Dealership problems! *UPDATE First Post*

Options
Brallaqueen
Brallaqueen Posts: 1,355 Forumite
edited 1 October 2013 at 8:02PM in Motoring
After faffing about looking for a second hand car, my brothers and I ended up buying a new seat mii from a local seat dealership.

Initially it was not ready for the pick up time (Thursday 19th at 2pm) as they had just done the prep checks and found out the battery was flat. Ended up collecting the car at 5.30 as they had to put in new battery and code the cd player. They gave me a full tank of petrol by way of compensation.

They also said they would arrange for 7 days 'drive away' insurance so that I had time to set up the One year free insurance deal that came with the car. I then forgot about it and am partly to blame.

I rang the insurers this morning to set up the free insurance and the dealership never set up the 7 days drive away insurance so I have been driving un-insured the whole time. Again, I am partly to blame. I am very worried that this will come back on me in some way.

I have rang the dealership this morning as per advice from the insurers but they just took my number and said they would phone me back - that was 1.5 hours ago and I have heard nothing.

I am unhappy that the 7 days did not get set up in the first place, and have lost faith in the dealership because of this and the problems on the pick up day. but don't know what my next step would be. The free insurance deal ends today so I need to get it sorted.

Please help!

(edited to clarify insurance deal)

*********** UPDATE***************

Just to update:
the dealership are going to confirm whether the car was insured as it should have been (system down),

they have confirmed that I am ineligible for the free policy and that they made a mistake in saying that I was eligible

and have so far made a formal offer to cover 350 towards a similar insurance policy by way of compensation.

I have pointed out that as a driver in my first year, 350 is not going to cover costs, and salesperson has asked me to bring in quotes to discuss further.
Emergency savings: 4600
0% Credit card: 1965.00

Comments

• DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Insure your car and start driving.
  • jbainbridge
    Options
    http://www.confused.com and you're done. What's the problem?
  • Brallaqueen
    Brallaqueen Posts: 1,355 Forumite
    edited 30 September 2013 at 11:23AM
    Options
    The one year free insurance deal is part of the package and the insurers wont progress the call as the car is not registered at all.

I bought this particular car due to the free insurance (driving 1 year so insurance is expensive) bur Seat insurance just tell me to get in touch with the dealership as they cannot find the details for the car.

(edited to clarify)
  • spacey2012
    Options
    How can you forget your car is not insured ?
    You either have a certificate of insurance or a cover note or you have no insurance.
    Do not drive the car until you have insurance, the first traffic police car you pass in either direction and your car is going to the pound and you are getting six points and a fixed penalty notice, if and only if, you do not give them any tall story about "thinking " you were insured.
    Be happy...;)
  • jbainbridge
    jbainbridge Posts: 2,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 30 September 2013 at 11:26AM
    Options
    Ok, sorry. You didn't explain the problem very well.

Keep ringing the dealership until you get to speak to someone who can help. If you think you are not insured at the moment the best advice is not to risk driving (any more) until you are.

At the very least get them to sort out the 7 day insurance - while you are on the phone. The guy we recently bought off did this in a few minutes while we sat there.
  • fivetide
    fivetide Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    Options
    I'd be after the dealer principle. If they were meant to have insured the car for you (local toyota dealer did the same thing for me recently) then they should have done it rather than let you drive off in an illegal car.

I don't think there is much you can do other than keep at them and see if they'll throw something in by way of apology.
    What if there was no such thing as a rhetorical question?
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Your ONLY option is to ring the dealership and stay on the phone until they sort it.

Explain you only bought the car because it had one years free insurance.

Ask for the sales manager if they keep fobbing you off. More often than not if you escalate a call to a manager problems get resolved much quicker...
    :)
  • Brallaqueen
    Options
    Ok, sorry. You didn't explain the problem very well.

Yes, I'm very sorry I didn't explain it very well - panicking a bit!

Thank you for your help.
  • OddballJamie
    Options
    According to the terms, the insurance start date must be the date of registration.
    https://www.insurewithseat.co.uk/mii/

I'm still getting my head round spending £9,000 to get 'free insurance'. Are you planning on getting a new one every year?
  • fivetide
    fivetide Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, I'm very sorry I didn't explain it very well - panicking a bit!

Thank you for your help.

Personally I thought you explained it fine. Just took a bit of time to read and understand is all! :beer:
    What if there was no such thing as a rhetorical question?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure