Letting cats outside.

Options
Last Sunday we brought home two lovely little cats - one is 8 months (ish) and the other is 1 year old (ish). The youngest in particular is desperate to get outside and stretch his legs (he is bored with the kitchen and lounge already we think!) - am I right in thinking we should keep them in for another two weeks at least and then let them out gradually?

Has anyone got any good tips/advice?

Comments

• lee8040
    lee8040 Posts: 554 Forumite
    Options
    i heard it was 6 weeks you keep them indoors
  • taxi97w
    taxi97w Posts: 1,526 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I've had cats all my life. I leave them in for 2 weeks, then just before I let them out, put butter on their two front paws (have them in the kitchen for this), and as they lick off the butter it's supposed to give them a 'sense of grounding'. Then let them out to their hearts content. I've never lost one yet!
    more dollar$ than sense
  • SkintMonkey
    SkintMonkey Posts: 830 Forumite
    Options
    taxi97w wrote: »
    I've had cats all my life. I leave them in for 2 weeks, then just before I let them out, put butter on their two front paws (have them in the kitchen for this), and as they lick off the butter it's supposed to give them a 'sense of grounding'. Then let them out to their hearts content. I've never lost one yet!

Thanks, we'll try the butter thing, I had heard about it before but never fully understood the purpose. I can't wait to let them out and I know they will love the garden when they finally get out there.
  • ashleyrossuk
    ashleyrossuk Posts: 175 Forumite
    Options
    I am in a similar situation, with two new cats, i was going to get them a harness each and take them for a walk each day for three weeks.

Is this a good idea or have i lost the plot????
  • Justie
    Justie Posts: 1,768 Forumite
    Options
    try letting them out just before a meal time that way they're more likely to come back - they probably won't go far the first time so go out with them and potter round the garden a bit.
  • Jarvisma
    Jarvisma Posts: 213 Forumite
    Options
    I am in a similar situation, with two new cats, i was going to get them a harness each and take them for a walk each day for three weeks.

Probably a good idea in theory but good luck trying to get them on! I think my cats would have the feline equivalent of an epileptic fit if I tried anything like that!

Seriosly though, I have two cats one now 10yrs and the other approx 6 yrs and I have probably moved house about 7 or 8 times with the older one.

I always keep him in for at least a few days, then when he's going stir crazy, let him out (as the ap has said) about 1/2 hour before he usually gets fed and I actually go out with him.

Try and do it early in the day so that if he does go walk about it doesn't get dark quickly, and even if he isn't in eyesight, go out every now and again and call him, just so he can hear your voice.

My cat's an angel, he comes in bang on time at bed time and if I call him he happily comes trotting in angel-smiley-002.gif
  • little_bear_3
    Options
    our cats are house cats but do like to wander outdoors in summer if we are out, when we moved house I was worried that if jefferson jumped the fence I would lose him! So i got a harness for him :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: well talk about entertainment................the other cats watched in amazement as i tried to get it on him then when we got outside he just lay on it and refused to get up :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: he did get used to it and ventured round after a while and it gave him chance to wander round his new garden. it is a nervous time letting them out at first, try doing it before you feed them and then they have a good excuse to come home for food and cuddles ;) Good luck
    Love my job in the bank and am proud to say that, however I only do what is right for the customer no matter what, probably why I am on top of customer service nominations by my customers :A
  • Cat72
    Cat72 Posts: 2,398 Forumite
    Options
    I found a stray cat at christmass but im having reall problems letting him out.I waited till the weather has been better ( plus he was ill when we first got him so didnt want to let him out too soon ).However he is a total nightmare when i let him out- never responds to his name and keeps legging it over a few neighbours gardens .So far I have only been able to let him out for 10 minutes before he does the great escape ! I really need to let him out as he is a huge cat and needs the exercise but once he is outside he never responds to his name or acknowleges me so im terrifed he will get lost again .As he was at deaths door when I got him I dont want him to go through this suffering again but hes totally crazy once he is out ! I have three other cats- one is a housecat and the other two are darlings when they are out and follow me around when they see me.If only I coud get him to be soo good.Any help would be appreciated ! :confused:
  • kr15snw
    kr15snw Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    Options

Nope you havent. Our cat is a house cat but she got upset that the dogs could go out for a walk and she couldnt. So we bought her a harness and now she goes on walks with the dogs every day. Its so cute :)
    Green and White Barmy Army!
  • stamford
    stamford Posts: 5,175 Forumite
    Options
    Last Sunday we brought home two lovely little cats - one is 8 months (ish) and the other is 1 year old (ish). The youngest in particular is desperate to get outside and stretch his legs (he is bored with the kitchen and lounge already we think!) - am I right in thinking we should keep them in for another two weeks at least and then let them out gradually?

Has anyone got any good tips/advice?

Don't let them use your neighbours gardens as toilets :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family