PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help....My jam won't set

Options
123457»

Comments

• u751904
    u751904 Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We'll I potted it up in jars. Will leave over night. I had some extra which went into bowl in the fridge so will soon know if it has enough pectin. My cooker is of the old really old type on account that I it is so big and has a hudge oven - not something that new ovens have.

I am perplexed about this when I have followed the recipe so carefully. If it doesn't work I am going to get some pectin and reboil the jam with additional pectin. I see no reason why I can't empty the jars reboil and re steralise the jars etc... ??

thanks for the help.
  • floyd
    floyd Posts: 2,722 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes you definitely can reboil it provided your jars are sterilised, let us know how you get on.
  • chocolate_buttons_2
    Options
    Hope it works out ok! I was the only girl at school to make Plum Toffee, not Plum Jam as mine didn't set and the trio of cookery teachers couldn't agree what to do and made me do all their ideas... :eek:
  • diamond_sky
    Options
    1 pint of water sounds far too much for me. I successfully made plum jam (without any added pectin) and for every 1lb of plums it was 3-5 tablespoons of water (depending on how ripe they were, mine were very, very unripe as I'd foraged them so used 5 tablespoons).
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think it might be the water too - i made some on friday (using Aldi super 6 plums) and didn't put any water in. HOwever, 4lbs is a lot of fruit and that would take a long time to reach the temperature - i did 1 1/2 lb and it took about 10 mins.

I guess at some point the water would evaporate????
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • diamond_sky
    diamond_sky Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    ^ Yeah sounds about right....let us know if you manage to re-boil it ok!
  • u751904
    u751904 Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    1 pint of water sounds far too much for me. I successfully made plum jam (without any added pectin) and for every 1lb of plums it was 3-5 tablespoons of water (depending on how ripe they were, mine were very, very unripe as I'd foraged them so used 5 tablespoons).

wow that is totally different from the recipe. I have to admit If I were to guess I would have done what you have suggested. It really frustrates me when you get a recipe and think I am sure this isn't right you follow it and it turns not as expected. I think the jam has set but (think) but I was left with almost a quatre of pan of liquid... hmm.
  • brookend1
    Options
    made a whole bunch of strawberry jam using pam corbin's recipe last night. Made it a few weeks ago and it set lovely. Saw a whole bunch of reduced strawberries and bought them for making jam. The jam won't set. The recipe uses jam sugar and lemon juice - tastes lovely by the way!
    What do you think to reboiling it? Should I add certo?
    Thanks
  • _gav_
    _gav_ Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was always told to make Jam in small batches, less than 2lb at a go, otherwise getting it to the "Jam" stage is a nightmare! I've always stuck to that rule and never had a problem.

I would also tend to agree that 1pint of water is waaaaaay too much.
  • chinagirl
    Options
    Attempting my home grown plum jam...having trouble getting it to set, so reboiled it and added more lemon juice. Did the plate wrinkle test, and there was a slight improvement, so leaving it to cool now and will decant into jars. Kind of hoping that storing in the fridge will make it appear more set anyway ;) .
    keep smiling,
    chinagirl x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family