PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help....My jam won't set

Options

Comments

• Hi,

Sorry to hear about your jam, I made victoria plum jam last week from a very old recipe and had to use 1lb of fruit to 1lb of sugar. Thought it wasn't going to set was a little runny but still did the wrinkle when its cooler on a plate thing, and by the next morning it had set in the jars, if it hadn't set was going to use it as porridge topping. :rolleyes:
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have put some on a plate and left to cool - think I may have been trying to wrinkle it too soon - patience has never been my strong point :rolleyes:

Put some dried cinnamon into it, and it tastes lovely, so just hoping it will set
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • You have patience like mine, I had nearly filled a plate with test bits till it started to wrinkle, sounds like you should be ok
  • charlies_mum
    Options
    Moany,

Where did you get your sugar thermometer from ?
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Charlies_mum,

There's an earlier thread with tips on getting jam to set that may help so I've added your post to it to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    Moany,

Where did you get your sugar thermometer from ?

I got it from Lakeland Plastics, but only because I was buying something else. It should be easy to get one at a supermarket.

I made marmelade at the weekend and it reached the temperature in 10 minutes. It wasn't wrinkling, but after my last batch of 'toffee marmelade' I stopped it boiling and left some. It set nicely after about 15 minutes so I put it into jars.

When I was at school I made plum jam in Housecraft. It wouldn't set and the teacher made me boil it for ages. In the end she said just put it in the jars.

When I got home it had set - boy had it set - we couldn't get a knife in it and it was all thrown out - jars and all.

Tricky stuff plum jam! :D
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If it's any help, when making jam from low-pectin fruit, I use lemon juice, but I also keep the pips from the lemons, tie them in a cotton bag (made from an old shirt sleeve - very MSE) and put that in with the fruit to boil. I then remove it before adding the sugar. I never use special sugar, or Certo, and certainly not gelatin, as I'm a veggie. I've never yet had a problem getting the jam to set. I think the lemon pips contain a high dose of pectin, and this makes the difference.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    Have put some on a plate and left to cool - think I may have been trying to wrinkle it too soon - patience has never been my strong point :rolleyes:

Put some dried cinnamon into it, and it tastes lovely, so just hoping it will set

Did it set charlies-mum?
  • charlies_mum
    Options
    It was still really runny, so I put it all back into the pan, added some lemon juice and boiled again. Last night it was still runny, but this morning it had set - I haven't opened a jar, so who knows, it might be like cement :D
  • jammy_dodger
    jammy_dodger Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    i have made and put in jars gooseberry jelly jam have made it before but this batch when i have come to use it is not quite set firm enough ..would it be possible to decant the jars back into pan and reboil it ? or should i just put up with a runny jelly help much appreciated cheers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure