PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help....My jam won't set

Options

Comments

• u751904
    u751904 Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi I've read a couple of jam threads but couldn't find an answer to this one. I'm on the brink of making some jam myself. I bought some jam off a lady at a church fete today. Fantastic jam. Made my mind up to have a go. I asked about pectin. She said she uses a few tbsp of apple juice. My jam making book doesn't mention this. It says to use commerical pectin or pectin sugar. So the book I have seems awfully complicated compared to some recipies that I've seen posted here.

So what is the score with pectin can I use lemon juice or apple juice as suggested?

Also I feel that fruit is actually quite expense to buy in shops sometimes do you actually find it cheaper to make than buy.

I have to say on taste home made appears to win hands down. thanks
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I have been making all sorts of jam for years and never added pectin to any of it, I put in a couple of spoons of lemon juice but that is as far as I go.
  • Rainy-Days
    Rainy-Days Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Options
    When I used ot make damson jam I only added lemon juice and that was it and it set fine! I used a fresh lemon not the stuff in the jar!
    Cat, Dogs and the Horses are our fag and beer money :D :beer:
  • suzybloo
    suzybloo Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have never added pectin or used preserving sugar, I only use fresh lemon juice for strawberry jam as it can be difficult to set, otherwise it is just the fruit and granulated sugar (and water if recipe requires eg blackcurrant). I have started using a thermometer and that certainly helps.
    good luck,
    Every days a School day!
  • u751904
    Options
    good - I am going to get some simpler recipes. What about cost of making the jam, do you feel it is cost effective. The quantities of fruit involved seem a lot ?
  • midnightraven3
    midnightraven3 Posts: 2,720 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    i am with everyone else, never use jam sugar, nor do i add pectin
    i use lemon juice, it brings out teh natural pectin in fruit
    pectin is made from apples, so that why it works too

making jam is cost effective if you grow your own fruit (or know someone who does) making your own jam is more about having a great quality preserve and know you made it yourself, and whats in it
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Cost does not enter into it as far as I am concerned, it is all about the taste.
    I pick the fruit from my own garden and make the jam, I probably give about half of it away as gifts so not very cost effective that way but the joy on the recipients faces is reward enough for me, I have even recently had a visit from someone that I had not seen in over 9 years asking if I still made jam, she had lost my address and had been asking around to find me.
  • skintbint_2
    skintbint_2 Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    Options
    i have never used any special sugar or pectin etc and it sets fine - have 3lb of blackcurrants ready to be made tomorrow, will just be the berries, water and sugar. do you have any allotments nearby - everybody grows rhubarb but seldom uses it, put an add on freecycle for fruit not be long until plums and apples are plentiful, watch out for the blackberries/brambles ripening over the next wee while depending on where you are in the country.

suzybloo pointed out to me earlier that when buying sugar beware check the prices Tescos are 82p for 1kg of sugar but only £1.22 for 2kg
    skintbint x
    here's tae us, wha's like us - fell few and and they're a deid"
    10k in 2010/£6988.30-69.88%@29/12/10, 11k in 2011/£897 07.04.11- fell by the wayside!!!
    12k in 2012 - £204.00 @ 4/1/12

do not confuse me with the other skintbint who joined dec2011 - i am the original bint:rotfl:
  • suzybloo
    suzybloo Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The way I justify the cost of making jams is that the taste and ingredients far outweigh the cost. All you have are two natural ingredients in the main, and with the flavour being far superior to purchased jam you dont need as much when using it. Tesco have 2kg of granulated sugar on for £1.32 = which equates to approx 4lb, strawberries are £1 a pound ready picked here, so for 4 x £1 plus £1.32 I can get approx 8 jars of Strawberry jam at a cost of less than 70p a 1lb jar. I also take into account what I can get for free, by exchange for a jar of jam when its made - do a trade off with someone, for example someone I know has lots of rhubarb so they give me some and in return I give them a jar of jar, or by picking wild blackberries, acquiring windfall apples etc. which in the grand scheme of things will reduce your overall cost of your preserve stores.
    Every days a School day!
  • u751904
    Options
    thanks ladies, I agree with the taste. I am bowled over with the taste of the jam I have bought today. Great ideas...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure