Video Games are not Evil!

Options
Dear Anyone who thinks video games are evil,

I'm sure you mean well by criticizing x game for letting you do y to a imaginary not real collection of light but, and I want you to pay attention here, its not real:eek:

Video games are a fun 'what if' form of entertainment, and allow people just to have a little release or escapism from their in the same way being immersed in a good film or book is.

And for every violent game you hear about there are weird and wonderful games that you don't.

Sure some people do bad things, and they might have played videogames before they did them, but truth is they would have always done those things if they wanted to do them.

Video games dont make you rob people anymore than wearing a hockey mask makes you kill people who go camping.

There are far worse things out there to blame violence on, here are some:

Religion
Money
Politics
Love
Hate
Greed
Jealousy
George Bush
Traffic
Fear
Hunger
Drugs
Alcohol
Illness

Comments

• reason2
    reason2 Posts: 362 Forumite
    Options
    agreed, its moronic to suggest video games or films make people behave violently..

my fav film is Saw - yet i havent entrapped anyone and told them i want to play a game..

9 times out of 10 its bad parenting
  • VSynth
    VSynth Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    My nephews used to kick and punch each other after watching PowerRangers...don't know where they got the idea from.
  • badly_dubbed
    Options
    VSynth wrote: »
    My nephews used to kick and punch each other after watching PowerRangers...don't know where they got the idea from.

My kids usually run around with Ak47's and Grenade launchers after watching army films....

nah just kidding....but as a kid i used to fight with my brother after watching van damme films etc :D
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yeah but they're just play fighting. If they got told off by parents for copying the power rangers I'm sure they'll stop doing it... Eventually. All depends on the punishment

I know a lot about this subject as it was part of uni. Course. Kids are more prone to copying action but only if they think its ok. If they get reprimanded or punished they'll learn its a bad thing to do
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So many games rely on various forms of "evil" in their play and sell - so I really don't know how anyone can deny that its not part of their appeal, at least to some?
  • WiggyDiggyPoo
    Options
    Whats really annoyed me recently as well is the story of the 15yr old bank robber (Nutshell - he robbed bank, mum found his stash, judge suggests he's been influenced by video game)

At no point has the boy actually said "well it looked easy" or "i thought it was a game", this is just a prime example of a judge (and subsequently the media) making a connection where there is no connection to be made.

Indeed the boy admitted during the hearing he was motivated by jealousy of his friends things not because of a video game.

Scaremongering for scaremongerings sake.
  • WiggyDiggyPoo
    Options
    pogofish wrote: »
    So many games rely on various forms of "evil" in their play and sell - so I really don't know how anyone can deny that its not part of their appeal, at least to some?

Define 'many', how many games can you name that rely on "evil" as a primary gameplay mechanic?
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I must admit I stabbed a stranger after playing assassins creed 3, however thankfully playing "Phoenix wright's ace attorney" had given me the skills to mount a convincing defence so I got off.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Most of them. Just look at any of the top sales lists - its much simpler to count the ones that don't.
  • reason2
    reason2 Posts: 362 Forumite
    Options
    its funny how they only talk about the bad.. if people copied video games then why dont they copy some of the other all time successes..

theme hospital - no one is running about trying to cure bloated head syndrome

sonic - kids arent trying to steal gold rings

parapper the rapper - self explanatory really - no one is doing kung fu whilst rapping.

its a scape goat everyone wants one and are oblivious to their own role in the childrens behaviour
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure