Opodo overcharging

Options
2»

Comments

• photome
    photome Posts: 16,369 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    edited 30 September 2013 at 6:06PM
    Options
    Alan_Bowen wrote: »
    A warning to 'old' Opodo users, the business was bought by E dreams of Barcelona and the customer service appears to be non existent and complaints of overcharging by E dreams fills this and many other boards. Beware!

I didnt know that. I am aware of the shocking customer service from E dreams so that is good to know.

I wont be using Opodo again

EDIT just googled it and it was bought buy the same owners as E dreams who alo run SAGA, guess that doesnt on the face of it appear quite so bad
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I didn't know that and with kayak being selective (some flights on the airlines no longer show on kayak for some reason) the world of flight sellers gets even more limited, would mind but Opodo used to be owned by an airline collective - if they can't make it work...
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,334 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    visidigi wrote: »
    I didn't know that and with kayak being selective (some flights on the airlines no longer show on kayak for some reason) the world of flight sellers gets even more limited, would mind but Opodo used to be owned by an airline collective - if they can't make it work...

For quite a long time I used to find Opodo more expensive than other on-line agents, so no great loss. I just hope that they will continue to offer sufficient competition to keep the likes of Expedia good value. As always, if you want customer service then go to Trailfinders.
  • spirelli
    Options
    Opodo is still playing this game. They advertise cheap prices to get themselves to the top of comparison listings and then charge more!

Yesterday I bought a flight. Advertised price was £525 (found on comparison site Momondo, and then also shown on the Opodo site). After I've selected the flights I was presented with the page to add the travellers' details.

At the bottom of the page the actual price was now more than £550!– more than other competitors were offering! Only when I looked back to the top of the page I noticed a message saying something to the effect "Your flight price has changed due to airline charges".

I'm sure a lot of people miss this. In the end I went ahead anyway since I already filled in the lengthy form.

Interestingly, I later tested again. And the same mechanism was in place. A cheaper rate advertised and then a higher price given after flight selection – although their system should by now have learned about any additional changes. I just don't believe them that they only find out about 'airline charges' there and then. They are fleecing customers!
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    spirelli wrote: »
    They are fleecing customers!

Well done for helping to keep them in business by sending them your money just because you couldn't be bothered filling in your details on another site.
  • spirelli
    Options
    jpsartre wrote: »
    Well done for helping to keep them in business by sending them your money just because you couldn't be bothered filling in your details on another site.

You don't have any idea about my reasons and circumstances under which I had to book! If, at the time, I had the chance to go elsewhere I would have done. So, keep your irony/sarcasm for yourself. Shouldn't even have bothered posting here...
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,369 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    spirelli wrote: »
    You don't have any idea about my reasons and circumstances under which I had to book! If, at the time, I had the chance to go elsewhere I would have done. So, keep your irony/sarcasm for yourself. Shouldn't even have bothered posting here...

but you said

In the end I went ahead anyway since I already filled in the lengthy form.

suggesting you couldnt be bothered to go elsewhere
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had the same experience with Opodo in May.

The Manchester to New York flight went up by over £100 as I was typing. I did not book with them!
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • SW17
    SW17 Posts: 859 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Although they don't like to show it on their website, Opodo is owned by EDreams Odigeo, and looks like they have adopted the same search/display policy of not showing the full fare until the very last second in the booking process. I don't book with either of them, but have been told that you only see the full cost on the very last screen where you confirm payment.

In fact, BA and Iberia recently withdrew ticketing from some Edreams Odigeo sites because of this lack of transparently, primarily because they appeared to be selling BA/IB flights cheaper than the airline (of course not cheaper once all the fees got added).

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/10/25/edreams-odigeo-britishairways-idUKL6N0SK0HR20141025
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure