in. They've been house cats for the last 3 and half years. When I now leave the back door open they aren't interested in going out!
    BLOWINGBUBBLES:kisses2: SMARTIE12
  • Leopardlady
    Leopardlady Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Options
    I think our cat hates being a house cat, we have been advised to keep him in, he is a Tonkinese. We are thinking of letting him out when we get back from holiday as he has been in the house for 3 weeks whining at the door.
    Leopardlady
    Got married on the 26th April 08!!!!!!!:j:T

Bumpy Bean was due 20th Nov 2010, born 15th Nov :j:j:T
  • ashleyrossuk
    ashleyrossuk Posts: 175 Forumite
    Options
    i have had my cats over 1 week and they are dying to get out, but have only had one injection (are getting the other one in two weeks), do i have to wait to let them out until they have had thier other injection or can i let them out now!
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    Options
    i have had my cats over 1 week and they are dying to get out, but have only had one injection (are getting the other one in two weeks), do i have to wait to let them out until they have had thier other injection or can i let them out now!

For gods sake get them spayed first, how many times does it need to be said :confused: It's irresponsible people like you that add to the ever increasing cat population. Cats can make babies from 5 months onwards, some even earlier. if they are dying to get out maybe thats an alarm bell, maybe they are sexually mature :confused: Even if they are kittens, please get them spayed first :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport